Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Whatever your challenges are when you're shooting outside, this Sigma Photo 150-500mm f/5-6.3 lens will have you covered. Fast action sports at your daughter's lacrosse match? The long reach will get you the dramatic close-up from across the field. A rare, colorful finch near the top of the canopy during your woodland hike? Optical stabilization lets you bring home sharp, vibrant pictures while working hand-held because you can shoot at slower shutter speeds. And quiet, fast autofocus means you'll be ready for candids and architectural details while traveling, even if the ideal moment is fleeting. And this lens features 25% more reach than its popular sibling, the Sigma Photo 120-400mm telephoto zoom, so it's perfect for those moments when you need to get a touch closer.
Careful attention to the optical build quality has yielded a lens that's sturdy, sharp across the entire frame, and free of color irregularities throughout the zoom range. If you're taking your camera outside at all, for almost any purpose, a zoom telephoto like this one is a welcome addition to your kit.
- 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG APO OS HSM telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Nikon film and digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 150-500mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 225-750mm with Nikon APS-C sensor cameras
- built-in optical stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times
- 3 special low-dispersion glass elements for impressive contrast and clarity
- super multi-layer lens coating minimizes flaring and ghosting
- minimum aperture: f/22
- minimum focus distance: 7.25 feet
- constructed of 21 elements in 15 groups
- filter size: 86mm
- lens is 10-3/16" long, 3-3/4" in diameter
- weight: 62.8 ounces
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- carrying case, lens hood, front and rear lens caps
Sigma Photo 150-500mm f/5-6.3 Zoom Lens Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great lens for the price, so far!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I picked up this lens only two weeks ago, in advance of a winter trip to Yellowstone National Park. I was able to capture some excellent wildlife photographs with the lens mounted on my Canon T3i last week at Yellowstone. The lens is quite sharp on large subjects, even out to 500mm...a bit less so on smaller subjects. Regardless, I am extremely happy with my purchase, as I would not have been able to capture such great close-ups of coyotes, bison, and wolves without the lens. It is also surprisingly manageable handheld. I actually ran into several other photographers who had used this lens previously before upgrading to considerably more expensive Canon bodies and lenses. They were also extremely happy with Sigma's performance. For the price, it really can't be beat.
Pros: High quality images, durability, price
Cons: None, considering the price range (larger aperture would be great, but that adds considerably to cost)
Sigma Photo 150-500mm f/5-6.3 Zoom Lens
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This Lens is just what I wanted. Great for wildlife photos.
Pros: Price a working Man can afford
Cons: at this time none
What's in the box?
- Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM zoom lens for Nikon
- LCF-86 III Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap
- LH927-01 Lens hood
- TS-31 Tripod socket (installed)
- Soft padded case
- Shoulder strap for case
- Shoulder strap for lens
- Warranty Card
- Limited Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Maximum Aperture||f/5 (W) - 6.3 (T)|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM is an ultra telephoto zoom lens, designed to be used with full-frame cameras. It can also be used with smaller APS-C size sensors with an effective increase in focal length of 255mm to 850mm. It is a great lens for travel, nature, and wildlife. The lens has the Nikon bayonet-mount.
Lens Hood: The Sigma 150-500mm lens includes a lens hood to help prevent stray light from entering the lens, causing flare, and to protect the lens from rain, snow, and dust. When not in use, the lens hood can be inverted and mounted onto the lens backwards for storage.
Tripod Ring: Because of the weight of the lens, a tripod ring is included which lets you mount the lens onto a tripod. This provides better balance and stability when shooting for long periods of time. You can rotate the lens inside the tripod ring to allow you to shoot images in portrait orientation with the lens attached to the tripod.
Optical Stabilizer: The built-in Optical Stabilizer allows for handheld photography, even in low light scenarios, and compensates for image blurring caused by camera shake. There are 2 OS modes: Mode 1 compensates for overall camera shake, while Mode 2 detects vertical shake that occurs when panning the camera horizontally.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens features a two-way switch for setting the focus mode: AF (auto focus) or MF (manual focus).
Zoom Lock: The 150-500mm lens features a zoom lock to prevent the lens from extending due to gravity when the lens is tilted downward. The lock keeps the lens set at the 150mm position until you are ready to shoot.
Sigma Technology: The lens has the following Sigma technology built-in:
- Apochromatic (APO): In order to attain the highest quality images, the APO lens has been made using special low-dispersion (SLD) glass and is designed to minimize color aberration.
- Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM): The Hyper Sonic Motor uses ultrasonic waves to drive the autofocus mechanism. This extremely quiet operation helps avoid disturbing photographic subjects, and isn't picked up by the microphone while recording video.
- Super Multi-layer Coating: Sigma's own Super Multi-layer Coating suppresses lens flare and ghosting by preventing reflections within the lens.
- Rounded Diaphragm: Using a rounded diaphragm instead of a polygonal shaped one produces pleasingly rounded out-of-focus light points when opened to near maximum aperture.
- Rear Focusing System: Sigma uses a focusing system that moves the rear lens group, for high speed, silent focusing.
- Lens Construction: 21 Elements in 15 Groups
- Angle of View: 16.4° to 5°
- Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
- Maximum Aperture: f/5-6.3
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 86.6"
- Filter Size: 86mm
- Maximum Magnifications: 1:5.2
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.723", Length=10.179"
- Weight: 67.4 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Are the zoom lenses Nikon [ jude Jun 19, 2014 ]
I have no regrets on this purchase! I have been very impressed with this lens and it takes extremely sharp pictures. I had also debated the similar Tamron lens, but own another Tamron lens and this Sigma is really much clearer. [ Lauren Jun 10, 2014 ]
I bought the Canon version of this lens. I absolutely love it. Pictures are sharp and crisp. Only recommendation I have is to get a telescopic monopod. The lens has some weight to it and after the first time using it my shoulder was aching. I use this lens at all of my kids lacrosse games and am so happy I made this purchase! [ KEVIN Jun 10, 2014 ]