Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Lightning strikes again
Lightning Audio makes a great line of amplifiers that'll appeal to car audio fans everywhere. Their compact LA-1000MDMINI mono amp will hit your subs with up to 500 watts RMS, giving your sound a strong foundation. This handsome little amp packs its big wallop using Class D amp technology that allows it to be small enough — about 6" by 9" — and run cool enough to fit almost anywhere in your vehicle.
You'll use the low-pass filter to send the right frequencies to your sub system, then tame the extreme low end with a variable subsonic filter, so your sub and enclosure will sound their best. A selectable bass boost adds some bottom to the mix when you need it, and Lightning Audio includes a wired remote that lets you control your sub's level from the front seat.
LA-1000MDMINI control panel
- mono subwoofer amplifier
- 250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- variable low-pass filter (35-250 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- selectable bass boost (0, 6, 12 dB at 45 Hz)
- variable subsonic filter (15-55 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- wired remote level control included
- Class-D amplifier design
- frequency response: 20-250 Hz
- preamp inputs
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 60-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 60-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and the amplifier is recommended
- 9"W x 2-5/16"H x 6-5/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
My system has plenty of power. Who needs an amp?
You might think you don't need an amp because you have a 400-watt system in your car, or because your new stereo puts out 50 watts a channel. But those are peak wattage ratings, which may boil down to 15 or 20 watts per channel, using the more realistic RMS rating. An amp sends your speakers the power they need to deliver your music with clarity and impact, whether you're using factory speakers or high-performance components. And low-frequency reproduction requires lots of power, so an amp is an absolute must if you're adding a sub to your system.
Lightning Audio LA-1000MDMINI Reviews
What's in the box?
- Mono amplifier
- Wired Remote Bass Control
- 16' Remote cable (RJ-25 Connector on both ends)
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 2mm Allen wrench
- Four 1/2" Self-tapping screws
- Two 3/8" Flat-head screws
- Instructions (English/ German/ French/ Spanish/ Italian)
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
250 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||1000 x 1|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||500 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-250 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||95 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||35-250 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0, 6, 12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||45 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Bass Boost: A three position switch sets the bass boost; 0 dB, +6 dB, or +12 dB, centered at 45 Hz.
Gain: The rotary gain control is adjustable from 150mV to 4V.
Crossover: The amp is equipped with a low-pass crossover, variable from 35 to 250 Hz; the slope is 12 dB/octave. This being a mono subwoofer amp, the crossover is always engaged.
Subsonic Filter: The subsonic filter is variable from 15 to 55 Hz. Ultra-low frequencies that cannot be reproduced by a subwoofer do not become sound but become unnecessary oscillations, which affect sound by causing distortion. These frequencies also waste amplifier power and can cause damage to speakers. The Infrasonic filter removes frequencies below the setting, to improve the performance of the speakers by eliminating harmful distortion.
Wired Remote: An RJ-25 jack is provided for connecting the included wired remote, allowing remote control of the amplifier from the front of the vehicle. The supplied 16' cable, with RJ-25 phone plugs at each end, connects the wired remote level control to the amplifier.
Note: The Remote Bass Control measures approximately 2-1/8" wide (2-7/8" including the mounting flange) x 1-1/8" high x 1-7/8" deep (2-1/2" deep including the knob and wiring).
- Battery: set screw terminal; accepts
up to 4 gauge wire
- Fuse: an external 60-amp fuse (not included) must be installed on the power wire; if a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 60-amps, the original should be replaced with a 60-amp fuse
- Remote: set screw terminal; accepts up to 10 gauge wire
- GND (ground): set screw terminal; accepts up to 4 gauge wire
- Speaker Output: two pair of set screw terminals; accept up to 10 gauge wire; the to outputs are internally wired in parallel, making it easy to connect two subwoofers (minimum combined impedance is 2Ω)
- Line Inputs: 1 pair of stereo RCA jacks
- Wired Remote: RJ-25 jack for included wired remote