Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The NAVIGON 5100 portable navigator brings a different look to GPS with its chrome-and-black finish, and you'll find a couple of features that set it apart from the competition. You'll see unique photo-realistic images of complicated intersections, providing the best possible guidance to get you through particularly difficult maneuvers. It also provides subscription-free traffic updates in metropoliltan areas, for no-hassle congestion coverage without costly fees.
The NAVIGON 5100's bright 3.5" color touchscreen gives you access to maps of the U.S. and Canada, along with 1.7 million points of interest, so you'll always know where you are. The maps come preloaded on an included Secure Digital (SD) memory card so you can update them easily in the future.
Innovative navigation features
The NAVIGON 5100 offers more than basic 2-D and 3-D map views and typical voice prompts for guidance. Text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns, so you can keep your eyes on the road. The device also recommends the optimal lane for sticking to your route. The map display rotates 90 degrees to give you a different perspective, especially helpful when traveling on foot.
The NAVIGON 5100 can alert you when you're traveling over the speed limit, for safer driving. A preloaded database of Zagat Survey® ratings of restaurants, hotels, and more gives you expert advice on where to wine, dine, and play along your journey.
Reality View shows you the way
Reality View gives you highly accurate representations of upcoming intersections, with photo-realistic views that are easy to follow so you'll know exactly where to turn. Reality View presents crucial lane guidance and even shows you the exact text of highway signs, removing the guesswork when it comes to complicated junctions.
Free traffic information
A built-in traffic-information receiver provides you with real-time updates on congestion along your route in most metropolitan areas, including three Canadian cities. The navigator routes you around the problem areas so you can be on your way. Unlike other portable GPS units, the traffic-info service with the NAVIGON 5100 doesn't require any subscription fees.
- GPS satellite navigation unit with built-in antenna
- suction-cup windshield mount
- headphone jack
- car and home power adapters, USB cable, carrying case, and built-in rechargeable battery with up to 4 hours of life
- 3.5" (320 x 240 pixels) widescreen touch control
- 1.7 million points of interest
- SD card preloaded with maps of the U.S. and Canada
- text-to-speech technology lets voice prompts announce road names over the built-in speaker
- FM-TMC traffic-info receiver kit (free lifetime subscription)
- database of Zagat Survey ratings
- photo-realistic intersection views (Reality View)
- SD card slot
Other features and specs:
- dimensions: 4-1/4"W x 3-5/16"H x 15/16"D
- weight: 6.4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Who needs a portable navigator?
A portable navigator eliminates the issue of phone coverage. You don't use data, and you always have maps - even when your phone has no (or slow) service. The maps in a portable navigator are superior to your phone's maps, as are the turn-by-turn directions. Modern GPS navigators have larger screens than most phones, so it's easier to see the map at a glance. Navigators with 3D maps really help you orient yourself quickly in urban areas. If you've got a lead foot, most navigators can also warn you when you are exceeding the speed limit.
NAVIGON® 5100 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
POOR SOUND ( CAN'T HEAR THE INSTRUCTIONS)
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I am a new customer to Crutchfield. They are excellent professional people. But the product is not. You cannot hear the voice instructions. I switched off the radio, rolled up all the windows, asked my fellow pasengers to maintain silence, asked my co passenger to lean towards to the speaker and hear the instructions, at times switch off A/C....but inspite of these efforts, we were not able to hear.
Spoke with Navigon and Crutchfield. Did all the possible trouble shooting, then finally got another replacement. But found that even the replacement is also having the same problem. Hence retured that too.
But one thing became clearer to me. I would always buy things from Crutchfield. I have got a positive shopping experience out of a failed product.
I Like it!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I got this to try,
as I've never had a
GPS before. So far,
it's been a great
unit. The mount is
excellent -- never
fell off even on
very rough roads and
it places the unit
low, out of the way.
The free map updates
and lifetime traffic
are what really sold
me. The only
drawback is the low
sound -- it's hard
to hear with the
radio on. As usual,
service is superb.
Decent navigation; very weak POI's
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
1. Very nice looking unit.
2. Fast satellite acquisition.
3. Very user friendly.
4. Shows side street names for reference.
5. Generally very accurate as far as your location on the road.
1. VERY WEAK POI database. Navigon rep
was very evasive when I asked how many POI's their units have. Also, a lot of POI's in the wrong
location (like across the street).
2. The windshield mounting is "modern", but VERY cumbersome.
3. A couple of times it told me my destination was on the left when it was
on the right. I know this technology is not perfect, but it's irritating.
4. I tested routing to my house and work. It was fair. Certainly not the
Returning the unit. Certainly not worth the money. Maybe a TomTom.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
It works for basic navigation.
The mapping display and speed of re-routing.
The holder for the windshield is solid.
It tells you the street names your are looking for, although the phonetics are very basic.
No repeat last instruction button.
Traffic function only is supported in select areas(although this may be true with all navigators.
As always Crutchfield customer service and returns is the best out there.
What's in the box?
- Portable GPS Navigator
- North America map on SD-card in clear plastic case
- Car charger with attached 58" cord terminated by a mini-USB type-B connector
- 52" USB cable with a USB type-A connector on one end and a mini-USB type-B connector on other end
- TMC antenna with attached 59" cord terminated by a gold-plated 3.5mm minijack connector with two suction cups mounted to cord
- Mounting arm
- Adhesive mounting pad
- Softy carrying pouch
- Software Manual + Hardware Manual CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Safe Operation Tips booklet
- Mounting arm instructions
- Stop note
- "First Start Up" note
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Navigon window decal
Features and Specs
|Points of Interest||1,700,000|
|Multiple Destination Routing||Yes|
|Digital Audio Playback||---|
|Text To Speech||Yes|
|Dynamic Content Services||---|
|Removable Memory Type||SD card|
|Battery Life||4 Hours|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Navigon 5100 GPS Navigator offers state-of-the-art navigation technology in a device that is less than 1-inches thick and features a polished chrome housing. The unit features intuitive menus, easy to read 2D and 3D map views, clear voice guidance via text-to-speech, as well as many other navigational features.
GPS Navigation: GPS is based on a total of 24 satellites that circle the earth and are constantly transmitting their position. The Navigon 5100 GPS Navigator uses this data and calculates its own geographical position on the basis of the information transmitted by the various satellites. For a sufficiently precise position it is necessary to obtain the data from at least three satellites. Once the Navigon 5100 has determined your position, it can be used as a starting point for your route calculation. The map data on the GPS Navigator includes geographical coordinates of all digitally recorded Points of Interest (POIs), streets, and places. This enable the Navigon 5100 to calculate a route between a starting point and a destination. The calculation of the unit's current position and its representation on the map takes place once every second so your current position is always shown on the unit's map screen. If GPS reception is impaired, navigation data will be interrupted but the navigation software remains active. As soon as GPS reception is restored, the Navigon 5100 calculates any change of position which has occurred in the meantime and navigation data will simply be continued.
GPS Antenna: The unit features a built-in GPS antenna so there is no necessary installation of an external antenna. The unit does offer an external antenna socket for connecting an external GPS antenna if you are having trouble obtaining GPS satellite signal.
Maps: The unit features an SD-card slot and comes supplied with an SD card preloaded with NAVTEQ maps of North America (USA and Canada), excluding Mexico.
Integrated TMC (Traffic Information) Receiver: The Navigon 5100 has an integrated TMC-receiver which provides the navigation unit with up to date traffic messaging to advise you on traffic flows and incidents. If necessary, it can alter the route dynamically in order to avoid a traffic jam. This real-time traffic information works right out of the box without any additional fees. For optimal reception, you should use the supplied TMC antenna which connects to the unit via a 3.5mm minijack and adheres to your windshield by suction.
Note: This function is only available if TMC traffic information are being transmitted in the city in which you are traveling. Please see the following web-sites for cities that offer TMC - http://navigonusa.com/products/traffic.html.
Text-To-Speech Technology: The Navigon 5100 features a built-in speaker with spoken driving directions and street names with advanced text-to-speech technology for easier navigation.
Multi-Language: This unit supports English, French and Spanish for its menu display and Text-To-Speech feature.
Lane Assistant: The Lane Assistant feature helps in knowing when to change lanes by advising the best lane to be in relative to your current route.
LCD Color Display: The Navigon 5100 features a 3.5" LCD color touch-panel display (320 x 240 pixels) for easy visibility and operation.
Software Keyboard: A software alphanumeric keyboard appears on the unit's touch-panel screen when text entries are necessary.
Auto-Complete: This features helps you find your destination quickly by displaying list of cities as soon as you enter the first and second letter.
Password Protection: By created a password for the Navigon 5100, you can protect the navigation system from unauthorized use.
Built-In Rechargeable Battery: The Navigon 5100 is equipped with a 1200 mAh Lithium Ion battery which allows up to 4 hours of operation. The unit comes supplied with a car charger to supply power to the unit while mounted in your vehicle as well as charge the GPS unit. It takes approximately 4 to 5 hours for the unit to fully charge.
Mounting: The Navigon 5100 come supplied with a mounting arm that features a suction cup mount to attach to your windshield and an angle-adjustable ball-joint to attach the GPS receiver. The mounting arm also comes with an adhesive disc to mount the GPS unit to your dash or console.
Selecting Destinations: The Navigon 5100 GPS Navigator features the following ways to select your destination.
- Enter and Address: This function allows you to select your destination by street address, city name or both.
- Search POI: Points of Interest (POIs)
are useful addresses that are organized according to particular criteria
such as airports, restaurants, hotels, gas stations, government offices,
banks, hospitals, shopping centers, etc. This unit has over 1 million POIs.
You can search POIs in the following ways.
- Nearby: POIs nearby are special destinations that are located within a given radius of your current location so you can always find the near gas station, restaurant or hotel, etc.
- In a City: POIs in a given location can be useful when navigating in an unfamiliar town. You can search for POIs in a particular town or city.
- Nationwide: POIs of nationwide significance are such places like airports, places of interest, national monuments, etc. This enables you to fin POIs without having to know the name of the exact location.
- POI Quick Access: The quick access feature contains three categories of POIs. Destinations in your vicinity that correspond to these categories can be listed quickly without the need for additional entry.
- ZAGAT Survey Ratings: NAVIGON 5100 offers ZAGAT Survey Ratings and Reviews so you know the best places to go. ZAGAT ratings augment millions of points of interest spanning a host of categories such as Attractions, Golf Courses, Hotels, Nightlife, Restaurants, etc.
- Favorites: You can save destinations you travel to often for quicker access.
- Last Destinations: This is a list of all the destination that you have previously navigated to.
- Take Me Home: You can save your home address so you can navigate to your home by activating a single button.
- Map: You may indicate a destination directly on the unit's map by tapping the map screen.
Route Profile: You can set the following parameters to customize your route.
- Speed Profile: You can select travel by Car, Bicycle or Pedestrian.
- Type Of Route: You can select the unit to calculate the Fastest Route, Optimum Route, Shortest Route or Scenic Route.
- Traffic Information: You can choose whether or not the unit uses its built-in traffic information receiver to help calculate your route.
- Roadways: You can select the unit to avoid or allow the following roadways - Highway, Toll Roads, Ferries or U-turns.
Turn-By-Turn List: You can display detailed directions of the calculated route before starting navigation or at any time during navigation. This list displays all of the driving instructions in table form.
Arriving At Destination: A message displays when you have reached your destination. Only your current position (triangle in orange) will now be shown on the map screen.
Planned And Simulated Routes: Its is possible to plan routes in the comfort of your home without GPS reception. Planned routes can be saved for later use, allowing you to plan as many routes as you like. Its is also possible to simulate navigation.
Navigation Mode Settings: When the unit is in Navigation mode, you can adjust the following settings.
- 2D/3D Map: This feature changes between a 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional view of the unit's map screen. You can select the 2D map orientation to Always North or In Direction of Travel.
- Day/Night: This feature changes the unit's screen brightness for daylight or nighttime driving.
- Interim Destination: This setting allows you to enter an interim destination into your navigation route. The navigation system will first guide you to this interim destination and then continue to your original destination.
- Skip Route Point: This function allows you to omit the next route point.
- Block: This feature blocks a section of the route that lies in front of your and recalculates the route in order to avoid this section of the route.
- POI On Your Route: This function displays POIs on your route. This enables you to find out how far its is to the nearest places of interest.
Map Zoom Modes: The Navigon 5100 offers the following Map Zoom modes.
- Zoom Mode: Allows you to plot a map section to zoom.
- Zoom Out: The map section shown becomes larger, but you will see fewer details.
- Zoom In: The map section becomes smaller, but you will see more details.
- Pan Mode: Allows you to move through the zoomed map section.
- Entire Route: Zooms the map so that the entire route is visible.
- Current Position: Selects the map section shown so that the current location is centered.
Map Points Of View: The unit offers a Landscape and Portrait view of the map screen. The Landscape mode gives you a widescreen view of the map, while the Portrait mode looks and feels like a cell phone screen.
Reality View (Junction View): When you approach a highway junction during navigation, the map will change to Reality View mode. The Reality View mode shows the signposting and lanes you must follow. This display remain unchanged until you have passed the highway junction. The map will then change back to Navigation mode.
Note: Reality View mod is not available for every highway junction. Availability is dependent on the map data in use.
Logbook: You can use the Navigon 5100 to record a logbook or keep track of your vehicle mileage for tax purposes or for expense reports. This device supports various types of trips for which you can record mileage. You can record for mileage for Business, Personal, Trip to Work, Trip Away from Work, Job with Changing Locations, Job as a driver, Trip to second household, or Trip away from second household.
Note: When logbook recording is started, every movement of your vehicle will be recorded, even when you are not navigating.
Speed Limit Warnings: You can set the unit to warn you on certain speed limits as well as warn you if you are traveling over the speed limit by 5, 10, 15, or 20 MPH.
Antenna: This connection is used for an external GPS antenna.
TMC/Headset Connector: This 3.5mm jack is for use with the supplied TMC antenna or can be used with an optional headset.
Memory Card Slot: The unit features an SD card slot for inputting map data from the supplied SD card.
USB Port: The Navigon 5100 features a mini-USB 1.1 type-B port and come supplied with a USB cable for connecting the unit to your PC. This unit requires the following system environment.
- PC needed to use additional map data
- Windows 2000/ME/XP
- CD-ROM drive
- USB port
- SD/MMC card reader recommended
CPU: Samsung 244-400Mhz
Operating System: Microsoft Windows CE Net 5.0
Memory: ROM = 256MB, RAM = 64MB
GPS: Built-in SiRF GPS III, 20 channels
TMC: Built-in GNS FM4_V7
Display: 3.5" LCD-Color touch-screen display (320 x 240 pixels)
Rechargeable Battery: Built-in Li-Ion, 1200 mAh
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.