Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sleek looks and strong performance
Some people look at a home theater receiver as being strictly utilitarian. Others want something that fits in nicely with their decor. Harman Kardon's AVR 1710 blends stylish looks and a compact form along with plenty of features and power. How do they do it? A key component is Harman's GreenEdge technology. This receiver uses a digital power supply integrated with a Class A/B amplifier. That means you get a lightweight, energy-efficient receiver that's slimmer than most seven-channel models, yet still ensures your speakers will practically jump with lively, dynamic sound.
Seven channels offer setup versatility
What do you get when you move from a five-channel receiver to a seven-channel receiver? With the AVR 1710, you get options. You can add back surround speakers to your five-channel setup, for home theater sound that's even more enveloping and dynamic. Or, use those extra two channels as front height speakers — it's a great way to create a huge soundstage at the front of the room. Or, you could re-assign those extra channels to power Zone 2 speakers in a second room. Let the kids watch a movie in 5.2-channel surround sound in the home theater, while you enjoy some music in your bedroom or on your porch.
Unleash your tunes with Bluetooth and AirPlay
When it comes to music, what matters most is being able to listen to as much music as easily as possible. The easiest way is with the AVR 1710's Bluetooth capability, so you can stream music directly from your smartphone or tablet. Harman's TrueStream improves the sound of Bluetooth, for near CD-quality streaming. Connect this receiver to your network router, and you can start listening to free Internet radio stations and music stored on networked computers or music servers. Also, if you're an Apple® user, you can stream music wirelessly from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or iTunes® on your computer using AirPlay. There's also a front-panel USB port for plugging in an iPod®, iPad®, or iPhone®, or a flash memory device loaded with MP3s.
App control with your smartphone or tablet
Your smartphone or tablet isn't just for streaming music to the AVR 1710. It can also control it. Download the free Harman Kardon Remote app to your iOS® or Android™ device, connect your receiver to your network router, and you've got a touchscreen remote that's easy to operate.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at less than 0.07% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- EzSet/EQ III automatic speaker calibration optimizes the receiver's sound for your room and speaker setup
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- Internet-ready for listening to music from a networked computer or compatible device; plays MP3 and WMA files
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer running iTunes
- listen to free Internet radio streams with built-in support for vTuner
- built-in Bluetooth with Harman's TrueStream for high-quality wireless music streaming with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- MHL-ready HDMI input for accessing content from select Android smartphones and tablets
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod, iPhone, iPad, or USB memory device
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- Zone 2 powered and line-level stereo outputs allow simultaneous two-room listening with different audio sources
- amp assign function lets you use Surround Back speaker outputs for Front Height or Zone 2 speakers
- optical/coaxial digital and HDMI sources cannot be output to Zone 2
- HDMI 1.4 audio/video switching: 6 in, 2 out (parallel)
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from an iPod, iPhone, iPad, or USB memory device
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- 2 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 2 preamp outputs for powered subwoofers
- outputs for seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- Ethernet port
- IR in and trigger out for use with optional controllers
- 1/4" headphone jack
- free Harman Kardon Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 3D video pass-through
- GreenEdge technology uses an advanced digital power supply integrated with Class A/B amplification for energy-efficient, high-performance power
- 30 AM/FM presets
- programmable remote control
- 17-5/16"W x 4-3/4"H x 11-13/16"D
- weight: 11 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Harman Kardon AVR 1710 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
A good, basic device
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The unit was easy to set up and configure. Sound quality is good and it's easy to use. There are a few quirks that detract from the user experience. The unit delivers plenty of power and is a nice receiver to start a home theater system with,
Pros: Easy setup, good sound, easy to operate.
Cons: Several minor annoyances: - No standby HDMI passthrough - Can't "skip" while paging through source (e.g. you have to wait several seconds when you land on "Bluetooth", for instance) - Can't auto-configure night mode - Can't use TV audio when desired.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This new receiver meets all expectations. Quick easy set up . Remote is lacking for a AVR should light up and has no codes for Verizon fios cablebox very small print/buttons . The internet radio is awesome . Used polk tl250 speakers and polk subwoofer . Very happy with sound .
Pros: light weight attractive
Cons: Remote to difficult to use need a universal to control A HOME THEATRE SETUP.
Harman Kardon AVR 1710
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I bought a "Scratch and Dent" model and have not found the scratch or the dent. That aside I have enjoyed the 1710 so far. It has a richer sound that the previous Sony AVR I had. Set up was easy and only really had to do minor tweaks to volume levels after using the auto tune mic. I would be happy with this unit at the regular price but at the "Scratch and Dent" price I feel like a got a real bargain.
Pros: Again easy setup. Rich full sound. Great low end response. Clean looks.
Cons: You have to choose between a 7.1 or 7.2 set up and having a zone 2. Using zone 2 your surround is limited to 5.1
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I was hoping to get more out of this received on the AirPlay. I am admittedly trying to learn AirPlay and was seeking guidance on being able to play through Zone 2. I basically had to buy this to find out that it does not so won't work for me. it is sleek looking and a good size with good sound and fairly easy set up though.
Harman Kardon AVR 1710
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Very Easy To Setup. All the functions worked great out of the box. I had it paired by BT out of the box in seconds. I like the smaller format of this receiver which I really needed in my entertainment system. It's been a 2.0 stereo setup, then a 5.0 stereo setup. I recently paired this with a wireless transmitter/receiver and a Klipsch SW-311 subwoofer. Each setup took a couple minutes and sounds great. I'm very pleased with this overall
Pros: Smaller size compared to comparable units from other manufacturers. Easy to navigate menu Works well in any speaker configurations. Ex. 2 speaker stereo or 5.1 surround (If your building your stereo) Could self tune itself with included mic. After you can manually adjust the auto tune as a fine tune 100 Watt RMS compared to other 100 peak
Cons: I wish the volume knob backlight was default to turn off after a couple seconds. Shouldn't remain on all the time, and need to be configured to turn off.
Harman Kardon AVR1710
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
A really great product.
What's in the box?
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Remote control (AVR161)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Auto calibration microphone (w/ 22' cable)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Limited Warranty Sheet
- Important Safety Instructions
Features and Specs
7-Channel Amplifier w/ Digital Power Supply: The Harman/Kardon AVR1710 employs a 7ch amplifier rated a 100 watts with 2 channels driven (8Ω, 20-20kHz, 0.07% THD). While the amplifier retains the time-tested Harman Kardon high-current capacity (HCC) ultra-wide bandwidth design to ensure the most accurate, dynamic sound with enhanced clarity and realism even at the highest listening levels, a digitally based power supply gives the amplifier all the wattage it needs without the weight of a traditional power-supply design and its heavy transformers.
Amplifier Assignment: The H/K AVR170's seven discrete amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, and Surround Back Left/Right for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Pro Logic IIx 7.1ch playback.
- Front Height: The receiver's amplifier channels can also be configured as Front Left/Right, Front Height Left/Right, Center, and Surround Left/Right for Dolby Pro Logic IIz 7.1ch playback.
- Zone2: In addition, the AVR1710's amplifier channels can be configured as Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, and Zone 2 for Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1ch playback in the main zone and 2ch PCM playback in the second zone.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Harman Kardon AVR1710 supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
EzSet/EQ III Calibration: The new Harman EzSet/EQ III auto-calibration process precisely adjusts the AVR1710's volume levels, speaker distance/delay time settings, and equalization to optimize audio performance automatically for your specific speaker system and room conditions. The system features an easy-to-follow menu display and includes a plug-in calibration microphone. You can also choose to manually setup your connected speaker system.
Harman NSP: Harman's proprietary technology, NSP uses sophisticated digital processing to deliver a true natural sounding three-dimensional listening experience from conventional 2-channel stereo sources like CDs and stereo broadcasts. While preserving the recording's original timbre and spatial balance, Harman NSP creates a simulated listening space that automatically adjusts to suit the type of program you are listening to. The following adjustments are available for Harman NSP:
- Stage Width: This adjustment allows you to widen or narrow the width of the apparent listening space in front of you. For example, a higher setting would be appropriate for a recording of an orchestra playing in a concert hall, while a lower setting would be more appropriate for a recording of a singer playing an acoustic guitar.
- Stage Depth: This adjustment lets you control the total size of the apparent listening space. A higher setting would approximate the acoustic qualities of larger listening spaces, such as concert halls and arenas, while a lower setting would approximate the acoustic qualities of smaller listening spaces like small clubs or coffee houses.
Stereo & Headphone Modes: The H/K AV receiver offers a variety of listening modes so you can enjoy your movies and music regardless if you are using only have a two-channel speaker system, 5.1ch speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- Stereo: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- Multichannel Stereo: Left and right stereo channels are distributed to all the speakers so that stereo sound can be heard from all directions at any listening position.
- Virtual Surround: When only two main speakers are present in the system, you can use "Virtual Surround" to create an enhanced soundfield that virtualizes the missing speakers.
- Harman Headphone: Virtual surround processing which simulates a 5.1-channel speaker system using standard headphones.
Dolby Pro Logic II/Z Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music mode: Panorama sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers). You can also adjust the volume (Low/Mid/High) of the Front Height channels in Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
Night Mode: Night mode compresses the audio so that louder passages are reduced in volume to avoid disturbing others, while dialogue remains intelligible. Night Mode can be set to Max, Mid, or Off.
Bass Management: The H/K AV receiver provides the following Bass Management settings for your front left/right speaker and subwoofer.
- L/R+LFE: This setting sends all low-frequency information to the subwoofer, including a) information that would normally be played through the front left and right speakers and b) the special low-frequency effects (LFE) channel information.
- LFE: This setting plays low-frequency information contained in the left and right program channels through the front left and right speakers, and directs only the LFE-channel information to the subwoofer.
- Off: Select this setting when no subwoofer is in use. All low-frequency information will be sent to the front left and right speakers.
Volume Settings: Two volume settings are used to program the volume level when you turn on the AVR1710. Set Volume Default to "On", and then set the Default Volume Setting to the desired turn-on volume. When Volume Default is set to "Off", the AVR will turn on at the last-used volume setting from the previous listening session
Note: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +10dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 90).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Harman Kardon AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Analog & Digital Inputs: The H/K receiver is fitted with three digital inputs; two optical (toslink) and one coaxial (RCA) digital input. Its also fitted with two sets of stereo analog audio (RCA) inputs.
- Color-Coded Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: The color-coded binding-post speaker terminals on all output channels accept banana plugs (single/dual), pin connectors, or bare wire (up to 10AWG) to provide secure links for your speaker cables. Compatible with 6-8 ohms speakers. The color-coded speaker terminals simply hook-up and reduce errors.
- Dual Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the AVR1710 features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs. The same signal is output from each sub output.
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 1.4: Six HDMI 1.4 inputs and dual HDMI 1.4 monitor outputs with 3D and 30/36-bit Deep Color deliver high definition digital video at resolutions up to 1080p with full-fidelity audio up to 7.1ch through a single cable. The HDMI monitor output 1 supports ARC (Audio Return Channel). The two HDMI outputs are parallel, so the same audio/video signal is output through both and can be used simultaneously.
- 3D-Ready: The Harman/Kardon AVR1710 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI 1.4 connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
- Deep Color: The AVR1710 also supports Deep Color, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
MHL-Compatible: The receiver's rear-panel HDMI 1 input is MHL-compatible. This MHL compatible HDMI port provides easy, direct connection of MHL compatible smartphones, like Android. Playback of up to 1080p video and multi-channel audio from the phone is supported. The receiver will also charge (5V/1A) your connected phone. Play, Stop, and other basic operations can be controlled from the AV receiver's remote control.
Composite Video Inputs/Output: The receiver features two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. These composite video jacks only support 480i video.
AV Sync Delay: This feature allows you to correct a synchronization problem in which a source device or the video display introduces a significant amount of video processing that causes the audio and video parts of the signal to be out of sync. The audio for all channels can be delayed up to 180 milliseconds.
Wired Network Connection: The Harman Kardon AVR1710 is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network to access your DLNA music server and Internet Radio.
DLNA Certified: The AVR1710 is DLNA-compatible and can access MP3 (8-320kbps; 8-48kHz)and WMA (16-192kbps; 8-48kHz) audio media that is stored on other DLNA-compatible devices that are connected to the same network as the AVR1710. DLNA is a file sharing protocol that creates a bridge between the AVR1710 and other devices on the same network that contain audio media. DLNA is supported by PCs that have Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, or Intel Media Server file sharing. Apple computers can also share files via DLNA using HARMAN Music Manager software, which you can download without charge from www.harmankardon.com. Third-party software that enables DLNA file-sharing also is available for Android.
vTuner Internet Radio: The AVR1710 features vTuner Internet radio to connect you to a whole world of online audio entertainment. You'll be able to stream over-the-air radio stations from around the globe as well as stream from a wide range of internet-only radio stations.
AM/FM Tuner: The H/K AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The AVR1710 lets you store up to 30 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). Once your presets are set, you can use the Preset Scan function to scan through all of your available presets. You can also tune to a radio station directly using the remote control's numeric keypad. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Harman Kardon website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. The tested A/V receiver contained firmware version V002.23 (as of 8/27/2014). Check Harman Kardon's support site for the most recent firmware updates.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy MP3 (8-320kbps; 8-48kHz) and WMA (16-192kbps; 8-48kHz) music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 player, or USB thumbdrive. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/0.5A).
Note: Not compatible with USB-hubs, card-readers, or HDDs.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Harman/Kardon AV receiver offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Wireless AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the H/K AVR1710, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the H/K receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- USB Direct: The front-panel USB port provides convenient connection for your iPod, iPhone, or iPad so you can listen to your stored music and music apps through the H/K AV receiver. By simply connecting your Apple device's Lightning- or Dock-cable to the receiver's front-panel USB input, the digital audio signal from your device is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC; not the DAC in your iPod/iPhone/iPad; the result is more precise sound reproduction. You can control basic playback functions of stored music and music apps; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random functions. You'll continue to use your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen for advanced music navigation. Song/artist information from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV (via HDMI) or the unit's front-panel display. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 0.5A).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Harman/Kardon AVR1710 is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 8/27/2014).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Compact Design: The AVR1710 features a new compact design with a flush volume control. Because of the lighter weight made possible by an advanced digital power supply, the unit weighs less without sacrificing performance so that it is the perfect match for the thin glass shelves of today's open TV/entertainment furniture.
OSD (On-Screen Display): The Harman/Kardon AVR1710's on-screen display (OSD) makes setting up the receiver easy. To view the on-screen display you must connect the HDMI monitor output of the receiver to your television. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Zone 2: Harman/Kardon's Zone 2 function lets you select a different audio source for listening in a second location of your home. The AVR1710 features a Main Zone (audio/video) and Zone 2 (audio only). The Main Zone offers 7.1-channel playback of your audio/video gear in your main entertainment room. Zone 2 allows stereo audio playback of another source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via left/right RCA audio or speaker level outputs. When using the AVR1710 to power speakers in a second room of your home, the main zone is restricted to 5.1-channels. When using the receiver's line output terminals for the second room you need an additional amplifier to power those speakers; the main Zone of the receiver remains 7.1-channel. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the H/K receiver using its speaker outputs or from your add-on integrated amplifier when using the line-output.
- Compatible sources include AM/FM Tuner, Analog Audio Inputs,
vTuner Internet Radio, USB (including iPod/iPhone), AirPlay, and DLNA.
- Although you can listen to iPod or USB as a source in Zone 2, you cannot begin iPod or USB playback from within Zone 2. You must initially select iPod or USB as a source in Zone 1 and begin playback of a track or playlist from there. Then you can select iPod as the Zone 2 source and control playback from within Zone 2 even if you switch Zone 1 to a different source.
- Only one of the AVR's internal sources (iPod, USB, vTuner, Network, AirPlay, DLNA) can be active at a time across both zones. For example, if you are listening to vTuner as the source in Zone 1 and switch the source in Zone 2 to USB, it will switch the source in Zone 1 to USB (and vice versa). To listen to different sources in Zone 1 and Zone 2 at the same time, at least one source must be one of the AVR's configurable external sources (Cable/Sat, Disc, STB or TV) that is connected to one of the AVR's analog audio inputs, or one of the AVR's terrestrial radio sources (FM or AM).
- Incompatible sources include HDMI, Coaxial, Optical, and Video
- However, the receiver's second HDMI monitor output does let you send the same HDMI audio/video input signal that is being played in the main zone to a second zone (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).
Input Name: You can program the source name for any of the inputs, up to 10 characters.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Off function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined time; from 10 to 90 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Power Off: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Off function). The Auto Power Off feature is selectable from 1-8 hours.
Harman GreenEdge Technology: The Harman GreenEdge logo assures you that the AVR1710's design is environmentally friendly without compromising the premium performance for which Harman products are known. Thanks to an advanced power supply, the AVR1710 can deliver high-quality audio in a small, light chassis that uses less metal and plastic. The small design means that less fuel is used in transportation with the end result being a lower carbon footprint.
Built-in Bluetooth w/ Harman TrueStream: The H/K AVR1710 features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.4. You'll be able to wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple device, Android smartphone/tablet, portable audio player, laptop, or PC to the H/K receiver. Harman TrueStream Technology ensures the best possible listening experience when you stream audio wirelessly via Bluetooth. You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV; continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the H/K receiver.
H/K Remote App: The free Harman Kardon Remote app is available from the iTunes App Store for Apple iOS (5.0+) devices and the Google Play Store for compatible Android (OS 2.2+) smartphone/tablets. It will let you use your compatible smartphone or tablet to control the AVR1710 without picking up its remote. The Harman Kardon Remote App controls virtually all the functions of AVR1710 that is connected to the same network as the device that has the app installed. With this easy-to-use app you can turn the AV receiver on/off, select input source, control the volume, and virtually any other function. You can also access and navigate all of the receiver's on-screen setup menus.
IR Remote w/ HDMI Link: The AVR1710 simplifies your life with a programmable infrared (IR) remote control. It works seamlessly with the receiver's multilingual on-screen display, guiding you through system setup and operation with ease. The remote can also be programmed to control your TV, cable/satellite boxes, Blu-ray/DVD players, and other playback sources. HDMI Link allows the communication of control information among connected HDMI components in your system.
12V Trigger + Remote In: For further installation flexibility, there is a 12-volt trigger output and a remote IR sensor input. The AVR1710 has a 3.5mm minijack output to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger. The receiver also has a 3.5mm minijack input for use with an external IR receiver.
Our Product Research Team
1 question already asked
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: You can run up to 7 speakers on this Receiver. It is a home theater receiver to it will be much easier to operate if it is also hooked to a TV. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Nov 22, 2014 ] Staff