Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
This flexible, powerful remote from Universal can replace all your existing remotes, making your home theater system easier and more fun to operate. The R50 controls up to 18 different components, and it sports a 2" color LCD screen with customizable labels. Enter your frequently watched TV channels on the "favorites" menu, and then find them quickly using channel logos that appear on the screen. The R50 can "learn" any specific infrared commands from your other remotes, and its "macro" capability lets you set up one-touch commands for activities like watching TV or playing a Blu-ray movie. The remote guides you through setup with on-screen notes no need to hook it up to your PC.
Read our blog post about trying out the Universal R50 remote at home.
- controls up to 18 devices from thousands of brands
- 2" color LCD screen
- programmable buttons with on-screen icons
- favorite channel list with programmable on-screen logos surf your frequently watched channels easily
- learns functions from your other IR (infrared) remotes
- easy, guided setup via the remote's LCD screen no computer needed
- contoured backlit buttons
- flexible macro command programming
- includes 4 "AA" batteries
- 2-5/16"W x 1-1/4"H x 9"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Universal R50 Reviews
What's in the box?
- Universal remote control
- 4 "AA" batteries
- Quick Start Guide
Overview: The Digital R50 Universal Remote controls up to 18 components; including TVs, DVD & CD players, Cable boxes, Satellite receivers, TV/VCR & DVD combos, Audio components, Multimedia PCs, VCRs, Tape decks, Lighting controls, TiVO, and other DVRs. The Digital R50 offers an intuitive design and button layout for easy operation. The Digital R50Universal Remote is designed to be set-up by anyone (no professional installer or computer is needed).
LCD Display: It features a 2" TFT Color LCD screen (176 x 220 pixels) with clear icons, text, and graphics.
Setup Wizard: The Digital R50 Universal Remote offers a Setup Wizard right on its LCD screen for quick-and-easy configuration. The self-explanatory Setup Wizard provides tips and step-by-step instructions. You can simply answer a few on-screen questions with no Internet or PC required.
Advanced Setup: The Digital R50 Universal Remote also enables you to customize it in a number of ways. You can copy and past groups of commands like Volume and Mute, setup macros, customize labels, and add/hide pages or buttons.
Display Tips: Setup Tips are the programming manual for the Digital R50 Universal Remote. The Display Tips appear on the remote's screen as you setup an option.
Built-in Codes: The Digital R50 Universal Remote features a thousands built-in control codes to ensure full control of your components.
Learning Capable: The Digital R50 Universal Remote is Learning Capable, too, so it is able to learn functions and commands from other remotes; meaning it will never become obsolete.
My Favorite Channels: Favorite channels are macros that enable you to tune to a channel with one touch. The Digital R50 Universal Remote offers 48 My Favorite Channels, so you can quickly access your favorite TV programming.
MacroPower: The Digital R50 Universal Remote features MacroPower buttons for single-button operation to turn On/Off all components, switch sources, and change inputs.
SimpleSound: SimpleSound is a dynamic feature for total volume control over all components in your system, even those without built-in volume control, such as TiVo, DVD, and VCR.
Sofa Mode: The R50 protects itself if it get stuck between couch cushions (with a button being continuously pressed). After 30 seconds, the R0 will turn off, and will not turn on again until the button is released.
Battery Operated: The Digital R50 Remote operates off of 4 "AA" Alkaline batteries (included). The included batteries provide approximately 18 hours of continuous operation with backlighting and LCD On (months of use for most users).
- Microprocessor: ARM 7
- LCD Screen: 2" TFT Color LCD (176 x 220 pixels)
- Memory: 32 Megabits of flash memory
- Total Customization Capability: up to 18 devices on 3 main pages with up to 8 pages for each device; plus up to eight pages of favorite channels for a total of 155 pages
- Learning Capability: Standard frequencies (15kHz to 450kHz)
- Macro Capability: up to 255 steps each
- IRE Range: 30-50 feet, depending on the environment
- Battery Type: 4 "AA" Alkaline batteries (included)
- Battery Life: 18 hours of continuous button-pressing with backlighting and LCD On (months of use for most users). Users should expect some variation based on the brand of alkaline batteries used.
- Dimensions: Width = 2.305", Height= 1.25", Length = 8.955"
- Weight: 6.9 ounces (with batteries)