Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Onkyo's BD-SP809 is a smart choice if you're building a high-end home theater system. It not only gives you the great networking capabilities found in most new players, it also adds advanced internal circuitry to ensure superb picture and sound quality with just about any source. In fact, this player earned the prestigious THX-certification as a guarantee of its outstanding performance. You'll enjoy the best picture and sound quality with every source, from the latest 3D and standard Blu-ray discs to classic DVDs and CDs, too. This player also features unusually solid construction a nice change from lightweight entry-level players.
Stunning video quality brings the movie theater into your home
The BD-SP809 delivers beautiful, noise-free image quality thanks to built-in Qdeo video processing. Just connect this player to your HDTV or receiver via an HDMI cable to enjoy a flawless 1080p picture with any source, from standard DVDs to Blu-ray discs. It'll even deliver eye-popping scenes from the latest 3D Hollywood blockbusters when you pair it with your 3D HDTV and use your 3D glasses. Plus, dual HDMI outputs means you can connect this player to two separate displays. So if you have a larger entertainment room, you can use this player with both your main TV for daily viewing and your projector for movies and sports.
Get instant entertainment and lots of it with Internet movie streaming
Connect this player to your home network via an Ethernet cable, and you can explore a cornucopia of great audio and video content whenever the mood strikes you. Rent the latest movies and TV shows from Vudu, or stream an unlimited amount of content from Netflix's ever-expanding selection of instantly available movie and TV titles.
Compelling sound with both movies and music
The 'SP809 can also decode the high-resolution Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks found on many Blu-ray discs. You'll get the full impact of 5- or even 7-channel surround sound with your home theater system. Even your compressed MP3s will sound better thanks to the built-in high-quality digital-to-analog converter, which helps reveal all the details in your music. And Onkyo built the BD-SP809 with separate audio and video sections, and added a vibration-reducing top cover, to ensure you always experience your movies and music without any outside interference.
- plays standard and 3D Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs
- THX®-certification guarantees superb picture and sound quality
- Internet-ready plays TV shows and movies from Netflix® (membership required) and Vudu
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible discs — requires at least 1GB of memory for downloadable content
- isolated video and audio circuitry, plus a vibration-reducing top cover to minimize distortion
- illuminated remote control
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p via HDMI version 1.4a output (component output supports up to 1080i)
- selectable video upconversion up to 1080p with Marvell Qdeo processor for all non-HD sources
- 148.5MHz/12bit video digital-to-analog converter
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and dual HDMI (for display switching)
- analog component video output resolution may be limited when viewing copy-protected discs
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, and DTS-HD Master Audio Essential
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- audio outputs include stereo, optical digital, and coaxial digital
- IR input and output for remote repeater systems
- Ethernet port for wired Internet connection
- rear USB port plays MP3 and WMA audio files
- 17-1/8"W x 4-1/16"H x 13-7/8"D
- weight: 10.4 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- viewing high-definition 3D Blu-ray content requires a 3D-compatible HDTV and 3D glasses
Blu-ray Disc players the ultimate picture and sound
Blu-ray players deliver a better picture to your HDTV than any other available source. In fact, Blu-ray's 1080p picture is a perfect match for the 1080p screens found on most current TVs. Blu-ray movies also offer the most precise and realistic surround sound you can get. These players do a terrific job with standard DVDs, too you'll see a cleaner, clearer picture with every disc in your collection. Many Blu-ray players can connect to the Internet for watching online movies from Netflix® and other video services.
Onkyo BD-SP809 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
I wasn't going to say this but you kept pestering me for a review
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I essentially payed Crutchfield full market price for a damaged discontinued item. The unit was discretely listed as "minor cosmetic damage" or "scratch & dent" or some such but is should have been boldly highlighted as "gouged & crushed" in Huge block letters. The front face has a dig in it so deep that I named it "San Andreas" and the rear corner of the unit was literally caved in. Brand new undamaged units, albeit also discontinued stock, were available on the internet for less, and when I mentioned this to Crutchfield they told me the unit is out of stock and consoled me with the promise of their long term "customer service." Having said that, the unit seems to work perfectly and is functionally a major step up from the old but semi-pro DVD player it replaced. Video and Audio are noticeably improved, and we'll see if the cosmetic and structural damage, although significant, impact the long term serviceability of the unit. The unit is very slow to load but has never skipped once loaded. It's being used with both a LCD and a large screen Hi def projector and, used with Blue Ray or even "standard" discs, has resulted in a clear and noticeable step up in clarity and density. I'm also using it to replace an older but decent quality CD player, with good results. Given that it works, I'd be Ok with trading Minor cosmetic damage for some savings. But the damage was far from minor and there were no apparent savings. Buyer Beware, indeed!
Pros: This review will never be seen as the unit is no longer offered for sale.
Cons: This review will never be seen as the unit is no longer offered for sale.
Good Quality Video
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The Onkyo BD-SP809 is solid and simple. The picture quality is excellent. The Networking options are limited and the user interface is rather ugly. During set up, a power down scrambled all of my setup choices for unclear reasons. Easily fixed after some initial confusion. It will not play recorded Blu Ray discs of DVD Audio.
Pros: Excellent quality picture. Solidly built and large enough to stack.
Cons: Ugly user interface. Takes a long time to process a new disc. Won't play DVD Audio.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Just upgraded to a new system, the BD-SP809 is an excellent Blu-ray player. Well worth the $'s.
Pros: Easy to use, and set up. Image quality is great.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Bought the 309 model first but it would lock up and was noisy. Contacted Crutchfield and the return couldn't have been easier. Great customer service I had the new model before they received the return. There only worry was that I be taken care of fast. As for the player itself I have no complaints. Setup was easy. The dual hdmi outs allow easy hookup of the video straight to my TV and audio to my Onkyo receiver. The player looks good with my Onkyo 609 receiver and works great with it. The only issue is that it seem slow on startup but nothing that I can't deal with. This was my first online purchase with Crutchfield and they are a great company to deal with. Great job guys
Pros: Easy setup, dual hdmi outs and it has a solid build
Cons: Its a little slow loading
What's in the box?
- Blu-ray disc player
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-818DV)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 39" Stereo audio cable (with stereo RCA connectors on each end)
- 39" Composite video cable (with a composite video connector on each end)
- Owner's Manual (Eng) Owner's Manual (Fre/Spa)
- Product Registration/Warranty Card
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD||No|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Blockbuster,Netflix ,Vudu|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||1|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Compatibility: The Onkyo BD-SP809 is compatible with multiple disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R/DL (BDMV format), BD-RE/DL (ver.2.1)|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD+R/DL DVD-RW, DVD-R/D, DVD-RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BD-SP809 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. The Onkyo BD-SP809 automaticallys check for firmware updates through the player's Internet connection every time the player is turned on. Visit http://www.onkyousa.com/download/software.cfm for the latest firmware updates.
Note: The tested Onkyo BD-SP809 contained Firmware Version: 1.26.51 (as of August 2011).
Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-Java): The BD-ROM format supports Java for interactive functions. BD-Java offers content providers almost unlimited functionality when creating interactive BD-ROM titles.
AVCHD Compatible: AVCHD is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition video on DVD using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital camcorder to be recorded on DVD.
DivX Certified: The BD-SP809 is DivX Certified to play DivX and DivX Plus HD (H.264/MKV) video up to 1080p HD, including premium content, on DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs.
MP3/WMA Playback: The Onkyo Blu-ray player supports playback of MP3 (112-320 kbps)/WMA (48-192 kbps) music files recorded onto DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. The player can recognize up to 999 folders/9,999 files per Blu-ray or DVD disc; and 255 folders/999 files per CD.
JPEG Slide Show: The Onkyo BD-SP809 supports playback of JPEG still-image files recorded onto DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. The JPEG files must have a picture resolution between 32 x 32 and 5,120 x 3,840 pixels (File size: 12MB or less). The player can recognize up to 999 folders/9,999 files per Blu-ray or DVD disc; and 255 folders/999 files per CD.
297MHz/12-Bit NSV DAC: The BD-SP809 incorporates a high-quality 297 MHz/12-bit video DAC (ADV7340) featuring NSV (Noise Shaped Video) technology to reduce aliasing and noise in high-definition video signals. This high-speed DAC excels at reproducing details in high-resolution images, ensuring a video output that is as faithful as possible to the input source.
Marvel Qdeo Video Chip for 1080p Upscaling: Onboard Qdeo technology from Marvell ensures pristine deinterlacing, noise-reduction, and 1080p upscaling. The Onkyo BD-SP809 utilizes a Marvel Qdeo Video Chip for 1080p Upscaling and video processing. The Marvel Qdeo Video Chip produces quiet and natural video, free from noise and artifacts. Analog video signals (composite/component) are converted to HDMI and can be scaled to the resolution set in the menu: Through (no scaling), Auto (automatically scaled to the highest resolution supported by the display), 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
Video Outputs: The Onkyo BD-SP809 features three high-definition video outputs (2 HDMI/1 component) and one standard-definition video output (composite).
- Dual HDMI (ver.1.4): The BD-SP809's dual HDMI outputs simplify A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The twin HDMI outputs allow you to switch between two display, such as your main TV for daily viewing & a projector for movies. The HDMI output is version 1.4, which supports 3D, Deep Color, & x.v.Color video content. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television.
- Component Video: The component video output supports up to 1080i resolution for AVCD, DivX, and VOD video. When playing back a Blu-ray disc, the video output is limited to 480i. When playing back a DVD movie, the video output is limited to 480p.
- Composite Video: The composite output is always live and fixed at 480i; it can output video when playing a Blu-ray Disc.
1080p/24Hz Output: Through the HDMI output, BD-SP809 has a 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixel) output option, at either the 60 Hz video or 24 Hz film frame rates. Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BD-SP809 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080/24p format) with no need for conversion.
3D-Ready: The Onkyo BD-SP809 lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p.
Note: 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D emitter & glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
Deep Color: The HDMI output supports Deep Color, increasing the number of bits available for transmission, meaning more colors. This results in greater color fidelity, smooth tonal transitions, and ultra-fine gradations between colors. It also enables many times more shades of gray, for higher contrast ratio.
x.v.Color: The BD-SP809 supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future (JPEG only).
Source Direct: In Source Direct mode, the Onkyo BDSP-809 Blu-ray player outputs the unprocessed video signal via HDMI, preserving the original resolution of the video content. This enables you to have the video processing performed downstream, for example by a high-end A/V receiver incorporating the more advanced video-processing technology.
TV Aspect: The BD-SP809 lets you adjust for your television's aspect ratio.
- 16:9 Wide: Wide screen signal displayed over the entire screen.
- 16:9 Squeeze: 4:3 signal displayed in the center of the 16:9 screen.
- 4:3 Pan & Scan: 16:9 signal played on 4:3 screen with sides cropped.
- 4:3 Letterbox: 16:9 signal played on 4:3 screen with black bars on the top and bottom.
Picture Adjustments: The Onkyo BD-SP809 offers the following picture adjustments.
- Contrast: Adjusts the difference between the bright and dark parts of the picture.
- Brightness: Adjusts the brightness of the picture.
- Sharpness: Adjust the sharpness of the picture.
- Gamma Correction: Adjusts the dark positions of the picture.
- ICR Red/Blue/Green: Adjusts the red, blue, and green color of the picture.
- Color: Adjusts the color density of the picture.
- Hue: Adjusts the balance between green and red.
- Black Level: Adjusts the black level.
- Noise Reductions: Reduces the noise in the luminance signal and chroma signal
- MPEG NR: Reduces block noise and mosquito noise.
- Edge Enhancer: Emphasizes the edge of the picture.
- Qdeo True Color: Adjust the smoothness of the picture.
- Progressive Mode: Selects the setting of the progressive scan (Auto/Video).
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view additional content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
High-Quality Audio Circuitry: The Blu-ray player's audio benefits from a high-precision clock, separate blocks for audio & video circuitry, and a vibration-reducing top cover.
THX: The Onkyo BD-SP809 is THX certified. THX was founded by George Lucas and utilizes stringent standards to ensure movies are reproduced in movie theaters & home theaters just as the director intended.
Surround Sound Decoders: The BD-SP809 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors. High Definition audio soundtracks (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD) are output either as a bitstream or as a decoded multichannel PCM signal through the HDMI or digital output jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
|Audio Format||Description||Maximum Number of Channels||HDMI||Digital Output (optical/coaxial)|
|Dolby TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.||7.1ch (48kHz/96khz)||7.1ch||7.1ch||2ch||5.1ch|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the optical or coaxial digital output.||7.1ch (48kHz)||7.1ch||7.1ch||2ch||5.1ch|
|DTS-HD Master Audio||DTS-HD Mater Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and used lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Mater Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.||7.1ch (48kHz/96kHz)||7.1ch||7.1ch||2ch||5.1ch|
|5.1ch (192 kHz)||5.1ch||5.1ch||2ch||5.1ch|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio||DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.||7.1ch (48kHz/96kHz)||7.1ch||7.1ch||2ch||5.1ch|
Linear PCM is a signal recording format used for Audio CDs and on some DVD and Blu-ray discs. The sound on Audio CDs is recorded at 44.1 kHz with 16 bits. (Sound is recorded between 48 kHz with 16 bits and 96 kHz with 24 bits on DVD video discs and between 48 kHz with 16 bits and 192 kHz with 24 bits on BD video discs.)
Dynamic Range Control: This lets you adjust the range between the loudest and softest sounds (dynamic range) for playback at average volume. Use this when it is hard to hear dialogue.
- Normal: The same audio output range is played as the original recorded audio output range.
- Shift: When Dolby Digital audio is played back, the dynamic range of the audio is adjusted so that the dialogue portion can be heard easily. (If the audio sounds abnormal, set to "Normal".)
- Auto: When you play back audio in the Dolby TrueHD format, the dynamic range is automatically adjusted.
Down Sampling: 192 kHz and 96 kHz digital signals can be converted to 48 kHz for components not compatible with higher sampling rates.
Audio Outputs: The Onkyo BD-SP809 features both analog (RCA) and digital (optical/coaxial) audio outputs.
- Digital Audio Output: The BD-SP809 is equipped with one optical digital output and one coaxial digital output. The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the digital output. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio.
- Analog Audio Output: There is one pair of stereo analog RCA outputs.
USB Port: The Onkyo BD-SP809 Blu-ray player supports the playback of JPEG still-image files (32x32 to 5120x3840), MP3 (112-320 kbps) music files, and WMA (48-192 kbps) music files stored on a USB mass storage class device through its rear-panel USB port. The player's USB interface can recognize up to 999 folders/9,999 files. The USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 file system.
Ethernet Port: The Onkyo BD-SP809 is equipped with a rear-panel RJ-45 Ethernet terminal (10BASE-T/100BaSE-TX) to connect the player to your home network and broadband Internet. By connecting this player to your home network and broadband Internet service you can enjoy a variety of content on your TV using BD-LIVE functions, video-on-demand services, PC streaming, and also perform firmware updates.
Note: This Player is not compatible with a Wireless LAN connection.
Video On-Demand (VOD): With this Blu-ray player, you can enjoy a variety of video-on-demand streaming content by connecting the unit to the Internet via its Ethernet port. The BD-SP809 supports the following VOD services.
|Video On-Demand (VOD) Services||Description|
|Blockbuster On-Demand||Blockbuster On-Demand gives you the convenience of renting movies online and the ability to exchange them in-store. When you're finished watching a DVD, you can return it by mail or exchange it for a movie rentals or discounted game rentals at participating Blockbuster stores. Blockbuster's online DVD library has more than 95,000 titles, and it's growing every week. Subscription plans starting at $11.99.|
|Film Fresh (by RoxioNow)||Film Fresh (by RoxioNow) offers thousands of online movies & TV episodes for you to download and instantly watch. No subscription necessary. You can rent movies for $2.99 or purchase movies for $9.95.|
|Netflix (5.1ch)||With more than 20 million members in the United States and Canada, Netflix is the world's leading Internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV shows. For $7.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed over the Internet. This unit supports Netflix 5.1ch audio/video streaming. Netflix is available in the United States and Canada.|
|Vudu HD Movies||VUDU has the most HD titles on demand and more are added every week. VUDU delivers a cinema-like experience at home with HDX, featuring stunning 1080p True Digital and rich Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound. VUDU is available without a monthly subscription or contract. There are no late fees, plus thousands of movies are available to rent for just $2 for two nights. VUDU is only available in the United States.|
|Vudu Apps||VUDU Apps provides you with access to a wide range of Internet services and applications including streaming video, music on demand, photo browsing, social networking, and more. VUDU Apps uses a unique, cloud-based architecture optimized for consumer electronics devices, including delivering the latest applications without the need for software downloads or frequent firmware updates. Vudu Apps include Vudu movies, Pandora internet radio, Facebook, Twitter, Flickeer, Picasa, Weather, Stock Tracker, The New York Times, Associated Press, CNN Daily, Wikipedia, and much more.|
Note: It is recommended to use a broadband line connection with an effective speed of 1-2 Mbps (for 480p), 2.25-4.5 Mbps (for 720p), and 4.5-9 Mbps (for 1080p).
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The BD-SP809 is DLNA certified (version 1.5) as a Digital Media Player and can retrieve audio, video, and photo files stored on computers and servers within the same network. The BD-SP809 lets you stream MPEG video files (1/2), JPEG still-image files (32x32 to 5120x3840), and MP3 (112-320 kbps)/WMA (48-192 kbps)/LPCM music files stored on your DLNA compatible PC or digital media server.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply).
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's l USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Start Up/Play Back Time: The Onkyo Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 18.6 seconds. It takes approximately 49.2 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
Quick Start: This feature shortens the startup time (only 6.3 seconds) & playback time (31.9 seconds) from standby mode. When the Quick Start Mode is turned on the standby power consumption is higher.
Parental Control: The Onkyo BD-SP809 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD and DVD video according to the age of the users. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password.
- Parental control level for DVD-video:
- 8 and Off: All DVD-video can be played.
- 1-7: Prohibits play of DVD-video with corresponding ratings recorded on them.
- Parental control level for BD-video:
- No Limit: All BD-video can be played.
- 0-99 year(s): Prohibits play of BD-video with corresponding ratings recorded on them.
Auto Power Off: This functions sets the Blu-ray player so that power is automatically shut off if playback is stopped and you do not perform any operations for approximately 10 minutes.
Remote Control: An IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Blu-ray player. The remote can also be used to control basic functions of an Onkyo AV receiver.
HDMI Control: HDMI CEC allows components compatible with the HDMI Control function to be controlled via the HDMI connection. When this player is turned on, your HDMI-connected TV is also turned on and the appropriate external input channel will be selected automatically. The appropriate external input channel can also be selected on your TV automatically when you press when the player's "Play" button and the power is on.
IR Input/Output: The 3.5mm IR input jack allows you to control the receiver without line-of-sight access using an optional IR remote control system and locating the remote sensor in sight. The 3.5mm IR output jack allows you to send the control signals to an additional component.
RS-232C Port: The RS-232 port can connect to external control systems from companies such as AMX or Crestron.