SmartStart module for iPhone® and other smartphones
Item #: 607DSM200
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $169.99
We offer vehicle-specific interfaces that you'll need to complete your remote start installation. Please identify your vehicle as we review every order to make sure you've got everything you need. You'll need a smartphone and a remote start system in your car in order to use this Python module.
Connect with your car's remote start system by phone and the SmartStart App
Now you can use your iPhone, Android or BlackBerry® to start your car, lock or unlock the doors, open the trunk, or activate the panic mode. Python's DSM200 SmartStart module communicates with your Python or Viper security system through the 3G cellular network and Wi-Fi. When you've got service, your smartphone will do things your keychain remote could never do. The module will alert you with a text message that your alarm has been tripped, even if you're hundreds of miles away.
It's no fun carrying your keys when you're exercising. Go jogging with your iPhone, and SmartStart allows you to leave your keys and other valuables locked in your car. Your daughter calls to say she's locked herself out of the car — no problem, you can open it up from home. Start your car from the supermarket checkout line so it's cooled off when you get the groceries out there. The possibilities are endless.
Once you've installed the module into your compatible Python or Viper security or remote start system, just download the free app from the iTunes® App Store, BlackBerry App World, or the Android Market site.
You can install a SmartStart module in all your vehicles, and touch your screen to choose which vehicle to access. Using the SmartStart module requires a service plan. And no more worries when you're on the road. SmartStart service plans include free 24/7/365 roadside assistance at no additional charge. Warranty: 1 year.
Python DSM200 Reviews
What's in the box?
- Directed SmartStart module with attached 5" harness (terminates into 2-pin and 4-pin plugs)
- 3' Power/ground harness with in-line 3A ATO fuse and 2-pin plug
- 6" 3-way harness with one 4-pin plug on one end and 3 plugs on the other end (brown 4-pin ESP plug / black 3-pin ESP plug / and a white 4-pin D2D plug)
- 3' Extension cable (4-pin plugs on both ends)
- Quick Reference/User's Guide
- Quick Reference/Install Guide
- Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Lines of Defense|
|Scan-resistant Remote Codes||N/A|
|Glass Break Sensor||N/A|
|Number of Remote Buttons||5|
|Number of Remote Functions||5|
|Factory Security Integration||---|
|Number of Cars||Multi|
|Remote Door Locks||Yes|
|Manual Transmission Compatible||---|
|Number of Zones||0|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The DSM200 SmartStart module, made by Directed Electronics, allows you to operate specific functions of your Directed SmartStart-ready car security or remote start system from your Apple iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. SmartStart technology is also compatible with some Blackberry and Android smartphones. The free SmartStart application can be downloaded to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or compatible smartphone from the Apple iTunes App Store, Blackberry App World, or Android Market site, depending upon which brand you own. A service plan is required, but not included.
Note: The iPod touch and iPad communicate with the vehicle via Wi-Fi. The vehicle's SmartStart module and the iPod touch/iPad must be on the same LAN.
Compatibility: The SmartStart module is compatible with the following models of Directed Electronics Security and/or Remote Start Systems:
- Python: models 1401, 1601, 4104P, 580, 5204P, 592, 5704P, 5904P, 872, and 991
- Clifford: models 1.2, 1.3x, 20.7x, 2.2, 3.3x, 50.7x, and 590.2x
- By transmitter type: 1-way SuperCode (Remote Start or Security System/Remote Start), Responder LE (RS or Sec/RS), Responder LC3 (RS or Sec/RS), Responder HD
Multiple Vehicles: If you have SmartStart module installed in more than one vehicle, you can choose which vehicle to control right from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or compatible Blackberry or Android smartphone. The Cars Screen lets you select which vehicle to control.
Functionality: With SmartStart, you can use your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to pre-warm your car's cabin in the winter, pre-cool it in the summer, lock/unlock the doors, arm/disarm your alarm, or find your car in the parking lot. Your vehicle responds exactly the same way as it does when using the alarm system's remote control, with audible and visual confirmations. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can perform the following commands, which appear as icons on the touchscreen:
- Lock: Locks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message. (Can also arm your vehicle's car alarm.)
- Unlock: Unlocks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message. (Can also disarm your vehicle's car alarm)
- SmartStart: Remote starts your vehicle and sends a confirmation message. The vehicle stays running for the programmed run time (default is 12 minutes). You can tap the icon again to turn off the vehicle.
- Trunk: Tapping the icon once opens a dialog box, asking you to confirm the command (Yes/No). If you tap "Yes" the trunk opens the trunk and a confirmation message is sent.
- Panic: Activates the panic mode for 30 seconds. You can tap the icon again to turn off. (This feature is used to attract attention if you're in a threatening position. It can also be used as a car finder.)
Menu Bar/Screens: At the bottom of the SmartStart app screen, the menu bar provides buttons to open any of the four screens:
- Home: The Home screen is the default screen, and gives you access to all of the remote commands: Lock, Unlock, SmartStart, Trunk, and Panic.
- Alerts: The Alerts provides notifications from the system. The number of new and un-cleared alerts are indicated by a red circle. The notifications can be in the form of alarms, communication issues, or updates to your service plan.
- Cars: The Cars screen allows you to control multiple vehicles if you have a compatible security/remote start system installed in more than one vehicle.
- Settings: The Settings screen allows you to control your SmartStart login. It indicates your user name, and allows you to change password, or request a forgotten password.
Virtually Unlimited Range: SmartStart works over the 3G cellular network or over Wi-Fi, giving you virtually unlimited range anywhere in the United States. As long as your vehicle is in range of a GSM cellular signal and your phone has a 3G signal, SmartStart will work. When using Wi-Fi connection, both the vehicle and device must be connected to the same LAN.
SmartStart Service Plans: Once you have installed the DSM200 SmartStart Module, you will need to subscribe to a SmartStart Service Plan. As of November 2013, the SmartStart Secure 1-year plan is $69.49, and the 3-year plan is $168.99. Included at no charge with the SmartStart Service Plan is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Natalie, Unfortunately, I did not keep this device due to the price since it is just a module to an already existing Python models: 1401, 1601, 410P, 580, 5204P, 592, 5704P, 872, or 991 Security / Remote Start System. This module is also compatible with Clifford models: 1.2, 1.3x, 20.7x, 2.2, 3.3x, 50.7x, and 590.2x. Please be aware, you must have the security / auto-start system for this module to attach to. As for plans the options below are what is available. As of November 2013, the SmartStart Secure 1-year plan is $69.49, and the 3-year plan is $168.99. Included at no charge with the SmartStart Service Plan is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance. [ LEAH Dec 18, 2013 ]