Python DSM250 Smart Start GPS
SmartStart module with GPS tracking for iPhone® and other smartphones
Item #: 607DSM250
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $199.99
We offer vehicle-specific interfaces that you'll need to complete your remote start/car security installation. Please identify your vehicle as we review every order to make sure you've got everything you need. You'll need a smartphone and a remote start system in your car in order to use this Python module.
Connect with your car's remote start system by phone and the SmartStart App
Imagine how cool it would be to use your iPhone, Android, or BlackBerry® to start your car, lock or unlock the doors, open the trunk, or activate the panic mode. Pretty slick. But then add GPS tracking to that impressive set of features — that's what the Python DSM250 SmartStart GPS delivers.
Python's DSM250 SmartStart module communicates with your Python or Viper security system through the 3G cellular network and Wi-Fi. When you've got service, your smartphone will do things your keychain remote could never do. The module will alert you with a text message that your alarm has been tripped, even if you're hundreds of miles away.
The possibilities of GPS tracking
The DSM250's GPS tracking puts an array of powerful tools at your disposal. The SmartStart Basic Service Plan, starting at $5.75 per month, lets you check on your vehicle's current location and speed, provides updates on location to Facebook for your friends (when you want to), and protects your family and vehicle with speed alerts, movement alerts, and curfew features.
The SmartStart Premium Service Plan, at $7.40 per month, adds a "Smart Fence" feature that alerts you when your car leaves a designated zone, along with a "Hot Spot" warning that tells you when your vehicle enters any location you've classified as off limits.
Control your car from virtually anywhere
It's no fun carrying your keys when you're exercising. Go jogging with your iPhone, and SmartStart allows you to leave your keys and other valuables locked in your car. Your daughter calls to say she's locked herself out of the car — no problem, you can open it up from home. Start your car from the supermarket checkout line so it's cooled off when you get the groceries out there. The possibilities are endless.
Once you've installed the module into your compatible Python or Viper security or remote start system, just download the free app from the iTunes® App Store, BlackBerry App World, or the Android Market site.
You can install a SmartStart module in all your vehicles, and touch your screen to choose which vehicle to access. Using the SmartStart module requires a service plan. And no more worries when you're on the road — SmartStart service plans include free 24/7/365 roadside assistance at no additional charge. Warranty: 1 year.
Python DSM250 Smart Start GPS Reviews
Average Customer Review:
2012 Honda Civic LX
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Well worth it
Pros: Great customer service
What's in the box?
- SmartStart GPS module (DSM250)
- 3' Power/ground harness with in-line 3A ATO fuse and 2-pin plug
- 6" 3-way harness with one 4-pin plug on one end and 3 plugs on the other end (brown 4-pin ESP plug / black 3-pin ESP plug / and a white 4-pin D2D plug)
- 3' Extension cable (4-pin plugs on both ends)
- Quick Reference User's Guide
- Quick Reference Install Guide
- Limited One Year Consumer Warranty
Features and Specs
|Lines of Defense|
|Scan-resistant Remote Codes||---|
|Glass Break Sensor||---|
|Number of Remote Buttons||---|
|Number of Remote Functions||---|
|Factory Security Integration||---|
|Number of Cars||---|
|Remote Door Locks||---|
|Manual Transmission Compatible||---|
|Number of Zones||---|
Overview: The DSM250 SmartStart GPS module (made by Directed Electronics) lets you start, control, and track your vehicle from your compatible iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the free SmartStart App (version 2.2). SmartStart GPS allows you to operate specific functions of your Directed SmartStart-ready car security or remote start system from your Apple iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. The free SmartStart GPS App (version 2.2) can be downloaded to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch from the Apple iTunes App Store. The DSM250 SmartStart GPS module also provides you with your vehicle's current GPS location, speed, and customized alerts. A service plan is required, but not included.
Note: The iPod touch and iPad communicate with the vehicle via Wi-Fi. The vehicle's SmartStart GPS module and the iPod touch/iPad must be on the same LAN.
Compatibility: The SmartStart GPS module is compatible with the following models of Directed Electronics Security and/or Remote Start Systems:
- Python: models 1401, 1601, 4104P, 580, 5204P, 592, 5704P, 5904P, 872, and 991
- Clifford: models 1.2, 1.3x, 20.7x, 2.2, 3.3x, 50.7x, and 590.2x
- By transmitter type: 1-way SuperCode (Remote Start or Security System/Remote Start), Responder LE (RS or Sec/RS), Responder LC3 (RS or Sec/RS), Responder HD
Note: Even if the DSM250 is not plugged into a compatible system, it will still provide GPS functions, but without the SmartStart features. We recommend that you integrate it with one of the above compatible systems to enable the complete Directed SmartStart feature set.
Multiple Vehicles: If you have SmartStart GPS module installed in more than one vehicle, you can choose which vehicle to control right from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. The Cars Screen lets you select which vehicle to control.
Remote Start/Alarm Functions: With the SmartStart GPS, you can use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to pre-warm your car's cabin in the winter, pre-cool it in the summer, lock/unlock the doors, arm/disarm your alarm, or find your car in the parking lot. Your vehicle responds exactly the same way as it does when using the alarm system's remote control, with audible and visual confirmations. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can perform the following commands, which appear as icons on the touchscreen:
- Lock: Locks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message. (Can also arm your vehicle's car alarm.)
- Unlock: Unlocks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message. (Can also disarm your vehicle's car alarm)
- SmartStart: Remote starts your vehicle and sends a confirmation message. The vehicle stays running for the programmed run time (default is 12 minutes). You can tap the icon again to turn off the vehicle.
- Trunk: Tapping the icon once opens a dialog box, asking you to confirm the command (Yes/No). If you tap "Yes" the trunk opens the trunk and a confirmation message is sent.
- SmartAlert: You'll receive a text message to your compatible iPhone, iPod, or iPod touch if your alarm triggers.
- Panic: Activates the panic mode for 30 seconds. You can tap the icon again to turn off. (This feature is used to attract attention if you're in a threatening position. It can also be used as a car finder.)
GPS Functions: With SmartStart GPS, you can use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to receive your vehicle's GPS location, the vehicle's current speed, and receive customized GPS alerts. From your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch you can view the following GPS data, alerts, and notifications:
- Vehicle Locator: Press a button on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and receive your vehicle's current location, plus speed (if it's moving).
- SmartPark: You can text or e-mail your car's location just by pressing a button, or check-in to update your social network from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Speed Alert: Request a notification on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when your vehicle exceeds your specified speed limit setting.
- Lock Down: You can lock down your vehicle with a movement alert and receive notification on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if your vehicle is moved without your OK.
- Low Battery Alert: You will receive a notification on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if your car battery drops below a safe threshold.
Premium Services: Three additional value-added features of SmartStart GPS can be accessed with the Premium Secure Service Plan.
- SmartFence: SmartFence creates a secure zone around your vehicle, so you'll be alerted if your vehicle leaves the zone.
- HotSpot: HotSpot adds a virtual fence " Do Not Enter Zone" around a location so you'll be alerted if your vehicle goes there.
- Scheduling: Schedule time frames and curfews for notifications by your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Home Control: The SmartStart GPS module also allows you to arm or disarm your Alarm.com-powered home security system, or to check on arm/disarm status from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Menu Bar/Screens: At the bottom of the SmartStart GPS app screen, the menu bar provides buttons to open any of the four screens:
- Home: The Home screen is the default screen, and gives you access to all of the remote commands: Lock, Unlock, SmartStart, Trunk, and Panic.
- Alerts: The Alerts provides notifications from the system. The number of new and un-cleared alerts are indicated by a red circle. The notifications can be in the form of alarms, communication issues, or updates to your service plan.
- Cars: The Cars screen allows you to control multiple vehicles if you have a compatible security/remote start system installed in more than one vehicle. It also gives you a break down of your car's location history.
- Track: This screen allows you to access SmartStart GPS features.
- Settings: The Settings screen allows you to control your SmartStart GPS login. It indicates your user name, and allows you to change password, or request a forgotten password.
Virtually Unlimited Range: SmartStart GPS works over the 3G cellular network or over Wi-Fi, giving you virtually unlimited range anywhere in the United States. As long as your vehicle is in range of a GSM cellular signal and your phone has a 3G signal, SmartStart GPS will work. When using Wi-Fi connection, both the vehicle and device must be connected to the same LAN.
SmartStart GPS Service Plans: Once you have installed the DSM250 SmartStart GPS Module, you will need to subscribe to a SmartStart GPS Service Plan. The SmartStart GPS Secure 1-year plan is $69.99, and the 3-year plan is $179.99 (as of November 2013). Included at no charge with the SmartStart GPS Service Plan is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance.
Note: Premium services are available for $20.00 more that include SmartFence, HotSpot, and Scheduling features.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
6 questions already asked
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Feb 17, 2015 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The GPS module is included with the product but you will need to download the free SmartStart GPS App. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jan 29, 2015 ] Staff
With the wiring diagram from directed it wasn't bad took about an hour to install on my 09 4runner [ GEORGE Jul 10, 2014 ]
1 answer I'm looking to get a alarm system for our 95 acura legend I'm looking at this system python ps5000 wondered if I could control windows,sunroof, engine start and gps tracking with this system? I'm sure it has been answered I couldn't find clean out info on this will this work with two different iPhones? [ Jason Jul 02, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Greg Jul 03, 2014 ] Staff
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Feb 10, 2014 ] Staff
Once you have installed the DSM250 SmartStart GPS Module, you will need to subscribe to a SmartStart GPS Service Plan. The SmartStart GPS Secure 1-year plan is $69.99, and the 3-year plan is $179.99 (as of November 2013). [ Jeff Dec 12, 2013 ] Staff