Viper VSM250 SmartStart GPS Module
Connects your Apple or Android smartphone to your remote start system
Item #: 607VSM250
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $249.99
Connect with your car's remote start system by phone and the SmartStart App
Viper's SmartStart GPS Module lets you use your smartphone or similar device to locate, secure, and start your vehicle, and much much more. Once you're connected to the Cloud via the Viper SmartStart App you've downloaded to your device, you'll be able to lock and unlock your doors, pop the trunk, or start a car equipped with a compatible Viper remote start system. SmartStart GPS can even alert a nervous parent when the vehicle's not in the right area or traveling too fast. If your phone has service, you can communicate with your car and can control many of its functions remotely, even if you're hundreds of miles away.
The Viper SmartStart Secure service plan
You'll need to get a 1- or 3-year subscription to Viper's SmartStart GPS Secure or Premium Secure service plan in order to take advantage of the features SmartStart has to offer. The plan's most valuable and reassuring feature is membership in the Viper Motor Club, which entitles you to free roadside assistance, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year — a great feature if you need towing, a new battery, or a tire.
The SmartStart GPS app can show you your car's location and alert you if it leaves a designated location. The app can show you your vehicle's speed, and alert you if that speed gets too high. With one click, Social Media Check-in lets you share your parking location with your Facebook friends. When you upgrade to the GPS Premium Secure service plan, you can set up a SmartFence around your car that alerts you if the car leaves that area, and create a HotSpot that alerts you if the car enters a forbidden zone. SmartSchedule, another feature in the Premium service, sends you behavior-based reminders when it's time to start your car, taking into account your commute time and outside temperature.
More interactive features
For your peace of mind, the SmartStart app includes a Vehicle Status screen that shows you whether your car's locked, armed, running, or has a door open. If anything disturbs your car's security system, SmartStart will send an alert to your phone and a text message with the details of the occurrence. Every time you use your phone to lock your car, the SmartPark feature remembers where you parked. To return, you press "Find My Car" and SmartPark shows you a map to your car accompanied by any helpful notes or photos you stored there.
Like a lot of security systems, the Viper SmartStart also includes a panic button, so you can set off an alarm in case of an an emergency. Two auxiliary channels allow you to control additional actions like turning on the dome light or opening the windows. The Parking Meter keeps track of the time remaining on your meter, alerting you when it's time to go feed it more coins.
"Siri, start my car"
That's right. If you have an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 upgraded to iOS 6, you can talk your car into doing all kinds of things, as long as you have phone service. SmartStart works with all iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices as well as Android SDK 1.6 or newer devices. The Home Control feature even allows you to access and control your Alarm.com-powered home security system from your smartphone, so you'll know your home is safe and sound while you're away.
- displays your location, your vehicle's speed, and customized GPS alerts
- compatible with iOS (4.3 or later) and Android (SDK 1.6 or newer) devices
- not compatible with BlackBerry devices
- works with most Viper, Directed, and Python remote start systems
- requires a SmartStart GPS Secure service plan ($69.99 for 1 year, $179.99 for 3 years) or GPS Premium service plan ($89.99 for 1 year, $239.99 for 3 years)
- plan connectivity managed via the Directed Cloud Services (DCS) network linking your car, the SmartStart App, the Internet, and your smartphone
- interface managed with the Viper SmartStart app downloaded to your device (available free from the iTunes® App Store or the Android Market site)
- features include lock/arm, unlock/disarm, remote start, trunk release, panic button, and 2 auxiliary channels
- all service plans include free membership in the Viper Motor Club with 24/7/365 roadside assistance
- features SmartAlert , Vehicle Locator, Speed Alert, Lock Down, and Low Battery Alert
- SmartPark feature shows you where you parked
- Social Media Check-in shares your parking spot with friends
- Parking Meter keeps track of how much time is left on the meter
- Home Control connects to your Alarm.com home security system
- GPS Premium Secure plan adds SmartFence and HotSpot location alerts and SmartSchedule car-starting reminders
- module dimensions: 3-13/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 11/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Viper VSM250 SmartStart GPS Module Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Viper VSM250 SmartStart GPS Module
2012 Volkswagen Passat
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great product. Works great.
Pros: Very helpful. Assistance when needed.
Viper GPS Disappoint
No way to prevent daughter from changing Geofence, Speed or Hot spot settings.
Cons:Crutchfield response on March 26, 2014 This SmartStart GPS module is an amazing product. The downside is that whoever has access to the app, has access to ALL of the features. As of right now, Viper's app doesn't offer a second tier of control that would allow one user to lock out certain features from other users. So in this case, either the secondary user has access to remote start and all of the other features.or none of them. To get full control of monitoring the vehicle while still giving the daughter the great features of the SmartStart, the parent would need to add a separate security product.
What's in the box?
- SmartStart GPS module (DSM250)
- 3' Power/ground harness with in-line 3A ATO fuse and 2-pin plug
- 6" 3-way harness with one 4-pin plug on one end and 3 plugs on the other end (brown 4-pin ESP plug / black 3-pin ESP plug / and a white 4-pin D2D plug)
- 3' Extension cable (4-pin plugs on both ends)
- Quick Reference User's Guide
- Quick Reference Install Guide
- Limited One Year Consumer Warranty
Features and Specs
|Lines of Defense|
|Scan-resistant Remote Codes||---|
|Glass Break Sensor||---|
|Number of Remote Buttons||---|
|Number of Remote Functions||---|
|Factory Security Integration||---|
|Number of Cars||---|
|Remote Door Locks||---|
|Manual Transmission Compatible||---|
|Number of Zones||---|
Overview: The Viper VSM250 SmartStart GPS module lets you start, control, and track your vehicle from your compatible smart device with the free SmartStart App (Current version 3.1.1 as of June 2013). SmartStart GPS allows you to operate specific functions of your SmartStart-ready car security or remote start system from your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) with iOS 4.3 or later, and Android devices with SDK 1.6 or newer. (SmartStart GPS is not available for Blackberry devices at this time.) The VSM250 SmartStart GPS module also provides you with your vehicle's current GPS location, speed, and customized alerts. The free SmartStart App can be downloaded from the iTunes App Store or Google Play, depending upon which device you own. A service plan is required, but not included.
Note: The iPod touch and some iPads communicate with the vehicle via Wi-Fi. The vehicle's SmartStart GPS module and the iPod touch/iPad must be on the same LAN.
Multiple Vehicles: If you have SmartStart GPS module installed in more than one vehicle, you can choose which vehicle to control right from your compatible smart device. The Cars Screen lets you select which vehicle to control.
Remote Start/Alarm Functions: With the SmartStart GPS, you can use your compatible smart device to pre-warm your car's cabin in the winter, pre-cool it in the summer, lock/unlock the doors, arm/disarm your alarm, or find your car in the parking lot. Your vehicle responds exactly the same way as it does when using the alarm system's remote control, with audible and visual confirmations. On your device, you can perform the following commands, which appear as icons on the touchscreen:
- Lock: Locks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message. (Can also arm your vehicle's car alarm.)
- Unlock: Unlocks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message. (Can also disarm your vehicle's car alarm)
- SmartStart: Remote starts your vehicle and sends a confirmation message. The vehicle stays running for the programmed run time (default is 12 minutes). You can tap the icon again to turn off the vehicle.
- Trunk: Tapping the icon once opens a dialog box, asking you to confirm the command (Yes/No). If you tap "Yes" the trunk opens the trunk and a confirmation message is sent.
- SmartAlert: You'll receive a text message to your compatible smart device if your alarm triggers.
- Panic: Activates the panic mode for 30 seconds. You can tap the icon again to turn off. (This feature is used to attract attention if you're in a threatening position. It can also be used as a car finder.)
GPS Functions: With SmartStart GPS, you can use your compatible smart device to display your vehicle's GPS location, the vehicle's current speed, and receive customized GPS alerts. From your device, you can view the following GPS data, alerts, and notifications:
- Vehicle Locator: Press a button on the screen and receive your vehicle's current location, plus speed (if it's moving).
- SmartPark: You can text or e-mail your car's location just by pressing a button, or check-in to update your social network.
- Speed Alert: Request a notification when your vehicle exceeds your specified speed limit setting.
- Lock Down: You can lock down your vehicle with a movement alert and receive notification if your vehicle is moved without your permission.
- Low Battery Alert: You will receive a notification if your car battery drops below a safe threshold.
Premium Services: Three additional value-added features of SmartStart GPS can be accessed with the Premium Secure Service Plans (see pricing below).
- SmartFence: SmartFence creates a secure zone around your vehicle, so you'll be alerted if your vehicle leaves the zone.
- HotSpot: HotSpot adds a virtual fence, or " Do Not Enter Zone," around a location so you'll be alerted if your vehicle goes there.
- Scheduling: Schedule time frames and curfews for notifications by your device.
Home Control: The SmartStart GPS module also allows you to arm or disarm your Alarm.com-powered home security system, or to check on arm/disarm status from your compatible smart device.
Menu Bar/Screens: At the bottom of the SmartStart app screen, the menu bar provides buttons to open the following tabs:
- Home: The Home screen is the default screen, and gives you access to all of the remote commands: Lock, Unlock, SmartStart, Trunk, and Panic.
- Cars: The Cars screen allows you to control multiple vehicles if you have a compatible security/remote start system installed in more than one vehicle.
- Status: The Status tab lets you see at a glance the status of your vehicle and Viper system, including Remote Starter, Doors (locked/unlocked), Doors (open/closed), Trunk, Panic, Ignition, Hood, Active DTC Codes, Security System State, and Security System Triggered.
- More: The More button reveals nine additional options:
- Alerts: shows new status alerts from the alarm system
- Settings: lets you log into your account, change passcode, turn on/off features, and make general settings
- SmartSchedule: continually monitors the temperature, location, and scheduling variables, and will ping you with alerts when appropriate.
- Home Control: lets you control an Alarm.com-powered home security system from the SmartStart app.
- Viper Motor Club: Free 24/7/365 roadside assistance from the Viper Motor Club
- SmartPark: helps you find your car's location, and provides directions when needed.
- Parking Meter: helps you keep track of how much time is remaining on the parking meter, and will alert you when it's time to add more money to the meter.
- Customize: lets you purchase (99 cents) custom skins for the SmartStart app, including a pink color theme (benefits breast cancer research) and an Old School classic Viper 2-way Responder remote. Available for the iPhone version of the app only.
- Find a Dealer: helps you locate the nearest Viper dealer
Virtually Unlimited Range: SmartStart GPS works over the 3G cellular network or over Wi-Fi, giving you virtually unlimited range anywhere in the United States. As long as your vehicle is in range of a GSM cellular signal and your phone has a 3G signal, SmartStart GPS will work. When using Wi-Fi connection, both the vehicle and device must be connected to the same LAN.
SmartStart GPS Service Plans: Once you have installed the VSM250 SmartStart GPS Module, you will need to subscribe to a SmartStart GPS Service Plan. The SmartStart GPS Secure 1-year plan is $69.99, and the 3-year plan is $179.99 (as of November 2013). GPS Premium Secure plans are $89.99 for 1 year and $239.99 for 3 years. Included at no charge with the SmartStart GPS Service Plan is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance.
Our Product Research Team
2 questions already asked
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Yes you will. The SmartStart GPS Secure 1-year plan is $69.99, and the 3-year plan is $179.99 (as of November 2013). GPS Premium Secure plans are $89.99 for 1 year and $239.99 for 3 years. Included at no charge with the SmartStart GPS Service Plan is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jun 19, 2015 ] Staff
Once you have installed this, you will need to subscribe to a SmartStart GPS Service Plan. The SmartStart GPS Secure plans start at $69.99. Premium Secure plans start at $89.99 for 1 year. Included at no charge with the SmartStart GPS Service Plan is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance. [ Jeff Nov 06, 2014 ] Staff