Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Let the SR4003 bring the warm, transparent sound of Marantz to your home theater system. This receiver teams carefully selected audiophile-grade parts with a beefy power supply to deliver all the clean, dynamic power you need to drive up to seven speakers with clarity and precision. Marantz's meticulous isolation of audio and video circuit boards also ensures ultra-high signal purity. The result rich, enveloping surround sound for all your movies, music, TV shows, and video games.
1080p-compatible HDMI switching
The SR4003's digital video capability makes it easy to connect three HDMI-equipped video components and switch among them while maintaining the best possible picture quality. If you've got an HDTV with only one HDMI input, you'll really appreciate this handy feature. The SR4003 can cleanly pass 1080p video, so you can enjoy the highest-quality picture from your Blu-ray player.
Auto speaker setup tailors sound to your room
Marantz's auto setup and room calibration system takes the hassle out of speaker configuration. Just plug in the included microphone and place it in your favorite listening seat. The SR4003 then uses a series of test tones to balance speaker levels and fine-tune the delay and equalization settings for each speaker. The result is optimized home theater performance for your specific speakers and room.
Pick up an optional Marantz control dock, and you can integrate your iPod® into your home theater system. Listen to your digital music files through your best speakers and view your song titles, playlists, and photos on your TV. Use the SR4003's dynamic audio expander mode to enhance the sound of your players compressed music files.
Versatility and convenience
You get a learning, multibrand remote with backlit keys for streamlined control of every component in your system, even in low lighting. The SR4003's on-screen display puts receiver menus on your TV screen to simplify system setup and navigation. The handy front-panel optical digital input lets you easily connect a compatible game console to experience thrilling digital surround sound with your video games.
- 80 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic® IIx, DTS Neo:6, and SRS Circle Surround II decoding
- MRAC (Marantz Room Acoustic Calibration) auto setup system (microphone included)
- iPod® integration (requires optional Marantz IS201)
- M-DAX (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) for better sound with compressed music sources like MP3 files
- high-current, low-impedance amp design
- Source Direct and Pure Direct modes switch off all unused circuitry for the cleanest possible sound
- 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- HDCD decoding for compatible CDs
- Dolby Headphone mode for simulated surround sound via standard stereo headphones
- on-screen display for easier system setup and operation
- sleep timer
- learning/multibrand backlit remote
- 17-3/8"W x 6-5/16"H x 16-7/16"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (3 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.1 supports 7.1 channel LPCM
- component video switching (3 in, 1 out)
- S-video-to-component video conversion
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical (including 1 front-panel, 2 coaxial
- digital audio outputs: 1 optical
- 5 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite video and S-video
- 4 rear-panel inputs with composite and S-video
- 3 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp output
- detachable power cord
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Marantz SR4003 Reviews
What's in the box?
- AV surround receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- RC004SR Learning remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- MC10 microphone with attached 24' cord terminated by a male 3.5mm minijack connector
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- User Guide (English/French/Spanish)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
Features and Specs
Amplifier Section: The Marantz SR4003 A/V Surround Receiver features an 80 watts x 7-channel all discrete amplifier. All seven amplifier channels mount on an in-line array for even heat dissipation. It also employs a massive EI power transformer in combination with oversized filter capacitors. This design configuration is capable of a clear and powerful reproduction of the most demanding action movie soundtracks and full range multi-channel music discs. Through its ability to generate very high output voltages, the unit can easily drive the most demanding speaker with optimum results.
Independent Power Supply Circuits: Independent power supply circuits are incorporated for the receiver's FL display, audio and video sections for maximum separation, clarity and dynamic range.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz SR4003 incorporates an advanced 32-bit digital signal processing circuitry, along with Crystal 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter in each of the unit's 7 channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
S-Video Up/Down Conversion: The SR4003 can take an analog S-video input and up-convert it to Component video or down-convert it to composite video so any S-video signal can be passed through the receiver's component or composite video monitor output terminal to your television.
Surround Speaker System B: The Surround Speaker B system is a function of the receiver which allows you to listen to the same audio source in a room other than the room in which the receiver is located by connecting a pair of speakers to the Surround Back/Speaker B terminals of the receiver. This feature is only available when you have no Surround Back speakers connected to the SR4003. The receiver will be limited to 5.1-channel surround when you have a pair of speakers connected to the receiver in another room.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz SR4003 features a built-in AM/FM tuner which can automatically or manually store up to 50 AM/FM presets that can be labeled and viewed in a channel list.
Marantz Room Acoustic Calibration (MRAC): Using internally generated test signals and proprietary algorithms, MRAC analyzes the acoustic qualities of your room and automatically determines your speaker configuration and capabilities, adjusts channel levels and delay settings, and corrects for virtually all room anomalies through the supplied external microphone.
Manual Speaker Setup: You can also manually setup up your speaker configurations. You can select the size and presence of each speaker, the distance of each speaker from your normal listening position, and the level of each speaker in your system.
Surround Modes: The SR4003 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The receiver features Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital, and DTS decoders.
- Auto: When this mode is selected, the unit determines whether the digital input signal is Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, or PCM audio.
- Source Direct: In the Source Direct mode, the tone control circuit and bass management configuration are bypassed for full-range frequency response and the purist audio reproduction.
- Pure Direct: The Pure Direct mode further reduces sources of noise in addition to effect of the Source Direct mode, by blocking output from the video jacks and turning of the unit's display.
- Stereo: This mode bypasses all surround processing. In stereo program sources, the left and right channels play normally when PCM audio or analog stereo is input. With Dolby Digital and DTS sources, the 5.1 channels are converted to two channels stereo. 96kHz PCM source material can be played back in stereo mode.
- HDCD: When listening to HDCD recordings, you hear more dynamic range, a focused 3-D sound stage, and extremely natural vocal and musical timber.
- Virtual: This mode creates a virtualized surround sound experience from a two-speaker playback system playing any multi-channel audio source.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: This mode is used to create a wider, deeper and more natural soundstage from two channel source material. This is done by feeding the left channel signal to both left front and left surround speakers and the right channel signal to both right front and right surround speaker. Additionally, the center channel reproduces a mix of the right and left channel.
- Circle Surround II (Cinema/Music/Mono): Circle Surround is
designed to enable multi-channel surround sound playback of no-encoded and
multi-channel encode material. Backward compatibility provides listeners
with up to 6.1 channels of surround performances from an entire collection
of music and film, including broadcast, video tape, and stereo recorded
music. Depending on source material , you can select Cinema, Music or Mono
mode. Circle Surround also offers the following parameter adjustments.
- TruBass: TruBass produced by your speakers is an octave below the actual physical capabilities of your speakers adding exciting, deep bass effects.
- SRS Dialog: This feature allows dialogue to easily be discerned from the surround audio effects.
- Dolby Headphone: This mode simulates the waveforms of the actual sounds heard from the speakers when listening to the receiver's audio through a connected pair of headphones.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo-
or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a
seamless, natural surround sound-field that immerses you in the
entertainment experience. Dolby Pro Logic IIx has 5 modes:
- Movie: This mode provides 6.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound from Dolby Surround, encodes stereo movie soundtracks.
- Music: The Pro LogicIIx-Music mode creates a rich and
enveloping ambience from stereo sources such as CDs. In this mode, the
SR4003 includes three controls to fine tune this sound-field.
- Panorama: Panorama wraps the sound of the front left and right speakers around you, for an exciting perspective.
- Dimension: This feature adjusts the sound-field either towards the front or towards the rear of your system. This can be useful to help achieve a more suitable balance from all the speaker with certain recordings.
- Center Width: The Center Width feature allows you to gradually spread the center channel sound into the front left and right speakers.
- Game: This mode restores the impact low-frequency surround effects by routing them to the system's subwoofer.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
- Dolby Digital EX: Dolby Digital EX is a 6.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
- DTS Digital Surround: DTS Digital Surround is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications.
- DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES features two 6.1 multi-channel formats: DTS-ES Discrete 6.1(6.1-channel discrete digital audio format adding a surround back channel to the DTS digital surround sound) and DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 (discrete 6.1 channel digital audio format inserting a surround back channel to the DTS surround sound through matrix encoding)
- DTS Neo:6 Surround: DTS Neo:6 is a matrix decoding technology for achieving 6.1-channel surround playback with 2-channel sources. You can choose from two DTS Neo: 6 Surround formats - Neo: 6 Cinema and Neo: 6 Music. You can also adjust the Center Gain to expand the sound image from the center channel.
- DTS 96/24: DTS 96/24 is a digital audio format enabling high sound quality playback in 5.1-channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bit quantization of DVD-video.
Bass & Treble: You can adjust the receiver's Bass and Treble independently to suit your listening tastes or room acoustics.
Bass Mix: This function allows the low frequencies to be played through the main Front left/right speakers as well as the powered subwoofer.
LFE Level: This function selects the output level of the LFE signal included in the Dolby Digital signal or the DTS signal. You can select from 0 to -10 dB.
HT-EQ: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home. This is because film soundtracks were designed to be played back in large movie theater environments. Activating the receiver's HT-EQ feature when watching a film made from movie theaters corrects this and restores the correct tonal balance.
Night Mode: Useful at night or when loud noise is undesirable, this mode compresses the dynamic range, making it easier to hear quieter audio content without increasing the overall volume of your system. Night Mode is only effective for Dolby Digital content.
On-Screen Display: The receiver incorporates an on-screen menu system which makes various operations and menu selections visible on your connected television set. To view the on-screen display, you will need to connect the Monitor Out jack of the receiver to the composite, S-Video or component video input of your television.
Sleep Timer: The receiver offers a Sleep Timer which will automatically turn the unit off after 120, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, or 120 minutes.
Front Panel Lock: You can lock all the controls on the front panel of the unit, accept for the Power button, to prevent anyone else from changing the settings on your receiver.
Memory Backup: This unit is equipped with a backup function to prevent memory data such as the preset memory from being erased.
Learning Remote: The provided IR wireless remote control is a universal learning remote control. The remote control's buttons are backlit with a press of a button. This remote is preset with a total of 12 types of remote codes including Marantz TV, DVD, VCR, DSS, Tuner, CD/CD-R, MD, Tape, Aux1, Aux2, and amp. The remote also contains codes for other manufactures which can be programmed. In addition, the remote control is capable of learning and storing codes used by other remote controls.
HDMI (version 1.1) Inputs/Output: This unit has 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. The receiver can send digital video and audio signals from DVDs and other sources directly to your connected display. HDMI minimizes signal degradation caused by analog conversion so that high quality images can be enjoyed. The 3 HDMI inputs are assignable from the receiver's on-screen menu. The unit offers to HDMI audio settings.
- Enable: audio input to the HDMI jacks can be played back by the receiver; audio signals are not output to your connected television
- Through: audio input the HDMI jacks is not output from the speaker terminals of this unit; audio data is output directly to your connected television
Component Video Input2/Output: This unit has 3 component video inputs to obtain the color information (Y, Cb, Cr) directly from the recorded DVD signal or other video component; and 1 component video output to output the video signal directly into the matrix decoder of your television. By sending the pure DVD component video signal directly, the DVD signal forgoes the extra processing that normally would degrade the image. the result is vastly increased image quality, with incredibly life like colors and crisp detail.
Digital Inputs/Output: There are 2 coaxial digital inputs and 3 optical digital inputs (one on front). The inputs accept digital audio signals from a compact disc, LD, DVD or other digital source component. There is also 1 optical digital output. The digital outputs can be connected to MD, recorders, CD recorders, DAT decks, or other similar components.
Preamp Outputs: The SR4003 features Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer preamp outputs to connect the receiver to external power amplifiers.
7.1 Channel Input: The SR4003 features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound. If you will not be using the 7.1 channel input with a multi-channel decoder, you can use the front and left inputs as an auxiliary input.
Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post speaker terminals for the front, center, surround, surround back channels. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. The terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs. The collar surrounding the binding post terminals prevent the use of spade connectors.
Front-Panel A/V Input: The receiver features a front-panel AV input which consists of a composite video, S-video, stereo RCA and optical digital jack.
Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the SR4003 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the SR4003 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.