Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
LG's sleek, slim BD550 will help your HDTV and surround sound system look and sound their best. It sends a gorgeous "Full HD" 1080p picture to your HDTV, and also decodes the richly detailed soundtracks found on Blu-ray discs. The combination produces the kind of thrills that you've probably only experienced in a movie theater. This player does wonders for regular DVDs, too, upconverting their standard-def picture to look near HD. Use an HDMI cable to connect this player to your TV or receiver to ensure you're getting the best picture and sound.
NetCast reels in more Internet entertainment
Stream movies, TV shows, and music from the Web whenever you want with NetCast. Just make a wired connection your home network, and you can get access to a number of streaming services, including video from YouTube, Vudu, Roxio CinemaNow, and Netflix. You can also look at your photo albums on Picasa, listen to radio stations that you create on Pandora, and even check the weather with AccuWeather, all from the comfort of your couch. With an ever-changing list of entertainment options, you'll never get bored.
- plays standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs, including MP3, JPEG, and AVCHD files
- Internet-ready plays TV shows, movies, music, and news updates from a number of sources, including YouTube, Vudu, Roxio® CinemaNow, Netflix®, Picasa, Pandora®, AccuWeather®, and more (memberships to some services may be required)
- BD-Live Ready requires 1GB USB memory drive
- SimpLink simplifies remote control for compatible LG TVs and components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- ENERGY STAR® certification
- remote control included
- selectable output resolution: 1080p signals available through HDMI output only; 720p/1080i signals available through HDMI or component video
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p video upconversion for DVD (upconverted video available through HDMI output only)
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD Master Audio
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (up to 7.1 channels — HDMI connection required)
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and HDMI
- audio outputs include stereo and coaxial digital
- Ethernet port for Internet connectivity and possible future upgrades
- USB port (front) for storing downloaded BD-Live content and playing music and photos
- 16-15/16"W x 1-7/8"H x 9-9/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Blu-ray Disc players the ultimate picture and sound
Blu-ray players deliver a better picture to your HDTV than any other available source. In fact, Blu-ray's 1080p picture is a perfect match for the 1080p screens found on most current TVs. Blu-ray movies also offer the most precise and realistic surround sound you can get. These players do a terrific job with standard DVDs, too you'll see a cleaner, clearer picture with every disc in your collection. Many Blu-ray players can connect to the Internet for watching online movies from Netflix® and other video services.
LG BD550 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
LG Blue Ray Rocks!
This blue ray player is excellent. I bought this one to upgrade from the previous version, and I couldn't be happier. The picture quality is excellent, but it is the bells and whistles that make it sing. I have gigabit LAN in my house, so I didn't need the WIFI feature of the uber model. The Netcast feature is so convenient, and the player automatically updates every quarter or so to upgrade software and firmware. Often after the update, new Netcast choices appear. Presently my favorites are Netflix streaming and Pandora, with MLB.tv available during baseball season. With all of the options Netcast offers, i rarely even watch my Comcast cable channels anymore and I'm considering dumping cable TV altogether. Upconverting conventional DVD's to your choice of resolutions is a great plus. With my LG 47" LCD TV, the picture quality can't be beat in my price range. If you have a network jack nearby and plug this player into it (I have it plugged into a 4 port gigabit switch that's plugged into the network) you won't be disappointed.
Trailing behind the line
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
If you are looking for BD player than it may present a good value, however in current days of
networked apps this player is lacking much of latest apps and capabilities. First it is not
flexible on apps, second very few limited apps are on the list, third it will not play from from
networked drives or computers. Crutchfield has good timely service & delivery.
LG BD5 Internet-ready Blu-ray Disc player
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This is a fabulous player. I love being able to download movies from the internet and
not having to worry about returning them in the mail or to the rental store. My regular
DVD's are sharper than they were on my old DVD player. I also, like buying from
Crutchfield because of the quality items, great bargains, friendly customer service and
lightning fast shipping. So far, I have not needed any technical assistance or support,
but it's nice knowing it is available if I should have any problems. This really
complements the 1080P 32" Sony Bravia I purchased from Crutchfield!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great Blu-Ray player. Excellent price. I did not need wifi so I saved some money.
Disc load much faster then my original player. Netflix also works really well.
What's in the box?
- Single-disc Blu-ray player
- Remote control (AKB72975301)
- Two "AAA" batteries
- 47" Composite video cable
- 47" Stereo RCA cable
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Setup & Internet Connectivity Guide (English)
- Quick Setup & Internet Connectivity Guide (Spanish)
- Product Registration Card
- Netflix offer sheet
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix/Vudu/Roxio/YouTube|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||Stereo|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Compatibility: The LG BD550 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
- BD-ROM: Blu-ray discs such as movies that can be purchased or rented.
- BD-R/RE: BD-R/RE discs that contain video, music, or photo files.
- DVD-Video: DVD-Video discs (8cm/12cm) such as movies that can be purchased or rented.
- DVD+/-R (DL): DVD +/-R discs (8cm/12cm) which contain video, music, or photo files (Video mode and finalized only).
- DVD+/-RW: DVD+/-RW discs (8cm/12cm) which contain video, music, or photo files (Video mode and finalized only).
- CD-Audio: CD-audio discs (8cm/12cm) which can be purchased.
- CD-R/RW: CD-R/RW discs (8cm/12cm) that contain music or photo files.
Region Code: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BD550 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1.
Copy Protection: Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better picture quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better sound quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Much greater storage capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Compatibility with your current disc collections: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet via the rear panel Ethernet terminal.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition signal.
JPEG Playback: This unit will play JPEG still picture files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. The JPEG file size should be less than 4,000 x 3,000 @ 24-bit/pixel or less than 3,000 x 3,000 @ 32 bit/pixel. The player can recognize up to 2,000 still-image files and folders. Still images on your disc can be viewed in a Slide-Show, as well as rotated and zoomed.
MP3/WMA Playback: The BD550 supports MP3/WMA audio files (8-320 kbps) recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs recorded in ISO 9660+Joliet, UDF, or UDF Bridge format. When stopped and restarted, playback resumes at the same point as long as the tray hasn't been opened and the player hasn't been turned off.
Note: This unit does not support ID3 Tags.
Parental Control: The LG BD550 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users (DVD: 1-8, BD: 0-255). The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password.
Video Outputs: The LG BD550 Blu-ray disc player features two high-definition video outputs (HDMI, Component) and one standard-definition video output (composite).
- HDMI (ver.1.3): The BD550's HDMI output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. This unit features HDCP copyright protection technology, and must be connected to an HDCP-compliant device. If your TV has a DVI input instead of an HDMI input, you can connect this unit to your TV using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. You will also need to connect audio cables to the player because DVI is a video only cable. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television.
- Component Video: The component video resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. When a copyright protected DVD is played, the maximum component video output resolution is 480p.
- Composite Video: The composite output is fixed at 480i.
1080p HDMI Output with DVD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BD550 is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, 720p, or 480p.
1080p/24Hz: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BD550 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
Deep Color: The LG Blu-ray player supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the player and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color.
x.v.Color: The BD550 supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future.
TV Aspect Ratio: You can select a TV aspect ratio to match your television's screen type. You can choose from 16:9 Original, 16:9 Full, 4:3 Pan & Scan, or 4:3 Letter Box.
Picture Mode: You can adjust the contrast, brightness, color, sharpness, and noise reduction of the player's video output during playback.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Marker Search: You can start playback from up to nine memorized points.
Last Scene Memory: This unit memorizes the last scene from the last disc that is viewed. The last scene remains in memory even if you remove the disc from the unit or switch off the unit. If you load the disc that has the scene memorized, the scene is automatically recalled.
Note: The Last Scene Memory function for a previous disc is erased once a different disc is played.
Multi-View Angle: If the disc contains scenes recorded at different camera angles, you can change to a different camera angle during playback.
Auto Power Off: The screen saver appears when you leave the player in Stop mode for approximately 5 minutes. The unit will then automatically turn itself off after the screen saver is displayed for 25 minutes.
Surround Sound Decoders: The BD550 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the optical or coaxial digital output.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.
DRC (Dynamic Range Control): When content encoded in Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus is playing back, you may wish to compress the dynamic range of the audio output (the difference between the loudest sounds and the quietest sounds). This allows you to listen to a movie at a lower volume without losing clarity of sound.
Audio Outputs: The LG BD550 Blu-ray disc player features two digital audio outputs (HDMI & Coaxial) and one analog RCA audio output.
Digital Audio Settings: The player offers the following digital audio output settings.
- Output Sound Format: Select the output sound format when you
connect the player via a HDMI or coaxial digital connection.
- PCM Stereo: use when connecting this unit's HDMI or coaxial digital output to a device with two-channel digital stereo decoder
- PCM Multi-Channel (HDMI only): use when connecting this unit's HDMI output to a device with multi-channel digital decoding
- DTS Re-Encode: use when connect this unit's HDMI or coaxial digital output to a device with a DTS decoder
- Primary Pass-Thru: use when connecting this unit's HDMI or coaxial digital output to a device with LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD decoders
- Sampling Frequency: Select which sampling frequency the digital
audio output uses to match your connected system.
- 192kHz: select this if your AV receiver is capable of handling 192 kHz signals
- 96 kHz: select this if your AV receiver is not capable of handling 192 kHz signals; this unit will automatically converts any 192 kHz signal to 96 kHz so your system can decode them
- 48 kHz: select this if your AV receiver is not capable of handling 192 kHz and 96 kHz signals; the unit will automatically convert any 192 kHz and 96 kHz signal to 48 kHz so your system can decode them
Digital Output/Surround Mode Chart:
|PCM Stereo||PCM Multi-Channel||DTS Re-encode||Primary Pass-Thru|
|Dolby Digital||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 5.1ch||N/A||DTS||DTS||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital|
|Dolby Digital Plus||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 5.1ch||N/A||DTS||DTS||Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital|
|Dolby TrueHD||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 5.1ch||N/A||DTS||DTS||Dolby Digital TrueHD||Dolby Digital|
|DTS||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 5.1ch||N/A||DTS||DTS||DTS||DTS|
|DTS-HD||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 7.1ch||N/A||DTS||DTS||DTS-HD||DTS|
|Linear PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||N/A||DTS||DTS||Linear PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch|
|Linear PCM 5.1ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 5.1ch||N/A||DTS||DTS||Linear PCM 5.1ch||PCM 2ch|
|Linear PCM 7.1ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 7.1ch||N/A||DTS||DTS||Linear PCM 7.1ch||PCM 2ch|
LAN (100) Port: This player can be connected to a local area network (LAN) via the unit's LAN port (Ethernet) on the rear panel. Connect the player's rear panel LAN (100) terminal to your Internet modem or router using a CAT-5 network cable (Ethernet cable sold separately) to access select Internet video and music content, or update the unit's software. A 10 Base-T or 100 Base-TX LAN port is required for wired connection to this player.
Note: If there is a DHCP server on the local area network (LAN) via a wired connection, this player will automatically be allocated an IP address. After making the wired connection, a small number of home networks may require the player's network settings to be adjusted
USB Port: The BD550 can play music (MP3/WMA) and photo (JPEG) files contained in a USB device (1.1 or 2.0) from its front-panel USB type-A port. This unit supports USB flash drives and external HDDs formatted in FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS. You can also record a desired track or all of the tracks from an inserted Audio CD to an inserted USB storage device. You can select between a 128kbps, 192kbps, 320kbps, or Lossless encoding format. In addition, a connected USB device can be used for local storage of BD-LIVE discs.
Note: Some USB devices may not work with this unit. Digital cameras, mobile phones, and computers are not supported.
NetCast Entertainment Access: NetCast Entertainment Access brings select Internet services directly to the LG TV, with no computer required. NetCast Entertainment allows you to access media directly from your high-speed broadband connection with exceptional audio and video quality. You can instantly access movies and TV shows from Netflix, Roxio CinemaNow, and Vudu; as well as music from Pandora. You can also access news and weather information from Yahoo Widgets. You can use various content services via the Internet with the NetCast Entertainment Access feature.
- Roxio CinemaNow: With Roxio CinemaNow, you can get instant access to pay-per-view movies from major studios from this NetCast enabled Blu-ray disc player directly to your TV screen. You can find movies of every genre, along with broadcast and cable television programs. The entire premium content catalogue can be browsed directly and selections can be watched instantly. To watch movies and TV episodes instantly from Roxio CinemaNow, you must have an existing account or create a new account.
- Netflix: You can instantly watch movies and TV episodes from Netflix streamed over the internet to the Blu-ray player and you connected television. Your instant Queue will appear on your connected TV via the Blu-ray player, so your selections are available to watch anytime. You are able to add and manage movies and TV episodes in your instant Queue from the Netflix website directly on the Blu-ray player and your connected TV. To watch movies and TV episodes instantly from Netflix, you must be a Netflix member.
- Vudu: You can browse, search, and view movies and TV episodes from Vudu streamed over the internet to your TV via the LG Blu-ray disc player. Vudu offers major studio movie releases in Full HD 1080p with Dolby Digital Plus sound. You can manage and select Vudu content directly from the Blu-ray player and your connected TV. To watch movies and TV episodes instantly from Vudu, you must have a Vudu account.
- YouTube: You can browse, search, and watch YouTube videos over the internet to your TV via the LG Blu-ray disc player.
- Pandora: You can instantly listen to personalized radio stations, streamed over the internet from Pandora via the LG Blu-ray player. You can create stations by entering your favorite artist or song. After entering, Pandora offers you a radio station featuring that music and more like it. If you don't already have a Pandora account, you will need to create one. You can add more than one Pandora User account to this player. Everyone in your household can create their own Pandora accounts, so they can create and listen to their own stations.
- Picasa Web Albums: Enjoy photo albums from friends and family on the Picasa on-line service. Images can be displayed as thumbnails, slide-shows, rotated, and zoomed. You will need an active Picasa account.
- AccuWeather: See on-line local and global weather forecasts from AccuWeather.com
- Yahoo! TV Widgets: Yahoo! Widgets lets you access popular web services and entertainment without changing the channel.
Note: Internet connection and subscription required and sold separately. Vudu & Pandora is not available in Canada and only supported in the United States. A recommended minimum connection speed of 1.5 to 2.25 Mbps is required. For the best quality picture, a connection speed of 4.0 to 9.0 Mbps is required. The content of NetCast services and service related information, including user interface, is subject to changes. Please refer to the website of each service for most up-to-date information.
Gracenote Metadata Service: The player can access the Gracenote Media Database and load the music information so the Track name, Artist name, Genre, and other text information can be displayed on your connected TV.
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The LG Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network and features front-panel USB port for additional storage.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote operates this unit and a LG TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. The remote is also pre-programmed with power, input, channel, and volume controls for several other brand TVs.
SIMPLINK: Some functions of the LG BD550 are controlled by the TV's remote control when this unit is connected to a SIMPLINK compatible LG TV via HDMI. Controllable functions by a compatible LG TV's remote control: Play, Pause, Scan, Skip, Stop, Power Off, etc..