Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The RC797T rolls a DVD recorder, a VCR, and a digital TV tuner into one space-saving unit. Record your favorite shows to either VHS tapes or durable DVDs. And you can record both analog TV shows and crystal-clear digital broadcasts (all recordings are made in standard definition). Simply connect an antenna to receive free digital TV over the air, or use the RC797T's built-in tuner to watch and record unscrambled digital cable channels. In addition, this recorder gives you two ways to back up your home movies either connect a camcorder to the front-panel inputs, or take advantage of the recorder's dual-deck design for quick and easy dubbing of non-copy-protected material.
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- receives all HDTV/SDTV broadcast formats records and displays in standard definition only
- upconverts and displays video at 720p or 1080i via HDMI digital interface
- separate adapter available for TVs with DVI input
- selectable progressive-scan playback for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- 5 recording quality settings
- Time Shift recording/playback with DVD-RAM discs
- can control most cable boxes and satellite receivers for timer recording
- LG SimpLink allows convenient control of compatible LG products via the HDMI connection
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM
- USB input for playing digital photos and music files from a portable USB memory drive
- front-panel digital camcorder input (IEEE 1394)
- 2 sets audio/video inputs (composite), including 1 front-panel
- 1 set audio/video outputs (composite, S-video, and 480i/480p component video)
- records to the following types of discs:
- write-once DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs, for making permanent recordings
- rewritable DVD-RWs, DVD+RWs and DVD-RAMs, for making recordings you can watch and then erase
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, and Video CD
- plays audio CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- one-touch record
- remote control (multibrand for TV)
- 16-7/8"W x 3-3/16"H x 12"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- Note: Internal dubbing of copy-protected DVDs is not possible.
LG RC797T Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I've been using this for 8 weeks to transfer old VHS & 8mm to DVD. It's working perfect so far and the option to use DVD-ram has been handy as well (the sony won't do that). Why spend the extra money for the Sony when the LG does the same job for less?
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
As with my other LG products the RC797T is a great piece of equipment. Easy set up. Great performance and informative easy to read manual. LG tech assistance is the best.. A smart choice..
What's in the box?
- Single-disc DVD recorder/Video Cassette Recorder combo
- Wireless remote control (AKB32606601)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' AC cord
- 6' Composite video cord
- 6' Stereo RCA audio patch cord
- 6' RF Coaxial cable
- IR blaster with attached 6.5' cord (3.5mm miniplug terminal)
- 2" Strip of double-sided tape
- Blank 4.7GB/120 minute DVD-RW disc
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- Product Registration card
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Hard Drive Recorder||No|
|Hard Drive Capacity||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|RCA Audio Inputs||2 Pair|
|Composite Video Inputs||2|
|Component Video Inputs||No|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Overview: The LG RC797T is a DVD and Video Cassette recorder with a built-in digital tuner. It can control a digital cable box or a digital satellite set-top box. This unit will record on multiple DVD formats, including DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM. For playback, the RC797T can upconvert standard DVD signals to high-definition resolutions of 720p or 1080i, and outputs them via HDMI.
Built-in Tuners: The RC797T has both digital and analog TV tuners built in: ATSC, NTSC, and QAM Clear Tuners. In addition, the unit can control multiple brands of digital cable boxes and digital satellite set-top boxes. An IR blaster is included.
HDMI Output: The RC797T has an HDMI output, in addition to a component video, S-video, and a composite video output. The HDMI output supports both video and audio on a single digital connection. Both the DVD and VCR are output through the HDMI connection.
1080i Video Upconversion: This unit will upconvert video signals up to 720p or 1080i on the HDMI output. The component video connection can only output 480i or 480p video signals. Progressive scan does not work with the RF, Composite video, or the S-Video outputs.
Digital-to-Analog Converters: This unit is equipped with a 12-bit, 108MHz video D/A converter, and a 24-bit, 192kHz audio D/A converter.
Recordable Discs: The RC797T is a Super Multi DVD recorder, making it compatible with the following recordable and playable discs:
- DVD-RW: DVD-ReWritable discs--can be formatted for VR mode recording or Video mode recording--can be recorded on repeatedly, erased, and recorded on again.
- DVD-R: DVD-Recordable discs--can be formatted to Video mode only--can be recorded only once.
- DVD-RAM: DVD-Random Access Memory--can be formatted for VR mode recording (Ver. 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 only)--can be recorded on repeatedly, erased, and recorded on again.
- DVD+RW: DVD+ReWritable discs--can be recorded on repeatedly, erased, and recorded on again.
- DVD+R: DVD+Recordable discs--playable on DVD+R compatible players--can be recorded only once.
- DVD+R DL: DVD+Recordable; Double Layer discs--storage space is nearly doubled with double-layer media--playable on DVD+R compatible players--can be recorded only once.
Recommended Recordable DVD Discs:
- DVD-R: Mitsubishi (8x, 16x), That's (8x, 16x), Sony (16x)
- DVD+R: Mitsubishi (8x, 16x), Ricoh (8x, 16x), Sony (16x)
- DVD-RW: Mitsubishi (4x), Verbatim (4x), JVC (4x), Victor (4x), Maxell (4x)
- DVD+RW: Mitsubishi (4x), Sony (2.4x), Verbatim (2.4x), Ricoh (2.4x, 4x)
- DVD+R DL: Mitsubishi (2.4x), Maxell (2.4x)
- DVD-RAM: Mitsubishi (2x), Fujifilm (2x)
Playable Discs: The RC797T is capable of playing the following discs:
- DVD Video
- MP3, WMA, JPEG files on DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW
- Audio CD
- CD-R, CD-RW
- MP3, WMA, JPEG files on CD-R or CD-RW
USB Input: The front-panel mounted USB input allows you to connect a USB Flash drive and play MP3/WMA music files or JPEG image files. The player supports USB devices with up to 1000 files, formatted in FAT16 or FAT32.
MP3/WMA Playback: Discs containing MP3 files should be recorded at a bit rate between 8 and 320 kbps. WMA files should be recorded at a bit rate of 32 to 192 kbps. The CD-R physical format should be ISO 9660 or Joliet, while the DVD format should be ISO 9660 (UDF Bridge format). The total number of files and folders on a disc should be less than 1999.
JPEG Playback: It is recommended that JPEG image files of less than 4MB be recorded onto CDs or DVDs to avoid long file loading time. Like MP3 and WMA, no more than 1999 files and folders should be on any given disc.
Parental Control: You can limit the playback of certain rated DVDs based on their content. When the parental control function is "locked", you can select a rating of 1 (most restrictions) to 8 (least restrictive). When the function is "unlocked," parental control is not active, and the disc plays in full. Parental Control is protected by a 4-digit password.
Dynamic Range Control: When watching a DVD, you can compress the dynamic range of the audio output, allowing you to listen to a movie at a lower volume without losing sound clarity. The DRC can be turned on or off as desired.
Markers: You can start playback from up to six memorized points. You can set a marker at a point on the DVD where you'd like to quickly return. After markers are set on the disc, you can search for a specific marker by number, and begin playback from that point.
Last Scene Memory: The player memorizes the last scene from the last disc that is viewed. The last scene remains in memory even if you remove the disc from the player or switch off the player. If you load a disc that has a memorized scene, the player automatically recalls that scene.
Remote Control: The supplied remote control can operate the DVD player, as well as TVs made by LG/GoldStar, Zenith, Samsung, Sony, and Hitachi. You can control the input source, volume, and power of TV. With the supplied IR Blaster, you can control different brands of cable boxes, satellite set-top boxes, and digital video recorders.
Simplink: Some functions of this unit are controlled by the TV's remote control when this unit and an LG TV with Simplink are connected through the HDMI connection. Controllable functions by the LG TV's remote include play, pause, scan, skip, stop, and power off.
DVD-VCR Dubbing: You can copy the contents of a DVD onto a VHS tape, or vice versa, using the Dubbing button. Copy-protected DVDs or VHS tapes cannot be copied
DVD Recording Speeds: The RC797T can record DVDs in five preset recording quality modes. The modes and the recording time on a 4.7GB blank DVD include:
- XP: Highest quality setting--1 hour recording time
- SP: Default quality setting--2 hours recording time
- LP: Slightly lower video quality--4 hours recording time
- EP: Low video quality--6 hours recording time
- MLP: Longest recording time with lowest video quality--11 hours recording time
VHS Recording Speeds: This unit can record onto VHS tape in two speeds: SP (standard play) or SLP (3 times SP). A standard T-120 tape will give you two hours of recording time in SP, and six hours of recording time in SLP.
Instant Timer Recording: Instant Timer Recording allows you to easily make a recording of a preset length without using the program timer. Recording starts after the first press of the Record button, and each subsequent press of the button increases the recording time by 10 minutes on the DVD or 30 minutes on the VCR.
Timer Recording: The Timer Recording function allows you to record up to 16 programs within a period of one month. You can choose a DVD recording speed of XP, SP, LP, EP, MLP, or AT (Auto). If recording on the VCR, you can select a speed of SP, SLP, or AT (Auto). In the AT (Auto) mode, the unit determines how much time is available on the disc or tape, and switches the record mode, if necessary, to completely record the program.
AV1 Timer Recording: When the recorder is connected to an external set-top box, such as a cable box or satellite receiver, you can set the RC797T to record the incoming video signal on the AV1 input. You can enter the desired channel on the set-top box when the recording event is programmed, and the recorder will change the channel on the set-top box before the recording begins. Note: The set-top box must remain turned on at all times, and the supplied IR control cable must be used.
Simultaneous Play and Record: You can play a DVD while recording a program on the VCR. You cannot play or record both DVD and VCR at the same time.
Playback During Recording: When using a DVD-RAM disc, you can start playback from the beginning of a title while continuing to record it. You can watch the playback in full screen or as a Picture-in-Picture with what is currently being recorded. When viewing as PIP, you can switch between the PIP window and Main window. Playback cannot be started until at least 30 seconds after recording starts.
Recording From External Inputs: You can record from external components, such as a camcorder or VCR. The recorder has three inputs: AV1 (rear panel), AV2 (front panel) and DV (front panel). You can record onto tape or DVD from the external device.
DVD Editing: Using the Title List menu, you can edit video content. For discs recorded in the VR mode, you can directly edit the original content, or create and edit a playlist. The Playlist doesn't change the original content, but controls how the content is played back.
Finalizing Discs: In order to play DVDs on other players, the disc must be finalized. Finalizing "fixes" the recordings and edits in place so the disc can be played on a regular DVD player or computer with a suitable DVD-ROM drive.
Inputs: The LG RC797T has three A/V inputs: composite video/stereo RCA audio on the back panel, composite video/stereo RCA audio on the front panel, and DV (IEEE 1394) on the front panel. The composite video inputs can be used to connect a VCR, cable boxes, or satellite set-top box. The DV input can be used to connect a digital camcorder or D-VHS video deck.
Outputs: The recorder has outputs that allow you to connect the unit to virtually any TV. You can connect the recorder to a TV via composite video, S-Video, or component video. (Video from both the VCR and the DVD player are output from these analog video outputs.) A set of stereo RCA audio outputs is provided for each output. The unit also has an HDMI output which sends digital audio and video signals on a single cable. The output resolution for the component video output is 480i/480p, and for the HDMI output, the resolution is 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.
Digital Outputs: Two digital audio outputs, one coaxial and one optical, are provided for connecting to A/V receivers with digital multi-channel decoders for Dolby Digital, MPEG 2 and DTS.
Antenna Connections: The recorder has two RF coaxial jacks for use with an over-the-air antenna or a coax cable TV connection. One jack is an input from an antenna, cable box, or wall jack. The other is an RF output for connecting an older TV without A/V connections. Note: You can also view video from either the VCR or the DVD player through the RF output.
USB Input: The front panel USB input is for playing MP3, WMA, or JPEG files from a USB Flash Drive. It is not compatible with USB-based hard disc drive media players.