Kenwood Satellite Radio Kit
Enjoy Sirius programming on your factory radio
Item #: 700KS300SX
This item is no longer available.
This all-in-one kit lets you add Sirius satellite radio to any factory radio equipped with a 3.5mm auxiliary input. It comes with a Kenwood Factory Radio System, Kenwood adapter cable, and the SC-C1 universal satellite radio tuner.
Kenwood KOS-A300 Factory Radio Upgrade System
The KOS-A300 upgrade system is easy to install and easy to use. Simply install the hideaway box, connect it to your car radio's auxiliary input, and it's ready to go. Now you can add Kenwood components to your system, so you'll be able to enjoy the music and programming on Sirius, experience the enhanced sound quality of HD Radio™, and even use the system's USB input to play music from your iPod, mp3 player or thumb drive.
System information appears on the dash-mountable LCD display, and the wired multi-control wheel makes it easy to access all system functions. You can even change the illumination color to match your car's interior lighting. The KOS-A300 works with a variety of Kenwood adapters, including Bluetooth.
SiriusConnect Car-only Tuner
The SC-C1 universal tuner lets you receive Sirius Satellite Radio in your vehicle, and the included CA-SR20V cable connects this Sirius tuner to the Kenwood KOS-A300 Upgrade System. You'll see channel, song, and artist information on your dash-mount display; and you can save your favorite Sirius channels as presets. The package includes a roof-mount antenna that attaches to your vehicle with a powerful magnetic base. The included removable metal mounting plate makes it easy to install the SC-C1 out of sight.
Note: A subscription to Sirius is also required. Satellite radio service is available only within the lower 48 states — not available in Hawaii or U.S. territories. Limited service is available in Alaska.
- package includes Kenwood KOS-A300 factory radio upgrade solution and Sirius SC-C1 tuner/adapter cable package
Kenwood KOS-A300 factory radio upgrade solution
- factory radio upgrade system
- package includes hideaway connection box, dash-mount 5-line display, and wired multi-control wheel
- add sources to any radio with a 3.5mm auxiliary input
- add Kenwood adapters and components to your stereo
- plugs into your car radio's auxiliary input
- warranty: 1 year
Sirius SC-C1 satellite radio car tuner
- low-profile, roof-mount antenna with 21' cable
- includes SiriusConnect adapter cable that connects to Kenwood's KOS-A300 system
- channel scan/search
- channel presets
- 3-7/16"W x 1-3/8"H x 5-3/4"D (with cables attached)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Kenwood Satellite Radio Kit Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Kenwood Satellite Radio Kit
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
piece of junk wish I had never bought it. the display is upside down, the knob is difficult to use when driving and the the dash adhesive lasted two weeks, switching to a Sirius car unit
My 2009 BMW 3 series was Sirius radio ready but the part was a diminishing source that the dealer wanted $1600 for. I couldn't find a slick alternative until this unit. You can buy a extension cable from Crutchfield for your factory installed satellite radio antenna to achieve a closer to factory look. I had a lot of hours in the install but when completed, I was more than happy with the look, feel, and sounds of this combo.
Pros: Slick look. Quality feel controller. Display colors to match your car illumination.
Cons: Big wires, a lot to hide
What's in the box?
- The Kenwood KOS-A300Factory Radio Upgrade Solution Includes:
- External media controller hide-away box
- LCD display unit with attached 10' cable terminated by a proprietary connector
- Rotary controller with attached 6.5' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector
- 8' Power/ground harness
- 10' stereo minijack-to-RCA audio cable
- 58" USB cable (with a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- LCD display unit flush-mount bracket
- LCD display unit self-adhesive stand
- Self-adhesive stand's mounting bracket
- Rotary-knobs surface mount bracket
- 2 Angled spacers
- Four 2mm x 5mm machine screws
- Six 2mm x 10mm machine screws
- Two 2mm x 11mm machine screws
- Six 3mm x 14mm machine screws
- Two 4mm x 7mm mounting screws
- Two 4mm x 16mm mounting screws
- Two 4mm x 16mm self-tapping screws
- 3.5" x 1.625" plastic removal tool
- Two-side self-adhesive pad
- 2 Velcro strips
- 2 Wire ties
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
- 2 Correction notes
- "Attention!" note
- Display template
- The Kenwood CA-SR20V Cable Includes:
- 7.5" KAB to SiriusConnect adapter cable
- Instruction manual
- TheSC-C1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner includes:
- SiriusConnect vehicle tuner
- Mini-magnetic antenna with 21' cable using a SMB connector
- 63" SiriusConnect interface cable with a male 8-pin DIN-connector on each end
- 4 Mounting screws
- 2.75" Rubber antenna tail cover with a self-adhesive backing
- Alcohol wipe
- Installation Guide
- Sirius Channel Guide
Features and Specs
Overview: The Kenwood KOS-A300 External Media Controller is a factory radio upgrade solution which allows you to add an iPod or Zune portable digital music player, advanced Bluetooth hands-free phone operation (via optional Bluetooth module), and Satellite or HD Radio (requires optional tuner) to your existing factory audio system (which must include an auxiliary input). The KOS-A300 also includes an Auxiliary input for connection of any portable audio device. The Kenwood KOS-A300 is a 3-piece device which includes a LCD Display Unit, Rotary Control Knob, and Hide-Away Module.
LCD Display Unit: The Kenwood KOS-A300 includes an external LCD display to indicate source information from your connected devices (such as iPod text, Satellite or HD Radio text, or Bluetooth text). The LCD display offers 4-lines of text, or 2-lines of text with graphics. The LCD display also offers variable illumination (10 colors) so your can customize the KOS-A300 to match your vehicle's dash lighting. In addition, the LCD display offers an adjustable contrast (1-10) and adjustable dimmer (Auto/On/Off). The LCD display can either be flush or surface mounted. The LCD display comes with a flush-mount bracket so the unit can be recessed in the dash for a more custom look. The LCD display also comes with a self-adhesive mount so it can easily be placed on your dash or console. The self-adhesive mount allows you to swivel the LCD display left/right and angle the display up/down. The LCD display features an attached 10' cable terminated by a proprietary connector which plugs into this system's hide-away box.
Rotary Control Dial: The Kenwood KOS-A300 includes a 7-way wired-remote rotary-commander with 3 additional push-buttons. This rotary controller provides complete control over the KOS-A300 and your connected audio sources (such as: iPod, Zune, Bluetooth, HD or SAT Radio). The rotary control dial comes with a surface-mount bracket to install the unit on your dash or console. The rotary control dial features an attached 6.5' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector which plugs into this system's hide-away box.
Hide-Away Connection Module: The Kenwood KOS-A300 includes a hide-away box which includes all the connections for the system. The hide-away module includes all the necessary audio inputs for connecting your compatible audio devices and an audio output to connect to your factory headunit. The hide-away box features integrated mounting flanges and can easily be installed under a seat. The hide-away module features the following connections.
- Power: The KOS-A300's hide-away module features a 6-pin molex plug for connecting the supplied 8' power/ground harness which includes the following connections: 12V accessory (Red), 12V constant (Yellow), Ground (Black), Illumination (Orange/white), and Mute (Brown).
- Display: This is a proprietary multi-pin port for connecting the LCD display unit.
- Remote In: There is a 3.5mm jack for connecting the rotary control dial.
- USB: The KOS-A300 features a USB type-A port for connecting a portable digital audio device such as an iPod or Zune.
- KAB: This is a proprietary Kenwood port for connecting optional proprietary Kenwood sources, such as: Bluetooth, HD Radio, XM Radio, or Satellite Radio.
- Aux In: The hide-away module features a stereo RCA auxiliary input for connecting a external portable audio source such as a CD player.
- Line Out: The unit's stereo RCA line output connects to your factory radio's auxiliary input to deliver audio from connected audio devices.
USB Port: The Kenwood KOS-A300 features a USB type-A port for connecting a portable USB mass storage device. The KOS-A300 supports the playback of MP3 (8-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), and AAC (16-320kbps) audio files stored on a USB mass storage device formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders, 4096 files per folder, and 15000 total files. The KOS-A300 also supports basic playback operation (such as: Play/Pause, Folder Skip, File Skip, Random) and text display.
Note: This unit supports the PC application "Kenwood Music Editor Lite version 1.0 or later. When you connect a USB mass storage device with database information added by the Kenwood Music Editor Lite 1.0, you can search a compressed music file by title, album, or artist name.
iPod/Zune Compatible: The KOS-A300's single USB type-A port is also compatible with select Apple iPods (using the Kenwood KCA-iP101 or standard USB/iPod dock cable) and Microsoft Zunes (using proprietary cable supplied with Zune). The unit supports audio playback, control, text display, and charging of select iPod and Zune models. You can choose to control your connected iPod from the KOS-A300's rotary controller or from the iPod's click-wheel/touch-screen (the Zune player's controls will be locked). The Kenwood KOS-A300 allows you to browse your iPod's music content by Artist, Album, Genre, or Composer in alphabetical order (offers only basic playback functions for Zune players). The Kenwood KOS-A300 External Media Controller supports the following Apple iPod and Microsoft Zune models.
- iPod: iPod video (5th gen), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod nano (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th gen), iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd gen), iPhone (2G/3G/3GS/4)
- Zune: V2 Zune (80GB), V2 Zune (4/8GB), V1 Zune (30GB)
Bluetooth Ready: The Kenwood KOS-A300 is Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT300 Bluetooth adapter. Using the KCA-BT300 and the adapter's supplied microphone you can make and answer phone calls using the KOS-A300's wired remote-control knob and LCD display, as well as listen to audio files stored on a Bluetooth enabled audio player through your factory audio system. You can make and answer calls from your cell-phone using the KOS-A300 using the unit's wired-remote commander and LCD display; you can dial a number directly, dial from your downloaded Phonebook information (up to 1,000 numbers), or dial out from an outgoing/incoming call list. This unit all supports Voice Recognition if your mobile-phone is Voice Recognition compatible (the unit supports up to 35 voice-tags). In addition, the unit features SMS (Short Message Service) so you can read short text messages that were delivered to your cell-phone on the KOS-A300's LCD display. When your cell-phone is called, the KOS-A300 mutes your factory audio system automatically (you will need to hook-up Brown Mute-Wire of the harness). The KOS-A300 also supports Call Waiting (subscription required) so you can answering an incoming call with your current call suspended. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones, but only one compatible Bluetooth cell phone can be connected when using the KCA-BT300 adapter.
Note: Visit Kenwood.com for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Sirius Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the included SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner (SC-C1) and the Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (CA-SR20V). SIRIUS Satellite Radio features more than 120 streams of original programming beamed coast-to-coast, including 65 streams of commercial-free, digital-quality music, and news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS.
HD Radio Ready: The KOS-A300 is HD Radio ready. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (item # 113HR300), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the KOS-A300's LCD display. You can store 18 FM and 6 AM stations in the unit's preset memory.
Note: You cannot connect the HD Radio tuner along with a Satellite Radio tuner. You can only connect one or the other.
Auxiliary Input: The KOS-A300 External Media Controller features a stereo RCA auxiliary input for connecting an external portable audio device, such as a CD player. The unit's auxiliary input's name can be set to AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video, or TV. You can adjust the input level of the auxiliary input from -8 to +8.
Favorite Control: You can register the operation procedure to select your favorite Satellite or HD Radio, broadcast station, iPod Playlists/Artists, or Bluetooth phone number, allowing you to find your favorite selections quickly.
LCD Display Unit:
- Width = 3.9375"
- Height = 1.625"
- Depth = 0.875"
LCD Display Flush-Mount Bracket:
- Width = 4.875"
- Height = 2.5625"
- Depth = 0.9375"
- Width = 4.145"
- Height = 1.815"
- Depth = 0.875"
Rotary Control Dial:
- Width = 2.365"
- Height = 2.635"
- Depth = 1.765"
Hide-Away Connection Module:
- Width = 6.875"
- Height = 1.25"
- Depth = 5.795"