Our take on the Advanced Home Studio Starter Kit
Pro-quality recording aspirations? Begin here
This bundle turns your computer or iPad into a recording studio with room to grow. It's built around the flexible Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB 2.0 recording interface. Use the supplied MXL microphones to record yourself or separate tracks right away, but later take advantage of the interface's 18 total inputs to capture your entire band playing together. The versatile Scarlett 18i8 is great for creating simple demos, but can also be used to produce professional sounding recordings. To get started, connect it to your desktop or laptop computer via USB 2.0, or plug into your iPad® using the Apple® Camera Connection Kit (not included). Two powered JBL LSR305s are also included for accurately monitoring your tracks and mixes.
This home studio starter kit includes these components (plus cables and a mic stand):
Each piece chosen with a purpose
We've taken the guesswork out of putting together a home recording system. Each item in this bundle has been selected with regard toward value, performance, and how well the pieces work with one another. Here's what you get:
A desktop USB 2.0 interface: Among the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8's 18 inputs are four front-panel mic preamps with Neutrik Combo® connections that accept both XLR and 1/4" line-level signals. All four preamps use a high-quality, low-noise Focusrite design, offering clean sound with plenty of dynamic punch. The Scarlett 18i8 includes Ableton Live Lite recording software, but it is also compatible with most digital audio workstations.
Two matched condenser microphones: The MXL 440 and MXL 441 package comes with a protective carrying case. The large-diaphragm MXL 440 does a great job with vocals and acoustic instruments in a studio setting. The smaller MXL 441 can handle higher sound pressure levels, ideal for recording acoustic or electric instruments.
A matched pair of 2-way powered studio monitors: Two JBL LSR305s are included in this bundle. JBL monitors have been used in major recording studios for decades, and that experience shows here. Using separate 42-watt Class D amplifiers to drive the 5" woofer and the 1" tweeter, the LSR305 delivers the balanced, accurate sound you need for perfecting your mix.
Two 6 foot balanced line cables: The RapcoHorizon Concert Series with 1/4" TRS connectors, used for connecting the monitors.
Two 10 foot microphone cables: The RapcoHorizon M1 Series with Neutrik® XLR connectors.
One tripod microphone stand: The sturdy, longtime studio standard K&M 210/2
Prepared for the future
This system gives you major flexibility as your recording ambitions grow. Scarlett MixControl software is on-board, which lets you create up to eight mono or four stereo mixes. The Scarlett 18i8's front panel Neutrik Combo inputs accept dynamic or condenser mics, drum machines, and keyboards. Inputs 1 and 2 can also be switched to a high-Z instrument input, so you can directly connect your electric guitar or bass. There are even more connections on the back, including optical and MIDI. An impressive 18-channel total input capability lets you mike an entire band, from vocals and guitars, to keyboards and drum kits.
Check out the "Accessories" tab for cables, controllers, headphones, and other products that will help expand your home studio.
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 recording interface:
- computer audio interface with 18 input and 8 output channels for PC, Mac, or iPad (requires Apple's Camera Connection Kit for use with iPad)
- includes Ableton Live Lite digital recording software along with Scarlett Plug-in Suite
- accepts mic, instrument, line-level, MIDI, ADAT, and S/PDIF signals
- 4 high-quality Focusrite mic preamps with 48V phantom power offer low-noise, high-headroom performance
- Scarlett MixControl DSP mixing software offers fully assignable 18-in/8-out routing and low-latency direct monitoring
- optical digital input allows up to eight channels of ADAT signals with external mic preamps and recorders
- volume knob with mute button for the JBL studio monitors
- compact, durable metal chassis
- 8-15/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 7-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
MXL matched condenser microphone package:
- one MXL 440, a large-diaphragm condenser microphone for vocal and instrumental studio recording
- one MXL 441, a smaller condenser microphone for instrumental studio recordings and overhead drum kit miking
- cardioid polar patterns
- hard mic stand adapter included for both mics
- rugged carrying case
- warranty: 1 year
JBL LSR305 powered studio monitors (pair)
- frequency response: 43-24,000 Hz
- separate 42-watt Class D amps power woofer and tweeter in bi-amped design
- 5" long-throw woofer and 1" soft dome damped woven composite neodymium tweeter
- peak SPL: 108 dB
- JBL's patented Slip Stream™ low frequency port design
- 7-5/16"W x 11-3/4"H x 9-7/8"D
- warranty: 5 years parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee