Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
If you're a fan of indoor sports, theater, or portrait photography, check out Tamron's powerful 70-200mm zoom lens. It gives you versatile telephoto shooting and superior light gathering for better pictures using only available light. Unlike many lenses whose aperture and brightness decrease as you zoom closer to your subject, this Tamron features a large maximum aperture of f/2.8 which remains constant throughout the zoom range. That means your images stay bright as you zero in, and your exposure values remain unchanged (a very handy feature when shooting manually).
Great portraits and closeups
This lens' large aperture and focal range also make it ideal for capturing stunning portraits. You can softly blur unnecessary background details, while making your crisply focused subject pop from the photo. It also offers an extra-close focusing distance and macro magnification for capturing excellent closeups.
Read our blog post about Tamron's 70-200mm f/2.8 helps you see the light.
Need a case for your camera's lens? Check out Tamrac's lens compatibility chart to find a case that fits (requires Adobe® Reader®).
- 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD Tamron zoom lens (A001)
- effective focal length:
- 70-200mm with 35mm film or full-frame digital cameras
- 109-310mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- compatible with Canon digital and autofocus film SLR cameras
- 3 low-dispersion glass elements for superior image quality
- internal focusing design maintains constant lens length for better balance and easier operation
- minimum focus distance: 37-7/16" (throughout zoom range)
- minimum aperture: f/32
- lens construction: 18 elements in 13 groups
- attachment/filter diameter: 77mm
- lens is 3-9/16" in diameter, 8-1/16" long
- 40.6 ounces without tripod mount
- 46.8 ounces with tripod mount
- warranty: 6 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- detachable tripod mount
- lens hood
- padded nylon carry bag
- front and rear lens caps
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di Zoom Lens Reviews
Average Customer Review:
With the arrival of the Tamron 70-200 lens it was put to the test that evening at a local gym. This lighting at this gym is above normal for a High School. The Tamron lens fast reaction speed soon proved to meet all of my needs. The only draw back is that is over kill and I am not allowed that close up shot near the basket, but it covers the entire gym. I am now allowed to extend the numbers of sellable pictures three times from my past abilities. The pictures are much clearer in the newspaper and in pictures as well. I highly recommend this lens to anyone.
What's in the box?
- AF 70-200mm F/2.8 LD (IF) Macro lens for Canon digital SLR cameras
- Lens cap (installed)
- Rear dust cap (installed)
- Tripod mount (installed)
- Lens hood
- Nylon carrying bag
- Owner's Manual (Eng/Span/Fren/Ger/+ 4 other languages)
- "Cautions when using Tamron lenses" sheet
- "Attaching and removing the lens (Canon)" sheet
- Warranty card
- Serial/model number sheet
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||6 Years|
|Labor Warranty||6 Years|
Overview: The Tamron AF 70-200mm F/2.8 LD (IF) tele-Zoom/Macro Lens (Model A001E) is an accessory lens, specifically designed for use with Canon digital SLR and 35mm cameras. It has the standard Canon bayonet-type mount. This tele-zoom lens covers a desirable focal length range of 70mm medium telephoto to 200mm telephoto when mounted on full-size format SLR cameras and a focal length range from 109mm to 310mm ultra telephoto when mounted on a DSLR camera with an APS-C sized imager.
Zoom: This 70-200mm lens has an 1.55x zoom capability. When converted to the 35mm film format, the zoom yields the equivalent of a 109-310mm zoom range.
Di: Tamron Di (Digitally Integrated Design) is a designation Tamron puts on lenses featuring optical system designed to meet the performance characteristics of digital SLR cameras as well as film cameras.
Optical Features: This lens has the following optical features:
- Low Dispersion Glass (LD): The use of Low Dispersion (LD) glass elements greatly reduces the effect of chromatic aberration, a form of optical noise, and dramatically increases image sharpness.
- Internal Focusing (IF): Tamron's Internal Focusing System enhances lens maneuverability and reduces the Minimum Focus Distance (M.F.D.) throughout its entire focal length.
Lens Hood: A bayonet-type lens hood is provided with the lens. The lens hood prevents stray light from entering the lens, which can be harmful to the picture. When not in use, the lens hood can be inverted and stored on the lens. The lens hood adds approximately 3.75" length to the lens. Note: Using the camera's built-in flash with the lens hood in place can cause shadows to appear on the image.
Focus Modes: The lens can be used in either Automatic or Manual Focus modes. When you switch to manual focus (using the switch located on the lens barrel), you can focus on your subject by rotating the focus ring on the lens.
Manual Zoom: You can manually zoom in or out by rotating the zooming ring of the lens while viewing your subject through the camera's viewfinder and compose your image at the chosen focal length.
- Focal Length: 70-200mm
- Maximum Aperture: F/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: F/32
- Angle of View: 34° 21' - 12° 21'
- Lens Construction: 13 groups/18 elements
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 3.1' (0.95 meters)
- Maximum Magnification Ratio: 1:3.1 (at f=200mm MFD 0.95m)
- Filter Size: 77mm
- Length: 8.065"
- Diameter: 3.525"
- Weight: 40.6 oz