Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Tamron's sharp 17-50mm zoom lens gives you versatile wide-angle shooting and superior light gathering for non-flash photography. Unlike many lenses whose aperture and brightness decrease as you zoom closer to your subject, this Tamron features a large maximum aperture of f/2.8 which remains constant throughout the zoom range. That means your images stay bright as you zero in, and your exposure values remain unchanged a very handy feature when shooting manually. This lens makes an excellent replacement for the kit lenses that frequently come supplied with many digital SLRs.
Great wide-angle and closeup shooting
The focal range and large aperture of this lens also make it ideal for indoor photography, and for capturing full-length people shots or an entire building in a single frame. For portraits, you can softly blur unnecessary background details while making your crisply focused subject pop from the photo. It also offers an extra-close focusing distance for capturing detailed closeups.
Optimized for digital SLRs
Tamron's Di II series lenses are engineered exclusively for digital cameras, and boast internal surface coatings designed to eliminate ghosting and flare. The compact design features specialized lens elements for superior optical performance. And the supplied lens hood (not pictured) allows better shooting in bright light.
Read more about this lens in our blog post Two Tamron lenses that could replace your kit lens.
Need a case for your camera's lens? Check out Tamrac's lens compatibility chart to find a case that fits (requires Adobe® Reader®).
- 17-50mm f/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron zoom lens (A16E)
- 35mm equivalent focal length of 26-78mm
- compatible only with Canon digital SLR cameras with APS-C (24mm x 16mm or smaller) image sensors not compatible with the Canon EOS 5D or EOS 5D MkII full-frame sensor models
- advanced optical design with low-dispersion, hybrid aspherical, and extra refractive index glass elements for superior image quality
- internal focusing design maintains constant lens length for better balance and easier operation
- special internal surface coatings to eliminate ghosting and flare
- minimum focus distance: 10.6 inches (throughout zoom range)
- minimum aperture: f/32
- lens construction: 16 elements in 13 groups
- diaphragm blades: 7
- attachment/filter size: 67mm
- lens is 2-15/16" in diameter, 3-5/16" long
- weight: 15.2 oz.
- warranty: 6 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII Zoom Lens Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This is absolutely one of the best lenses I have ever used. It is incredibly sharp, so much so that the last batch of pictures I processed did not need sharpening before sending them off to get printed. It focuses very well, even in low light and does well even with auto focus in low light situations. If you need an excellent lens and don't have the money for the Canon with the IS, this is the way to go. My next lens will be Tamron.
What's in the box?
- AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR zoom lens for Canon digital SLR cameras
- Lens cap (installed)
- Rear dust cap (installed)
- Lens hood
- Owner's Manual (Eng / Span / Fren / Ger / + 4 other languages)
- "Cautions when using Tamron lenses" sheet
- "Suggestions for better pictures with Tamron zoom lenses" sheet
- Serial/model number sheet
Features and Specs
|Weight||15.2 oz (430g)|
|Parts Warranty||6 Years|
|Labor Warranty||6 Years|
Overview: The Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR LD Aspherical IF (Model A16E) is an accessory lens, specifically designed for use with Canon digital SLR cameras. It has the standard Canon EF mount.
Compatibility: This lens is compatible with Canon digital SLR cameras.
Zoom: This 17-50mm lens has a 3x zoom capability. When converted to the 35mm film format, the zoom yields the equivalent of a 26-78mm zoom range.
SP-Series Lens: Tamron's SP (Super Performance) series is a line of high performance lenses with high design specifications. This series of lenses featuring impressive and innovative design are concept models among Tamron lenses.
Di II: Tamron Di II lenses are designed to fit digital SLR cameras with smaller-size image sensors. This series of lenses should not be used on 35mm film format cameras and digital SLR cameras with image sensors larger than 24mm x 16mm. When used on film cameras and digital cameras with larger sensors, vignetting (or darkening of the corners of the image) occurs.
Optical Features: This lens has the following optical features:
- Anomalous Dispersion Glass (AD): Anomalous Dispersion glass is a special optical glass that, when combined with normal glass elements, allows the lens to provide unparalleled optical quality while eliminating chromatic aberrations that can denigrate image contrast and sharpness.
- Aspherical Elements (ASL): The use of Tamron's exclusive Hybrid Aspherical elements provides the ultimate in compactness and image quality.
- Low Dispersion Glass (LD): The use of Low Dispersion (LD) glass elements greatly reduces the effect of chromatic aberration, a form of optical noise, and dramatically increases image sharpness.
- Internal Focusing (IF): Tamron's Internal Focusing System enhances lens maneuverability and reduces the Minimum Focus Distance (M.F.D.) throughout its entire focal length.
- Extra Refractive Glass (XR): Through the innovative use of XR (Extra Refractive Index) glass, the overall size (diameter and barrel length) of the lens was reduced, while maintaining the same aperture values as previous lenses.
Lens Hood: A bayonet-type lens hood is provided with the lens. The lens hood prevents stray light from entering the lens, which can be harmful to the picture. When not in use, the lens hood can be inverted and stored on the lens. The lens hood adds approximately 1-1/2" length to the lens. Note: Using the camera's built-in flash with the lens hood in place can cause shadows to appear on the image.
Focus Modes: The lens can be used in either Automatic or Manual Focus modes. When you switch the camera to manual focus, you can focus on your subject by rotating the focus ring on the lens.
Manual Zoom: You can manually zoom in or out by rotating the zooming ring of the lens while viewing your subject through the camera's viewfinder and compose your image at the chosen focal length.
- Focal Length: 17-50mm
- Maximum Aperture: F/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: F/32
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 78˚45' - 31˚11'
- Horizontal: 68˚37' - 26˚7'
- Vertical: 49˚1' - 17˚22'
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 13 groups
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 10.6" (0.27 meters) across the entire zoom range
- Macro Magnification Ratio: 1:4.5 (at f=50mm MFD 0.27m)
- Filter Size: 67mm
- Length: 3.595"-4.689" (w/ lens caps 4.122"-5.213")
- Diameter: 2.865"
- Weight: 15.2 ounces (430 grams)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.