Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Tamron's sharp 28-75mm zoom lens gives you a versatile focal range and superior light gathering for non-flash photography. Unlike many lenses whose aperture and brightness decrease as you zoom closer to your subject, this Tamron features a large maximum aperture of f/2.8 which remains constant throughout the zoom range. That means your images stay bright as you zero in, and your exposure values remain unchanged a very handy feature when shooting manually. This lens makes an excellent replacement for the kit lenses that frequently come supplied with many digital SLRs.
Great mid-distance and closeup shooting
The focal range and large aperture of this lens make it ideal for indoor photography and mid-range telephoto shooting. And it's great for portraits you can softly blur unnecessary background details while making your crisply focused subject pop from the photo. It also offers an extra-close focusing distance for capturing detailed closeups.
Optimized for digital SLRs
Tamron's Di series lenses are optimized for digital cameras, and boast internal surface coatings designed to eliminate ghosting and flare. The compact design features specialized lens elements for superior optical performance. And the supplied lens hood (not pictured) allows better shooting in bright light.
Read more about this lens in our blog post Two Tamron lenses that could replace your kit lens.
Need a case for your camera's lens? Check out Tamrac's lens compatibility chart to find a case that fits (requires Adobe® Reader®).
- 28-75mm f/2.8 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron zoom lens (A09E)
- effective focal length:
- 28-75mm with 35mm film or full-frame sensor digital cameras
- 45-120mm with APS-C sensor Canon cameras
- compatible with Canon digital and autofocus film SLR cameras
- advanced optical design with low-dispersion, aspherical, and extra refractive index glass elements for superior image quality
- internal focusing design maintains constant lens length for better balance and easier operation
- special internal surface coatings to eliminate ghosting and flare
- minimum focus distance: 13 inches (throughout zoom range)
- minimum aperture: f/32
- lens construction: 16 elements in 14 groups
- diaphragm blades: 7
- attachment/filter size: 67mm
- lens is 2-15/16" in diameter, 3-5/16" long
- weight: 18 oz.
- warranty: 6 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 Di Zoom Lens Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great everyday lens
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I was worried at first about getting a non-Canon lense. I am very pleased to be wrong.
The first thing you notice is the weight. This thing has a lot of glass, and because it is heavy, some of the smaller APS-C bodies may not feel comfortable once mounted. But if you have a bigger body camera (5D, 10D, etc...), it works very well.
The color reproduction is excellent. The f2.8 lets in a lot of light, and there is a more realistic look to the colors. Barrel distortion is very minimal at full focal length, so it's not really an issue.
The auto focus, however, is a bit to be desired. It tends to focus on the 7 point area, rather than the center of the object. Not a big deal if you can change the camera setting. But the nice side is the depth of field is amazing. It's not a fast auto, but it does the job. Just don't expect USM results.
For all of those suffering with the kit lense, get this. It out performs it, and some "L" glass as well (rated higher than the Canon 17-40L by some).
What's in the box?
- SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di lens for Canon (Model A09E)
- Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Lens hood
- Owner's Manual (Eng/Span/Fren/Ger/+ 4 other languages)
- "Cautions when using Tamron lenses" sheet
- Serial/model number sheet
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||6 Years|
|Labor Warranty||6 Years|
Overview: The Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di (Model A09E) is an accessory lens, specifically designed for use with Canon digital SLR cameras. It has the standard Canon EF mount.
SP-Series Lens: Tamron's SP (Super Performance) series is a line of high performance lenses with high design specifications. This series of lenses featuring impressive and innovative design are concept models among Tamron lenses.
Di Lenses: Tamron Di (Digitally Integrated Design) lenses are designed to fit the characteristics of digital cameras as well as film cameras by paying attention to countermeasures against ghosting and flare through such advances as special coatings.
F/2.8 Fast Zoom: The lens' F2.8 maximum aperture remains constant throughout the zoom range, even at telephoto. This allows the use of the same high shutter speed, even when the lens is zoomed to prevent camera shake and freeze motion.
Optical Features: This lens has the following optical features:
- Aspherical Elements (ASL): The use of Tamron's exclusive Hybrid Aspherical elements provides the ultimate in compactness and image quality.
- Low Dispersion Glass (LD): The use of Low Dispersion (LD) glass elements greatly reduces the effect of chromatic aberration, a form of optical noise, and dramatically increases image sharpness.
- Internal Focusing (IF): Tamron's Internal Focusing System enhances lens maneuverability and reduces the Minimum Focus Distance (M.F.D.) throughout its entire focal length.
- Extra Refractive Glass (XR): Through the innovative use of XR (Extra Refractive Index) glass, the overall size (diameter and barrel length) of the lens was reduced, while maintaining the same aperture values as previous lenses.
Lens Hood: A bayonet-type lens hood is provided with the lens. The lens hood prevents stray light from entering the lens, which can be harmful to the picture. When not in use, the lens hood can be inverted and stored on the lens. The lens hood adds approximately 1-1/2" length to the lens. Note: Using the camera's built-in flash with the lens hood in place can cause shadows to appear on the image.
Focus Modes: The lens can be used in either Automatic or Manual Focus modes. When you switch the camera to manual focus, you can focus on your subject by rotating the focus ring on the lens.
Manual Zoom: You can manually zoom in or out by rotating the zooming ring of the lens while viewing your subject through the camera's viewfinder and compose your image at the chosen focal length.
- Focal Length: 28-75mm
- Maximum Aperture: F/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: F/32
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 75˚23' - 32˚11'
- Horizontal: 65˚28' - 26˚59'
- Vertical: 46˚15' - 18˚7'
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 14 groups
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 13" (0.33 meters) across the entire zoom range
- Macro Magnification Ratio: 1:3.9 (at 75mm)
- Filter Size: 67mm
- Length: 3.951"-5.259" (w/ lens caps 4.122"-5.213")
- Diameter: 2.871"
- Weight: 18 ounces (510 grams)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.