Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Get ready for some serious bass impact. The flagship Klipsch® RT-12d rolls advanced technology, high-end materials, and rock-solid construction into one impressive subwoofer. It boasts a monstrous 800-watt amplifier and an ultra-high-excursion 12" woofer designed for quick, precise movement. Two 12" passive radiators boost efficiency for bass you can feel as well as hear. The RT-12d's triangular shape makes it ideal for corner placement and allows one passive radiator to face each wall for maximum output. And the real wood veneer finish guarantees the RT-12d looks as good as it sounds.
Automatic equalization tailors the bass to your room
The RT-12d's built-in room calibration gives you hassle-free setup. Just connect the included microphone and push a button on the control panel. The subwoofer then plays a series of tones and automatically equalizes its output for the best results in your room.
Manual controls and user-defined presets
Top-mounted controls with an easy-to-read LCD display make it simple to make manual adjustments to volume, crossover, and more. You can also select from three preset equalization curves to find just the right amount of "oomph" for your music and movies. Plus, you can adjust the subwoofer's settings to fit your personal tastes, then save them into one of five presets you can recall at any time.
- bass-reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- 800-watt RMS digital hybrid amplifier
- 12" front-firing Cerametallic driver
- dual 12" rear-firing Cerametallic passive radiators
- 3 equalization modes (Punch, Depth, and Flat)
- 5 user-defined preset modes (Movie, Music, Night, User 1, and User 2)
- automatic room calibration with included microphone
- back-panel IR sensor for use with remote control extender systems
- frequency response 19-120 Hz (±3dB)
- variable 40-120 Hz crossover with adjustable slope
- phase adjustment
- auto on/off
- line-level/LFE (low frequency effects) inputs
- line-level outputs
- USB port for control from compatible A/V control systems
- real wood veneer finish
- 24"W x 18-3/4"H x 23-5/16"D
- warranty: 5 years woofer, 2 years amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why add a powered subwoofer?
A powered subwoofer gives you bass you can feel as well as hear. Our customers love the depth and impact their subs add to music and movies. We hear comments like "it brings out sounds I didn't know existed in discs I've watched a million times." Powered subwoofers aren't just for big bass that rattles your picture frames; they can also deliver tight, accurate lows. If you haven't shopped for a powered sub in a while, you might be surprised at how small they get. Look for an ultra-compact model if you want to tuck your sub away under an end table or in a corner.
Klipsch Reference Series RT-12d Reviews
What's in the box?
- Cherry powered subwoofer
- 3 Grilles (installed)
- ARC-M1 microphone with 25' cable attached
- 94" AC power cord
- Owner's manual (English/ French/ German/ Italian/ Portuguese/ Spanish/ Chinese/ Japanese)
- Product registration card
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120 Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||800|
|Frequency Response||19-120 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Yrs/ 2 Yrs Amp|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Yrs/ 2 Yrs Amp|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||---|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||---|
Dynamic Power: The RT-12d's amplifier is rated at 800 watts RMS and 2000 watts dynamic power. The dynamic power rating indicates the power the amplifier will deliver to the woofer under normal operating conditions for a subwoofer. While the RMS power rating indicates power available on a continuous, long-term basis, subwoofers rely on large, short-term peaks of power to to support the wide dynamics required by today's digital music formats and movie soundtracks. Therefore the dynamic power rating can be used as an indication of a subwoofer's real-world performance.
Passive Radiator Design: Featuring a triangular-shape, the RT-12d has a front firing 12-inch Cerametallic driver and two 12-inch rear-firing Cerametallic passive radiators. The unique enclosure fits nicely into a corner; the driver faces the room, and the passive radiators face both walls of the corner, for maximum output.
Room Correction: The RT series of powered subwoofers feature Adaptive Room Correction. This patent pending technology uses the included microphone to identify the acoustic anomalies in the low frequency range of your listening room's acoustics and compensate for them automatically. While the corrected response may at first sound like a reduction in bass quantity, the benefit is a higher quality bass reproduction featuring audibly faster transient response and more noticeable extension of extremely low frequency program material.
Cerametallic Woofer: The 12-inch woofer and two 12-inch passive radiators feature Klipsch's distinctive, copper-colored Cerametallic material. Made with an anodized aluminum, the cone is strong and dent resistant. The anodizing process converts its inner and outer surfaces to ceramic. The outcome is a rigid cone with superb damping characteristics that will not flex or resonate at frequencies within the woofer's operating range.
DCS Digital User-Interface: With the exception of the master power switch, all functions are adjusted using the DCS (Digitally Controlled Subwoofer) digital user-interface on the top of the sub:
- Volume: adjust the subwoofer volume relative to the rest of the system
- Recall Settings: recall one of five user defined settings; Movie, Music, Night, User 1, and User 2
- EQ Mode: choose between Flat, Punch (emphasizing the 55 Hz region), and Depth (boosts the 30 Hz region)
- Room Correction: the room correction compensation can be turned on or off
- Low-Pass: adjust the crossover from 40 Hz to 120 Hz in 1 Hz steps; the crossover can also be bypassed, useful for an LFE signal that's already crossed over
- Slope: the crossover slope can be set to 18, 24, 36, or 48 dB/octave
- Phase: adjust the phase from 0° to 180° in 1° steps
- Brightness: set the display brightness to one of four settings
- Power: choose Auto On or Always On; the Auto-On Circuit turns the amplifier on when an audio signal is detected and off after approximately 20 minutes with no input signal; the master power switch on the back panel overrides this setting
- Play Demo: two 12-second demonstration tracks are factory loaded into the subwoofer for use during room setup
- Keypad Lock: the keypad can be locked to prevent any accidental changes
- System Info:
IR Sensor: An infrared remote sensor on the rear panel allows integration with universal control systems. The RT-12d IR codes can be found on Klipsch's web site.
Preamp: The left and right line-level jacks are used to connect the subwoofer to a pre-amp, signal processor, line-level crossover, or receiver. A pair of line-level outputs offers an easy way to connect a second subwoofer. The line output is affected by the volume, crossover, and room correction settings.
Mic In: The included microphone plugs in here during room correction setup.
USB: The USB computer interface allows access to additional advanced features within the subwoofers room correction software. Optional, proprietary Klipsch software and a higher level of technical knowledge are required to correctly utilize this capability. This port can also function as an alternative control interface with A/V Control systems that can utilize a USB connection.
Amplifier: The warranty on the amplifier is 2 years parts and labor.
Driver: The warranty on the driver is 5 years parts and labor.