Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Want to reduce your household's energy consumption? The PowerCost Monitor lets you wirelessly track how much electricity you're using. It's a great solution for folks looking to save money on their next power bill, or reduce greenhouse gas emissions. An easy-to-read countertop display gives you real-time consumption data, in dollars and in kilowatt hours, so you can make smart, informed decisions about energy use in your home. The system's wireless sensor attaches to the outside of your electric utility meter it's compatible with approximately 90% of the meters in use today.
Monitor your whole house, or individual appliances
Say you wanted to know how much you'd save by investing in a new energy-efficient washing machine. Just press the "appliance" button when your current washer isn't running. Once the PowerCost has a baseline, start a load of laundry. You'll see the washer's impact in dollars or kilowatt hours on the PowerCost's display, giving you the info you need to find out how much money an energy-efficient washer will save you over time.
- wirelessly monitor your home's energy consumption
- see real-time data in dollars and kilowatt hours, including moment-to-moment consumption as well as cumulative totals
- track power consumption of individual appliances
- view estimated energy consumption over the next 30 days, based on your previous consumption
- includes two components
- sensor unit: attaches to the outside of your electric utility meter compatible with approximately 90% of the meters on the market
- power monitor: displays consumption information; works up to 100 feet away from sensor unit
- power monitor requires two AA batteries (not included)
- Note: "Total" readings will not exactly match your electricity bill, due to factors such as when your power company checks your utility meter, as well as other utility charges.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Blue Line BLI 28000 PowerCost Monitor Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Worked Great Till The Power Company Went Digital
I used this product and it worked great right up to when the power company changed the type of meter they use to digital ones that automatically send data over the air to collect your useage which eliminates meter readers but also eliminates the spinning wheel that this product uses to pickup its signal, had mine in use for over a year until the switch over, now for some odd reason my electric bil is higher than it was Hummmm
[Editor's Note: The PowerCost Monitor is compatible with 90% of meters used by utilities throughout North America including most digital meters.]
What's in the box?
- Display unit
- Sensor unit
- Clamping strap
- 4 "AA" batteries
- Rubber shim
- Clear alignment template
- User Guide (Eng)
- User Guide (Fre)
- Installation Guide (Eng)
- Installation Guide (Fre)
Overview: The Blue Line PowerCost Monitor (BLI-28000) is an easy-to-use and easy-to-install home electricity monitoring system that gives you and your family, real time feedback on how you are consuming electricity in your home. It can tell you at a glance how much electricity you are consuming in total at any particular time. The Blue Line PowerCost Monitor consists of a Display unit which is mounted inside the house and a sensor unit which is installed to your home's outdoor power meter. The PowerCost Monitor uses a unique sensor technology that scans your power meter's activity and calculates your home electricity usage. This information is transmitted wirelessly to an easy-to-read home power usage display. You simply enter your utility's electricity rate in to the display; install the sensor on your meter (both are cordless and wireless) and start seeing your power usage in real time - in dollars and cents as well as in kilowatt hours.
Note: The PowerCost Monitor is not a utility meter and is not intended for billing purposes. Data displayed is for informational purposes only. Due to when your meter is read by your utility and due to other utility charges, the "total" readings on your display will not exactly match what you see on your electricity bill.
Meter Compatibility: The Blue Line Power Cost Monitor is compatible with approximately 90% of the meters (including digital) in use today.
- CENTRON by Itron/Schlumberger I-210 and I-210+by GE
- iCon by Sensus
- R1S and R2S by Elster (Sometimes called REX1 or REX2)
- Echelon EM-502xx -Series "NES - Solid State Watt Hour Meter" Disk meters with Black mark clearly visible
- Non-Supported Meters:
- FOCUS by Landis & Gyr (Triangular port at the 3:00 position)
- Schlumberger MT100/200 Hybrids
- A1T+ A1R+ and A3TL by Elster or ABB(Alpha)
- GE Kv2 Series
- GE TM-900 Hybrid(Disk behind Digital Plate)
- Altimus by Siemens and Landis & Gyr
- ASX/RSX by Landis & Gyr
- Disk meters with plates covering the disk and black mark
- Net Metering (Disk spinning in both Directions or digitals meters displaying bi-directional amounts)
Sensor Unit: The Sensor Unit attaches easily to the outside of your electric utility meter. Once fastened in place, the special sensor reads your home electricity usage in real-time and transmits the information wirelessly (up to 100') to the power usage monitor, located inside your home.
Note: The Sensor Unit operates off of two "AA" batteries (included).
Display Unit: The PowerCost Monitor features a large, attractive, counter-top Display Unit that looks like a small electric clock. At the push of a button the PowerCost Monitor displays, your moment-to-moment and total electricity costs in dollars and cents and in kilowatt hours. The PowerCost Monitor can even predict how much money your electricity bill will be for that month based on your immediate electricity usage. The device will also show your peak energy cost within the last 24 hours; so you know when you are using the most energy. The product also displays the current time and outside temperature and has a battery indicator that lets you know when your battery power is low and a signal indicator lets you know the strength of the signal being received from the Sensor Unit.
Note: The Display Unit operates off of two "AA" batteries (included).
Real-Time Information: The PowerCost Monitor's displays your current and total electricity usage in dollars and cents as well as kilowatt hours; it also displays the current time and the temperature at the meter location. With the PowerCost Monitor you will see the following in real-time.
- The amount of electricity your home is using at any one time.
- The cost of your electricity usage per hour at any time.
- The impact of changing your power usage, in real-time.
- The electricity cost to use different appliances like the TV, stove, microwave, Dryer, and AC.
- How changing your electricity use can save money, and hoe much.
Appliance Tab: The APPL button allows you to measure how much electricity is consumed by a single appliance. Pressing the appliance function on the device will zero out your current energy consumption readings, creating a baseline measure of your power usage at that time - so you can tell much energy a certain appliance uses. You simply turn on or off an appliance or fixture(s) and the PowerCost Monitor will report the $ or kW impact of that change. This feature makes it easy to see how your energy usage habits can turn into energy saving habits.
Predictive Feature: This feature will provide the you, based on actual energy consumption from the last reset, with an estimate of the 30-Day energy consumption totals in $'s or kW's. This allows you to get an early read on expected 30-Day costs or more fully understanding the positive impact of energy consumption behavior changes in the home.
Sleep Function: The PowerCost Monitor has a sleep function that prolongs battery life. Should the monitor and the sensor lose connectivity the monitor will go into sleep mode; pressing any button on the monitor will bring the monitor back to ready mode.
Expanded kH Factor Capability: The BLI-28000 monitor can accommodate kH factors of 0.1 to 99 and thus insure compatibility with high load service homes in North America.
- Display Unit: Two AA Alkaline batteries (LR6 or equivalent)
- Sensor Unit: Two AA Alkaline batteries (LR6 or equivalent); Two AA Lithium batteries for temperatures below -20°C
- Frequency: 433.92 MHz
- Update Rate: Approximately every 30 seconds
- Range: Up to 30m (100') line-of-sight (subtract 5m or 15' for each wall between Display and Sensor Units)
Operating Temperature Range:
- Display Unit: 10°C to 40°C (50°F to 104°F) - for indoor use only
- Sensor Unit: -40°C to 60°C (-40°F to 140°F)
- Display Unit: 2,000 meters maximum
- Display Unit: 80% for temperatures up to 31°C decreasing linearly to 50% at 40°C
- Display Unit: Pollution Degree 2
- Width = 3.5"
- Height = 7.25"
- Depth = 2.25"
- Width = 4.8125"
- Height = 4.125"
- Depth = 3.75"