Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Deep bass and easy access to controls
Are you looking to add some extra bass excitement to your system? The SubSeries 1 is guaranteed to dish out low, loud, and musically lifelike bass whenever your music and movies demand it. Feel the rumble of explosions in Hollywood blockbusters, hear the crowds roar when you score a goal in your favorite video games, or relax to the taut, tuneful lows of an upright bass from a classic jazz number.
It's all thanks to this sub's 8" woofer cone, which is designed to pump out quick, controlled, lifelike bass. It's backed by 110 watts of continuous power courtesy of the sub's built-in amplifier. Plus, the front-mounted controls make it simple to adjust the volume and crossover frequency, so you can get the best performance in your room.
- frequency response 36-150 Hz (±3dB)
- built-in amplifier delivers 110 watts of continuous power, 280 watts dynamic peak power
- continuously variable low-pass 50-150 Hz crossover
- 8" polypropylene woofer cone
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- front-mounted volume and crossover
- rear-mounted phase switch and auto on/off
- line-level/LFE and speaker-level inputs
- black ash finish
- 9-5/8"W x 14-1/8"H x 17-1/2"D
- weight: 23.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years subwoofer, 1 year amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why add a powered subwoofer?
A powered subwoofer gives you bass you can feel as well as hear. Our customers love the depth and impact their subs add to music and movies. We hear comments like "it brings out sounds I didn't know existed in discs I've watched a million times." Powered subwoofers aren't just for big bass that rattles your picture frames; they can also deliver tight, accurate lows. If you haven't shopped for a powered sub in a while, you might be surprised at how small they get. Look for an ultra-compact model if you want to tuck your sub away under an end table or in a corner.
PSB SubSeries 1 Reviews
What's in the box?
- Powered subwoofer
- 8.25' AC power cord (IEC 2-prong type)
- Owner's Guide (Eng / Fre / Span)
- Limited Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||110|
|Frequency Response||36-150 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The PSB Speakers SubSeries 1 is a powered subwoofer, featuring a front-firing 8" polypropylene cone woofer with a rubber surround. The woofer is driven by a 110-watt RMS (140 watts dynamic, 280 watts peak), Class AB amplifier. The SubSeries 1 has a front-firing 1" x 8" slot port, a textured black vinyl finish, and a removable black aluminum grille. The subwoofer is magnetically shielded, so it can be placed near CRT-type TVs without causing picture interference.
Auto Power Mode: The subwoofer features a main power switch on the back panel. When switched to On, the subwoofer is initially in stand-by mode, awaiting the presence of an audio signal. When the signal is received, the subwoofer turns on automatically. When no signal is detected, the sub's amp will automatically turn off after approximately 15 minutes. In the Off position, the subwoofer will not power up. A green LED, located on the front panel between the control knobs, will glow when the subwoofer is active.
Control Knobs: Two rotary control knobs are provided on the front of the subwoofer. One controls the output level of the subwoofer, relative to the volume of the other speakers in the system. The other control adjusts the high-frequency roll-off of signals sent to the subwoofer. The control is continuously variable from 50 Hz to 150 Hz, and allows you to precisely match the subwoofer's bass production with the main left and right stereo speakers.
Phase Control: The phase switch allows for the adjustment of the phase of the subwoofer in relation to the speakers used in the system, either 0 or 180 degrees.
Inputs: The SubSeries 1 can be connected by the following methods:
- Low Level Input: Two gold-plated RCA jacks are provided for connecting your receiver via the low-level input. You can use a single RCA cable to connect the Subwoofer or LFE (low frequency effects) Output from your receiver, preamplifier, or integrated amp. Either the left or right channel inputs can be used. Since most subwoofer/LFE outputs are filtered by most receivers/processors, the subwoofer's variable low-pass filter is usually not required and should be bypassed. This is done by placing the crossover switch to the External Crossover (LFE Input) position. If your receiver or integrated amplifier has preamp outputs, or if you are using a preamplifier without a designated subwoofer/LFE output, the preferred connection is to use a stereo RCA cable plugged into both left and right inputs. If the preamp outputs are unfiltered, the subwoofer's internal crossover should be used and the switch placed in the "Internal Crossover" position.
- Speaker Level In: Two pairs of 5-way binding post terminals (for left and right channel) are provided for connecting the sub with speaker wire. The terminals will accept bare wire, spade lugs, pin connectors, and single or dual banana plugs. The plastic inserts must first be removed from the terminals before using banana plugs. Speaker wires can also be run from the subwoofer directly to the main speakers, eliminating the need to run wires from the receiver or amplifier to the main speakers.
Power Cord: The subwoofer has a removable power cord with an IEC 2-pronged connector. This allows you to use a third-party IEC-type power cord, if desired.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.