Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Experience tight, punchy bass in your home theater
PSB designed the SubSeries 5i to deliver great bass in any small-to-medium room. They carefully designed the 10" woofer and paired it with a 150-watt internal amplifier. The result is extremely tight bass that delivers the punch that high performance home theaters command. Feel the rumble of explosions in your Hollywood blockbusters or hear the crowds roar when you score a goal in your favorite video games. It's great for music, too, like when you want to relax to the taut, tuneful lows of an upright bass from a classic jazz number. Plus, the front-mounted controls make it simple to adjust the volume and crossover frequency on-demand, so you can get the best performance in your room.
- frequency response 30-150 Hz (±3dB)
- built-in amplifier delivers 150 watts of continuous power, 450 watts dynamic peak power
- continuously variable low-pass 50-150 Hz crossover
- 10" polypropylene woofer cone
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- front-mounted volume and crossover
- rear-mounted phase switch and auto on/off
- line-level/LFE inputs
- speaker-level inputs/outputs
- black ash finish
- 12-5/16"W x 17-3/8"H x 17-1/8"D
- weight: 31 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years subwoofer, 1 year amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why add a powered subwoofer?
A powered subwoofer gives you bass you can feel as well as hear. Our customers love the depth and impact their subs add to music and movies. We hear comments like "it brings out sounds I didn't know existed in discs I've watched a million times." Powered subwoofers aren't just for big bass that rattles your picture frames; they can also deliver tight, accurate lows. If you haven't shopped for a powered sub in a while, you might be surprised at how small they get. Look for an ultra-compact model if you want to tuck your sub away under an end table or in a corner.
PSB SubSeries 5i Reviews
Average Customer Review:
PSB SubSeries 5i
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Excellent sharp base tones for my home theater system.
Pros: Easy setup instructions. Fit into my budget.
PSB SubSeries 5i
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
When I ordered this sub, I wasn't exactly sure whether the 10" sub would be capable of handling the punch that I like in my music and movies but I have to say I was pleasantly suprised. I haven't had any problems with muddy sounding bass or distortion of any type. The sub provides all the punch that I can handle in my living room
What's in the box?
- Powered subwoofer
- 8.25' AC power cord (IEC 2-prong type)
- Owner's Guide (Eng / Fre / Span)
- Limited Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||10|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||150|
|Frequency Response||30-150 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The PSB Speakers SubSeries 5i is a powered subwoofer, featuring a front-firing 10" polypropylene cone woofer with a rubber surround. The woofer is driven by a 150-watt RMS (225 watts dynamic, 450 watts peak), Class H/BASH amplifier. The SubSeries 5i has two front-firing 2" ports, a textured black ash vinyl finish, and a removable black cloth grille. The subwoofer is magnetically shielded, so it can be placed near CRT-type TVs without causing picture interference.
Auto Power Mode: The subwoofer features a main power switch on the back panel. When switched to On, the subwoofer is initially in stand-by mode, awaiting the presence of an audio signal. When the signal is received, the subwoofer turns on automatically. When no signal is detected, the sub's amp will automatically turn off after approximately 15 minutes. In the Off position, the subwoofer will not power up. A green LED, located on the front panel between the control knobs, will glow when the subwoofer is active.
Control Knobs: Two rotary control knobs are provided on the front of the subwoofer. One controls the output level of the subwoofer, relative to the volume of the other speakers in the system. The other control adjusts the high-frequency roll-off of signals sent to the subwoofer. The control is continuously variable from 50 Hz to 150 Hz, and allows you to precisely match the subwoofer's bass production with the main left and right stereo speakers.
Phase Control: The phase switch allows for the adjustment of the phase of the subwoofer in relation to the speakers used in the system, either 0 or 180 degrees.
Inputs: The SubSeries 5i can be connected by the following methods:
- Low Level Input: Two gold-plated RCA jacks are provided for connecting your receiver via the low-level input. You can use a single RCA cable to connect the Subwoofer or LFE (low frequency effects) Output from your receiver, preamplifier, or integrated amp. Either the left or right channel inputs can be used. Since most subwoofer/LFE outputs are filtered by most receivers/processors, the subwoofer's variable low-pass filter is usually not required and should be bypassed. This is done by placing the LFE input/Crossover Bypass switch to the Active position. If your receiver or integrated amplifier has preamp outputs, or if you are using a preamplifier without a designated subwoofer/LFE output, the preferred connection is to use a stereo RCA cable plugged into both left and right inputs. If the preamp outputs are unfiltered, the subwoofer's internal crossover should be used and the LFE input/Crossover Bypass switch placed in the "Off" position.
- Speaker Level In/Out: Two pairs of 5-way binding post terminals (for left and right channel) are provided for connecting the sub with speaker wire. The terminals will accept bare wire, spade lugs, pin connectors, and single or dual banana plugs. The plastic inserts must first be removed from the terminals before using banana plugs. Two additional pairs of 5-way binding post terminals are provided to allow you to run speaker wires from the subwoofer directly to the main speakers, eliminating the need to run wires from the receiver or amplifier to the main speakers. The high-level signal passes through the subwoofer and on to the main speakers unfiltered.
Power Cord: The subwoofer has a removable power cord with an IEC 2-pronged connector. This allows you to use a third-party IEC-type power cord, if desired.