Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Unleash your iTunes® music
With the iW2 you can enjoy your iTunes music library whether it's stored on your computer or a portable device. This speaker uses Apple Airplay technology to wirelessly connect to your computer, iPod touch®, iPhone®, or iPad® to the iW2 and play songs from your collection. With Apple's free Remote app, you can also operate the system directly from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad with intuitive, touch screen navigation.
Apps and control optionsIn addition to Apple's Remote app, iHome offers additional ways to control your system through your Apple portable device. The free iHome Set app lets you adjust all of the iW2's settings for optimal sound. And the free iHome Connect app helps you set up your wireless AirPlay system.
Create an instant whole-house audio system
Because AirPlay links all compatible devices together, you can place additional iW2 speakers in other rooms and simultaneously play music wirelessly throughout your home. Or use the iW2 with other AirPlay-compatible speaker systems and audio receivers for convenient music playback, anywhere you want it.
The iW2 doesn't trade convenience for sound quality, either. The system's built-in speakers are powered by a low-distortion amp to deliver finely detailed, accurate sound — even at high volume levels. Sophisticated processing circuitry continually adjusts the sound, improving brightness and clarity while also delivering deeper bass.
Dock your iPod®, iPhone, or iPad
You can connect your Apple portable device directly to the system. Just use your player's charging cable. When you plug it into the iW2's USB port, the system will automatically charge your device. And you can play music directly from your connected iPod, iPhone, or iPad through the system.
- wireless powered speaker system
- Apple AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch®, iPhone®, iPad®, or computer
- USB port for iPod/iPhone/iPad charging cable
- auxiliary input for portable devices
- remote control
- AC power adapter
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
iHome iW2 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Was very easy to setup, connect to my network. They give 3 options, I think it was, to connect into your network. I picked 1 of the options and had it playing in minutes. Had it playing from iTunes then on my Apple TV and finally an iPad, each was as simple as selecting the airplay icon and then selecting the speaker.
Sound quality was Good for the size of the speaker. A little weak on the low end, but not really unexpected.
This has nothing to do specifically with this speaker but, I really enjoy being able to select multiple Airplay devices in iTunes for whole house playback. I wish the Apple TV would allow multi-out selection as well.
Pros: Airplay simplicity for connecting into the Apple environment. Has a USB connection if you want to connect an iPod, iPhone or iPad directly. Has a 3.5mm Aux in for other devices.
Cons: No major complaints.
I cannot believe this item requires an 802.11b/g network. I did not want to downgrade my network from 802.11n to the aging 802.11b/g standard.
Cons: 802.11b/g only!!
Functions well; sound so-so
It works well. It's very cool to walk around the house playing whatever song you want at a whim from your phone. It also plays Pandora, etc. The sound is OK for regular use. It's ten watts. If you want to listen to classical or house-rattling dubstep this is probably not for you. As far as setting it up, I would point out that if it is slow and took a few times turning the wifi on and off, but it's never dropped the signal. A downside you may not realize until you try it is that your computer must be on, running iTunes, for it to work---even if using your phone as the "remote." If you only have one computer at home, could be annoying. Also if you are running it from your phone and you get/make a call, it turns off. Also, you can't play different music from different speakers. But all of these shortcomings you pay hundreds more to overcome for Sonos or the like.
Pros: integration with iTunes and iPhone remote app; attractive design; price
Cons: sound quality is not stunning.
Cannot recommend the iW2
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I cannot recommend this product, as it will not connect to my iTunes despite every effort to get it to do so. The iHome site offers no voice tech support, and its email support has not helped me. Crutchfield tech support has made a consistent effort to assist me, but despite their efforts to help, I still cannot get this speaker to play from iTunes. All my hardware and software is up to date, and we are following all instructions to the letter.
Pros: Great idea.
Cons: Does not connect to network, despite the efforts of its computer-literate owner and dedicated tech support from Crutchfield.
What's in the box?
- Airplay Speaker (iW2)
- AC power adapter (with attached 6' DC cord)
- Remote control (Rz14)
- CR2032 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 21" USB/iPod sync cable
- Start Guide
- Remote Control Instruction Booklet
- Limited 1 Year Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions/Consumers Product Safety Guide
- Product Registration
- iHome Brochure
- "Read this First!" note
iHome iW2 AirPlay Wireless Speaker: The iHome iW2 is a wireless audio system with built-in AirPlay & SRS audio technology. AirPlay is a built-in feature to Apple devices that lets you stream audio wirelessly from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and iTunes through your existing WiFi network. Using AirPlay, the iW2 lets you play your iTunes or Apple device's music in any room of your home or office wirelessly, via your WiFi network. The iW2 provides high-quality sound thanks to SRS WOW HD & TruBass technology. The iHome iW2 operates on AC power only. The iHome iW2 Airplay wireless audio system is the perfect solution for iTunes, iPad, iPhone, & iPod users. With the iHome iW2 you can:
- Stream music directly from iTunes on your Mac or PC using your home Wi-Fi network.
- Stream your favorite music from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch from your iPod library or popular music apps like Pandora & iHeartRadio (available on the App Store).
- Dock, charge, & play audio with your iPhone or iPod using the included USB/iPod sync cable.
- Download & enjoy iHome apps available on the iTunes App Store - iHome Sleep (music alarm clock app), iHome Radio (Internet Radio music app), iHome Connect (network setup app for iHome AirPlay).
- Add Multiple iW2 speakers to enjoy multi-room audio anywhere in the home (streaming to multiple speakers simultaneously requires iTunes as the source).
Reson8 Speaker Chambers: The iHome iW2 AirPlay Wireless Speaker employs specially designed sealed speaker enclosures that deliver clarity, depth, and power to your digital music.
SRS TruBass DSP: The iW2 features SRS TruBass digital sound processing to enhance the audio performance and ensure proper bass response when listening to your music.
SRS WOW HD: SRS WOW HD improves the playback quality of audio, delivering a dynamic 3D entertainment experience with deep, rich bass, and high frequency clarity for crisp detail.
Adjustable EQ: Bass & Treble controls let you customize the iW2 system's sound.
AirPlay Wireless Technology: Using AirPlay wireless audio streaming technology, the iW2 streams music from your iTunes, iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad anywhere you have a WiFi network in your home. Apple's AirPlay technology allows music, downloaded to iTunes, to be streamed wirelessly from your Mac or PC to the iHome iW2. You can even bypass your computer entirely, and stream high-quality audio directly from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (all without the need to dock the device). The iW2 & your Apple device must be connected to the same wireless network via WiFi (802.11b/g).
- iTunes Streaming: AirPlay technology gives you wireless remote access to your entire iTunes 10 music collection and Internet radio (such as Pandora & iHeartRadio) with full navigation & playback control from your computer (Mac/PC) or iPod touch/iPhone (iOS 4.2 or later), via Apple's free Remote app. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the iHome iW2. So there's no need to dock your Apple device, unless you want to charge it. The iW2 must be connected to a WiFi network with access your iPad (1/2/3), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen) & running iOS 4.2 or later.
Note: For AirPlay, the iW2 must be connected to WiFi network with access to a Mac or PC running iTunes 10.1 or later; or an iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen) running iOS 4.2 or later.
WiFi Certified: AirPlay works wherever there is a Wi-Fi network. The iHome iW2 is WiFi Certified for 802.11b & 802.11g WiFi networks. The "WiFi CERTIFIED" logo is an assurance that the WiFi Alliance has tested this product in numerous configurations & with a diverse sampling of other devices to ensure compatibility with other WiFi Certified equipment that operates in the same frequency band.
Note: The iW2 may take between 30-120 seconds to connect with your home network. The iW2 supports the following WiFi security types - WPA Personal (-PSK) & WPA2 Personal (-PSK).
Ethernet Port: In addition to being WiFi certified, the iHome iW2 also features a Ethernet (RJ-45) port for a hardwired network connection (Ethernet cable sold separately).
iHome+Apps Technology: The iW2 AirPlay wireless audio system is compatible with the following iHome+Apps, available for free from the Apple iTunes App Store. Simply download these apps for free from the Apple iTunes App Store to your compatible iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPad.
- iHome Connect App: The iHome iW2 supports simple network setup & custom device naming using the iHome Connect app (a free app available on the iTunes App Store) for iPad, iPhone, & iPod touch. Simply launch the app & dock your Apple device to the iW2 (with the included USB docking cable) & follow simple on-screen menus to configure WiFi. You'll be able to enjoy AirPlay in just a few short minutes.
- iHome+Sleep App: The iHome+Sleep app is a free sleep lifestyle app (from iTunes App Store) for the iPad, iPhone, & iPod Touch. In addition to a full screen clock (with weather, iPod controls, & photo backgrounds) the app features custom alarms, wake & sleep music profiles, sleep stats, social update, plus reminders.
- iHome+Radio App: The iHome+Radio app is a free Internet Radio app (from iTunes Store) for the iPad, iPhone, & iPod Touch. The iHome+Radio app connects you to over 30,000 internet music, talk, sports, & news stations from around the world. With multitasking background audio support, you can listen to Internet Radio while surfing the web, playing games, & more.
Note: iHome+Sleep, iHome+Radio, & iHome Connect apps only work with iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), and requires iOS 4.0 or later.
Multi-Room Audio: You can add multiple iW2 speakers throughout your home & with AirPlay enjoy the same music from any or all of your speakers, simultaneously. Streaming to multiple iW2 speakers simultaneously requires iTunes as the source.
USB Docking: The iHome iW2 also supports audio playback via its rear-panel USB (type-A) port by using the included USB/dock sync cable or the USB/dock cable that comes with your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The iW3 will even charge your USB/dock connected iPod or iPhone (with the iW3 turned on). The unit will not charge the iPad. The USB docking connector works with the iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod nano (2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th gen), iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (2G/3G/3G/4/4S/5), & iPad. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the unit. The USB connector is not compatible with other USB (MSC/MTP) devices.
Firmware Updates: It may be necessary to update the firmware of your iW2 speaker to ensure the latest compatibility and optimal functionality. You can download the latest firmware updates from the iHome Support Site to a USB thumbdrive & connect to the USB port on the back of the iW2. Register for an iHome account to receive emails about FW updates.
Auxiliary Input: The iW2 is fitted with a rear-panel 3.5mm Aux input for connection of an external portable audio device, other than your Apple device.
Playback Control: The iHome iW2 offers control of your streaming music. The iW2 supports play/pause, next track, previous track, & volume control of iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, & iTunes music playback from the speaker control panel & from the included IR remote.
- Push-Button Controls: The iHome iW2's top-panel, push-button controls allow you to operate the system & your music playback. The top-panel, push-button controls control offer power, mode, volume, & music controls. Controls will be lit according to the status of the iW2 speaker & the selected mode.
- Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation over the AirPlay speaker system & your music.
Apple Free Remote App: Use Apple's free Remote app to wirelessly control your iTunes music from your iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), & iPad. Simply download the Remote application for free at the iTunes App Store. Then you can browse music, control volume, & choose any iW2 speaker which is connected for playback.
Note: The Remote App requires an iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5tH gen) running iOS 4.2 or later, connected to the same network as the iW2.
AC Power: The iHome iW2 operates on AC power. The iW2 includes a universal 100-240V external AC power adapter with an attached 6' DC cord.
AC Power Adapter: for operation & charging of the system.
- Input: 100-240V~50-60Hz, max. 0.8A
- Output: 12V-3.0A
iPod, iPhone & iPad Compatibility Chart: The iHome iW2 is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible & supports the following iPod, iPhone, & iPad model features (as of 10/30/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||AirPlay||iHome Apps||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Unit||Apple Device||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.