Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The iW4 brings the convenience of Apple AirPlay to your nightstand in a compact clock radio that uses your iPad, iPod, or iPhone to best advantage. First, the iW4 is AirPlay-compatible, which means it can conveniently stream music over your Wi-Fi® network from computers and Apple portable devices. You can also dock your Apple device and turn it into a versatile, fully programmable alarm system using free downloadable apps from iHome. The system also features an FM tuner with six presets, and a large, easy-to-read LCD display.
The AirPlay advantage
AirPlay lets you enjoy music from any iTunes library in your home — whether it's stored on your computer, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. And if you're streaming from your PC, you can use your Apple portable as a remote and select songs, playlists and adjust volume right from the palm of your hand.
Do even more with iHome apps
Four free iHome apps make the iW4 even easier to use with your Apple portable.
- The iHome Connect gets you off to a good start by helping you integrate the system into your home Wi-Fi network quickly.
- Forget punching buttons to set the time or change the alarm. The iHome Set app lets you do all that quickly right from your Apple portable. Set the system's clock, lock in radio presets, even install firmware updates wirelessly from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- The iHome+Sleep app turns your docked device into a super alarm clock. Use the interactive menu to set multiple alarms with sound effects or music. Touch the screen and see current weather and a one-day forecast.
- With the iHome+Radio app, your docked Apple portable becomes an Internet radio tuner. Suddenly you'll have access to tens of thousands of Internet radio stations from around the world, featuring music, news, sports, and talk — and all free.
All this and great sound
Sophisticated processing continually adjusts the signal in real time, improving brightness and clarity while also delivering deeper bass. You'll enjoy clean, spacious sound with plenty of natural-sounding detail.
- compatible with iPhones, iPods, and iPads
- built-in iPod/iPhone/iPad dock (adapter required for iPhone 5, iPad mini and other Lightning connector devices)
- works with iHome+Sleep and iHome+Radio, iHome Set and iHome Connect apps (available from iTunes Store)
- Apple AirPlay via Wi-Fi
- FM tuner with 6 presets
- adjustable EQ settings
- auxiliary stereo minijack input for portable devices
- programmable snooze alarm
- AC power adapter
- 10-13/16"W x 4-1/2"H x 7-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
iHome IW4 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Small and fiddley buttons
Decent sound quality, good features, but not very intuitive and the buttons are tiny and fiddley. I like that it connects to home wifi and can use AirPlay.
Pros: AirPlay, wifi capable
Cons: Small and frankly terrible buttons
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The concept of an Airplay clock radio has great promise. iHome has completely underwhelmed in its execution. As a first generation product, the iW4 is plagued with several deficiencies. Two of the most notable issues: ---The wireless connection continually drops on the unit requiring a reset of the wireless connection. I have an airplay receiver on the same network that is rock solid and always recognized by my iOS devices so this would seem to indicate an issue with the iW4. If you do purchase I would recommend attaching this to a powerline solution. ---The radio has built in battery back up. While this is great, there is, again, a flaw in the iW4 execution of this. If the power is switched to battery backup, when AC power returns, the unit speakers will not work without physically unplugging the unit to hard reset it. The alaem is powered through the speakers. I had a power outage overnight. While the alarm went off at the prescribed time, there was no audible notification due to this bug. So I awoke about an hour past the alarm time setting. ---Would be great if iHome would make an app that would allow remote control of the iW4. Seems easy enough and would be a nice enhancement. ---The battery bug can probably be fixed through a firmware update, although, I doubt iHome releases regular firmware updates.
I would recommend against purchasing the first generation of this product. And, based on my experience I will most likely steer clear of future iHome purchas
Pros: Concept and potential of an airplay clock radio. Unfortunately, I doubt iHome's ability to execute the vision.
Cons: First product generation flaws (battery back up bug) Frequent wireless network drops
What's in the box?
- Apple device speaker dock
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- Start Guide
- "Read this first" note
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Card
- iHome brochure
Immersive Sound: The iHome iW4 AirPlay Wireless Speaker features four active speakers with custom Reson8 speaker chambers for dynamic audio performance. SRS WOW HD & SRS TruBass digital sound processing improves the playback quality of audio, delivering a dynamic 3D entertainment experience with deep, rich bass, and high frequency clarity for crisp detail. Bass & Treble controls let you customize the iW4 system's sound.
Apple Dock: The iW4 features a universal dock design that supports charging, audio playback, basic control, and app-enhanced communication for the Apple iPad, iPhone, and iPod. The iHome iW4 employs a flexible dock connector to accommodate a wide variety of accessory cases that users typically buy for their iPads, iPhones, and iPods. The iHome iW4 supports playback of your iPod's, iPhone's, and iPad's stored music files and music apps with basic playback control (Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next). Advanced music navigation can still be done through your iPod/iPhone/iPad's clickwheel or touchscreen. The iHome iW4 will also charge your docked iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
AirPlay Wireless Technology: Using AirPlay wireless audio streaming technology, the iW4 streams music from your iTunes, iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad anywhere you have a WiFi network in your home. Apple's AirPlay technology allows music, downloaded to iTunes, to be streamed wirelessly from your Mac or PC to the iHome iW4. You can even bypass your computer entirely, and stream high-quality audio directly from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (all without the need to dock the device). The iW4 & your Apple device or computer must be connected to the same wireless network via WiFi (802.11b/g).
- iTunes Streaming: AirPlay technology gives you wireless remote access to your entire iTunes 10 music collection and Internet radio (such as Pandora & iHeartRadio) with full navigation & playback control from your computer (Mac/PC) or iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen)/iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5)/iPad running iOS 4.2 or later, via Apple's free Remote app.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the iHome iW4. So there's no need to dock your Apple device, unless you want to charge it. The iW4 supports the iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), and iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen) running iOS 4.2 or later.
Note: You can add multiple iW4 speakers throughout your home & with AirPlay enjoy the same music from any or all of your speakers, simultaneously. Streaming to multiple iW4 speakers simultaneously requires iTunes as the source.
WiFi Certified: AirPlay works wherever there is a WiFi network. The iHome iW4 is WiFi Certified for 802.11b & 802.11g WiFi networks. The "WiFi CERTIFIED" logo is an assurance that the WiFi Alliance has tested this product in numerous configurations & with a diverse sampling of other devices to ensure compatibility with other WiFi Certified equipment that operates in the same frequency band. The iW4 supports the following WiFi security types - WPA Personal (-PSK) & WPA2 Personal (-PSK).
Note: In addition to being WiFi certified, the iHome iW4 also features a Ethernet (RJ-45) port for a hardwired network connection (Ethernet cable sold separately).
iHome+Apps Technology: The iW4 AirPlay wireless audio system is compatible with the following iHome+Apps, available for free from the Apple iTunes App Store. Simply download these apps for free from the Apple iTunes App Store to your compatible iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPad running iOS 4.0 or later.
- iHome Connect App: The iHome iW4 supports simple network setup & custom device naming using the iHome Connect app (a free app available on the iTunes App Store) for iPad, iPhone, & iPod touch. Simply launch the app & dock your Apple device to the iW4 (with the included USB docking cable) & follow simple on-screen menus to configure WiFi. You'll be able to enjoy AirPlay in just a few short minutes.
- iHome+Sleep App: The iHome+Sleep app is a free sleep lifestyle app (from iTunes App Store) for the iPad, iPhone, & iPod Touch. In addition to a full screen clock (with weather, iPod controls, & photo backgrounds) the app features custom alarms, wake & sleep music profiles, sleep stats, social update, plus reminders.
- iHome+Radio App: The iHome+Radio app is a free Internet Radio app (from iTunes Store) for the iPad, iPhone, & iPod Touch. The iHome+Radio app connects you to over 30,000 internet music, talk, sports, & news stations from around the world. With multitasking background audio support, you can listen to Internet Radio while surfing the web, playing games, & more.
iPod, iPhone & iPad Compatibility Chart: The iHome iW4 is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible & supports the following iPod, iPhone, & iPad model features (as of 10/30/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||AirPlay||iHome Apps||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Unit||Apple Device||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
- *If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad (4th gen), or iPad mini; the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter or cable is required (both sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The iHome iW4 is equipped with a rear-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting an external audio source such as your MP3 player or laptop.
FM Tuner: The iHome iW4 features a built-in FM tuner with an attached 51" FM wire antenna. You can preset up 6 of your favorite FM stations. This unit does not offer an AM tuner.
LCD Display + Backlit Controls: The iHome iW4 features a 3.25" (diagonal) two-line LCD. The display provides time, date, source, and menu information. The unit also features top-panel backlit buttons, so its easy to use in the dark when you first wake-up or going to bed.
Digital Alarm Clock: The iHome iW4 features a built-in digital alarm clock with various settings. The iW4 syncs its built-in clock & calendar to the current time & date setting on your docked or AirPlay connected iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The clock and calendar display can also be set manually.
- Dual Alarms w/ Snooze: Two independent alarms let you wake to any combination of iPod, iPhone, iPad, FM radio, or alarm tones with 7/5/2 alarm settings for full week, work week or weekend with separate wake times and alarm sources to suit your lifestyle. A programmable Snooze feature lets you sleep in a little bit more with a snooze time adjustment between 1-29 minutes.
- Nap Mode: Nap mode lets you set an alarm separate from Alarm 1 & 2. The Nap mode can be set to wake you up in 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes. You can be woken up to music from your iPod, iPhone, iPad, or the built-in FM tuner.
- Sleep Timer: The iHome iW4 lets you go to sleep listening to your iPod, iPhone, iPad, or the built-in FM radio for predetermined amount of time. You can adjust the sleep timer from 15, 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Note: The iHome iW4 gently increases the alarm and decreases the sleep volumes for easier waking and going to bed.
Power Requirements: The iHome iW4 operates off of standard household AC current using the supplied AC power adapter.
- Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz, 1.2A
- Output: 12V - 3500mA
Note: The iHome iW4 comes with a CR2450 3V backup battery installed to provide backup alarm operation and clock settings in the event of a power failure. When the backup batteries have been installed and a power failure occurs or the AC cord is accidentally disconnected, the display backlight will not remain lit, but current time and alarm time settings will be temporarily maintained. When the battery low indicator appears on the display, it's time to replace the batteries.
Firmware Updates: It may be necessary to update the firmware of your iW4 speaker to ensure the latest compatibility and optimal functionality. You can download the latest firmware updates from the iHome Support Site to a USB thumbdrive & connect to the USB port on the back of the iW4. Register for an iHome account to receive emails about FW updates.