Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
A top-notch CD transport...
Most CD players combine a transport that reads your discs with a digital-to-analog converter and other electronics to process the digital bits into sound. Needless to say, that combo works out pretty well most of the time. But when you really want the best possible performance, separate components for these two tasks are the way to go.
The Musical Fidelity M1CDT transport is a true CD specialist. It's designed to do only one thing with the utmost precision read your compact discs. This single-purpose design allows it to deliver digital data to an outboard DAC with no interference from internal analog circuitry. To further improve playback accuracy, the M1CDT incorporates Musical Fidelity's premium stabilized clock system to ensure low-jitter performance. You'll hear more detail and impact from your music CDs when you play them on this transport.
...deserves a top-shelf DAC
The M1CDT's compact, slot-loading design saves you shelf space, and makes a perfect partner for Musical Fidelity's fantastic M1DAC digital-to-analog converter. Together these two take up the same amount of room as a standard-width CD player, while providing greater flexibility and performance. The M1CDT makes an excellent choice to pair up with other high-end DACs, as well.
- disc transport only requires outboard digital-to-analog converter
- slot-loading design reads stereo audio from standard CD, CD-R, or CD-RW
- allows playback of 44.1kHz/16-bit S/PDIF digital CD audio
- supports CD text with compatible discs
- programmed playback for up to 30 tracks
- premium stabilized clock system ensure low jitter output
- digital outputs:
- 3-pin XLR (AES/EBU)
- coaxial RCA (S/PDIF)
- optical (Toslink S/PDIF)
- remote control
- 15V trigger input and output for system control expansion
- detachable power cord
- 8-11/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 13"-7/16"D
- weight: 7.75 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Musical Fidelity M1CDT Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Now,the very best!!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Buy this one not the M3.This one has AES cable hook-up.Finally,you'll stop complaining about your system.No flabby bass.The band sounds live in your room!!I think how many syatems have I had?The drummer clanks the cymbals.Like he is really there.Thanks Musical Fidelity..........I am finally happy!
What's in the box?
- Single-disc CD transport
- 7' AC power cord
- Remote control (M1CDT)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Instructions booklet
- Thank You Letter (inside envelope)
Features and Specs
|Direct Track Access||Remote|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Multiple CD Player Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|CD Frequency Response||Not given Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|SACD Frequency Response||Not Compatible|
|SACD Dynamic Range||---|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
M1 Series CD Transport: The Musical Fidelity M1 CDT is a high-quality, slot-loading CD transport. A CD player typically integrates both a transport section and a digital-to-analog converter (DAC), along with other circuitry. The Musical Fidelity M1 CDT is a transport only, allowing us to optimize its ability to read the digital discs and deliver the data with no interference from analog circuitry. For sound and styling, the slot-loading M1 CDT is the perfect partner for the Music Fidelity M1 CLiC or M1 DAC (both sold separately). This compact pairing will take up the same space as a conventional-sized CD player and yet deliver so much more in terms of flexibility and performance.
CD Slot-Loading Mechanism: The M1 CDT consists of a top quality CD slot-loading ("inhaler-type") mechanism with unsurpassed playability.
- Loading a Disc: To load a CD gently introduce the CD into the slot on the front-panel. The mechanism will sense the presence of the CD and draw it in automatically (there is no need to use any force to insert a disc).
- Ejecting a Disc: A CD may be removed by pressing the Eject button on the front-panel. The CD will come out of the slot approximately two-thirds of the way to allow easy removal. If a CD is eject and not removed, it will be retracted back into the mechanism for safety after a few seconds.
Disc Compatibility: The Musical Fidelity M1 CDT is guaranteed to read a wide range of CD-Audio, CD-R, and CD-R/W discs; and features CD text which picks up track, album and artist details.
44.1kHz/16-Bit Playback: This unit allows playback of 16-bit/44.1kHz SPDIF digital CD audio, via optical, coaxial RCA, or balanced XLR connections for the absolute best in digital data transfer. It is designed particularly to be partnered with Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC or DAC (both sold separately) to give a top quality CD playback option to either component (alternatively it may be partnered with any other suitable digital to analog converter).
Premium Clock System: Accuracy is further improved by the use of a premium stabilized clock system, which ensures low-jitter performance. Again, that means you'll hear more from your music when it's played on the M1 CDT.
LCD Window: The Musical Fidelity M1 CDT features a front-panel LCD window which indicates disc and track playback time. The M1 CDT will also display CD-Text.
Front-Panel Controls: The M1 CDT provides basic playback controls on the front-panel. These controls include - Power, Play/Pause, Stop, Previous/Next Track, and Eject.
Remote Control: The included IR remote enables functions from the M1 CDT to be operated from a convenient distance. Equivalent buttons on the remote control have the same functions as those on the front-panel of the unit. Other functions are only available by remote control. Some of these functions include:
- Numeric Keypad: Using the remote's numeric keypad (0-10), you can select a specific track for playback.
- Fast Forward/Rewind: You can navigate forward or backward through a track with audio.
- Program: You can select up to 30 tracks to play in a specific order.
- Scan: You can play only the first 10 seconds of each track to preview the contents of a disc.
- Repeat: You can repeat the playback of a single track or all tracks on a disc. A/B Repeat proves the option of playing just a certain section of a disc over and over again.
- Shuffle: The Shuffle feature allows you to play back the tracks on a disc in a random sequence.
Digital Outputs: The M1 CDT is fitted with optical (toslink), coaxial (RCA), and XLR (balanced) digital connections.
- AES/EBU Balanced Digital Output: The M1 CDT can be connected in true balanced mode to the M1 DAC (778M1DACAB, sold separately) via its AES/EBU (XLR) output. This audiophile option delivers optimum, audible performance benefits.
- Optical/Coaxial Digital Outputs: The M1 CDT also offers optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital connections, enabling it to partner perfectly with the M1 CLiC (778M1CLIC, sold separately); adding CD to music streaming capabilities, giving you the best of both worlds.
Trigger Input/Output: The unit can be triggered to switch on/off remotely by applying a ±4.5 to ±15V DC signal to the 3.5mm Trigger Input from an external triggering device. Any further devices to be triggered on/off may be connected to the Trigger Output jack as it replicates the Trigger Input signal. This will form a chain of devices that will switch on/off together.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The M1 CDT includes a 7' detachable 3-prong AC power cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.