Our take on the Grado PS1000e
The power to amaze
Think of the Grado Professional Series PS1000e as an open window to the heart and soul of your music. Their clarity and transparency are simply stunning, capable of revealing the subtlest details on your favorite recordings — from the sound of the guitarist's fingers as they settle on the frets to the delicate reverberation of the final chords as they fade into silence. These headphones feature updates to Grado's previous PS1000 headphones, including an improved driver design, better acoustic damping, and a new cable, for even higher levels of audiophile bliss.
As Grado's finest headphones, the PS1000e are all about power and restraint. The power to lift you out of your seat with a potent dynamic punch. And the restraint to remain steadfastly neutral and balanced, even during the most demanding sonic thunderstorms. These awesome headphones can be driven using the headphone outputs on most home audio systems, but to really hear them in all their glory a headphone amplifier is strongly recommended.
A perfect blend of technology and nature
Each PS1000e is hand-crafted by Grado Labs in Brooklyn, New York. Its outer earcup housings are cast and machined from a very hard, non-resonant metal alloy, then fitted with an inner sleeve of specially cured mahogany wood. This combination of proprietary materials creates an air chamber that resists unwanted vibration, to ensure your sound remains unaffected by coloration and distortion. The PS1000e include extra-large ear cushions that create a "room" around your ears. This added space creates a huge soundstage for your music, and provides enhanced wearing comfort. The PS1000e's ultra-wide frequency range ensures you'll hear every bit of your music. And the genuine leather headband can be adjusted for a custom fit.
From our review of the previous Grado PS1000 Headphones Review:
These are some of the most balanced, transparent, fully-extended headphones I've had the luck to try, and wearing them is like having a little fluffy cloud on your head; they're ready for the long haul. Personally, I feel the best headphones are ones that get out of the way of the original producers and engineers intent, and just report the signals they receive with honesty and integrity. The Grado PS1000s fall into that category, and with their extra little dash of retro sauce, they're pretty darn stylish as well.
— Woody, Crutchfield Home A/V Writer
- open-back, around-the-ear design with replaceable ear cushions
- vented diaphragms (open-air) for spacious, low-distortion sound and extended bass response
- 50mm dynamic drivers
- extra-large hard metal alloy/mahogany hybrid enclosures and air chambers prevent "ringing" that can adversely affect performance
- special "de-stressed" diaphragms and a twelve-conductor connecting cable enhance detail and provide a more open sound
- extra-large ear cushions, precisely matched drivers, and increased air flow through rear metal screens deliver a huge soundstage and freedom from coloration
- adjustable leather headband for a custom fit
- driver pairs matched to within 0.05 dB for better stereo imaging
- ultra-high purity, long-crystal copper (UHPLC) voice coil wire
- ultra-high purity, 12-conductor long-crystal copper headphone cable terminated with a 1/4" plug
- 1/8" plug adapter and 15 ft. extension cable included
- frequency response: 5-50,000 Hz
- sound pressure level (at 1mW): 99.8 dB
- impedance: 32 ohms
- warranty: 1 year (does not include earpads)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee