Our take on the Grado SR225e
Get closer to the music
Grado's Prestige Series SR225e headphones deliver the kind of dynamic impact and natural, uncolored sound that gets your toes tapping and keeps you listening to your tunes late into the night. They also give audiophiles and music lovers enhanced, low-level resolving power that helps uncover fresh details on familiar recordings. These headphones feature updates to Grado's previous SR225i headphones, including an improved driver design, better acoustic damping, and a new cable. Grado's SpaceBlack Polycarbonate enclosures minimize resonance and vibration, for sound that's clean and clear.
Offering incredible bang for the buck, these impressive performers neatly occupy the sweet spot at the corner of "affordable" and "fantastic." You can easily drive them with your smartphone or portable portable. Connect the 1/4" adapter to plug them into your home stereo. Better yet, try them with a headphone amplifier and drive them to peak performance.
Born in Brooklyn and built to perform
Each pair of SR225e headphones is still made right in Brooklyn, New York where the Grado family has been building award-winning audio gear for almost 60 years. Like all Grado headphones, the SR225e uses a vented "open-air" earcup design with large, non-resonant air chambers for powerful, extended low frequency response and a more open, spacious sound. Drivers on the left and right channels are carefully matched to within 0.05 dB of each other for precise stereo imaging. They also feature large ear cushions and improved rear metal screens with enhanced air flow, for a larger soundstage and wider frequency response. A beefy, eight-conductor connecting cable and ultra-high purity copper voice coils give these 'phones a refined, ultra-smooth top-end and dynamic, yet tightly controlled bass.
From our review of the previous Grado SR225i headphones:
For listening at home, they're great. My music didn't sound 'closed in,' and that made it more enjoyable. I also heard a lot of detail, especially in the mid-range and high end. If you're ready to graduate to a quality pair of headphones for some serious listening sessions, the Grado SR225i headphones are a good place to start.
— Ralph Graves, Crutchfield Blog and Product Review Editor
- open-back, on-the-ear design with replaceable ear cushions
- vented diaphragms (open-air) for spacious, low-distortion sound and extended bass response
- special "de-stressed" diaphragms and a eight-conductor connecting cable for enhanced inner detail and a more open sound
- Grado's SpaceBlack Polycarbonate enclosures minimize unwanted vibration and resonance for cleaner, clearer sound
- large ear cushions and increased air flow through improved rear metal screens deliver a larger soundstage free from coloration
- adjustable headband for a custom fit
- driver pairs matched to within 0.05 dB for better stereo imaging
- ultra-high purity, long-crystal copper (UHPLC) voice coil wire
- eight-conductor copper headphone cable terminated with a 1/8" miniplug
- 1/4" plug adapter included
- optional 15-foot Grado headphone extension cable available
- frequency response: 20-22,000 Hz
- sound pressure level (at 1mW): 99.8 dB
- impedance: 32 ohms
- warranty: 1 year (does not include earpads)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee