Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
There are some lenses that will give you the luxury of taking in all of your surroundings from one spot; this is a fine example. With an equivalent focal length of 82.5-450mm, this 6X long-telephoto lens will bring into view birds in the trees, the hockey goal across the arena, or the column detail on that temple at the Roman Forum, all without having to run around for that closer angle. If your standard kit zoom isn't giving you all the reach you need, this is an excellent way to extend your creative choices outdoors.
Extra-low dispersion (ED) glass elements give you sharper detail with minimized distortion and color fringing. And the Super Protect (SP) coating repels dust, water and grease to keep your lens glass clean and smudge-free.
- Pentax KAF2 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED long telephoto zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 82.5-450mm
- compatible with Pentax K-mount digital SLR and hybrid cameras
- ED (extra-low dispersion) elements correct chromatic aberration for excellent image quality and sharpness
- constructed of 12 elements in 8 groups
- minimum focus distance: 55-1/4"
- minimum aperture: f/22 -f/32
- filter size: 58mm
- lens is 4-13/16" long, 2-13/16" in diameter
- weight: 15.5 ounces
- supplied accessories: front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and soft case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 Lens Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Good quality for the price, easily zooms in and focuses sharply. Relatively light weight, and durable. I use this lens primarily for birdwatching photos, and I can get some very close in pictures. It's not weather sealed, but I can deal with that for the price I paid.
Pros: Lightweight, but solidly built
Cons: Not weather sealed.
What's in the box?
- smc Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8ED lens (with attached front and rear lens caps)
- PH-RBG 58mm lens hood (installed on lens)
- Soft vinyl carrying case
- Operating Manual
- Notification of Change of Company Name sheet
- Pentax Worldwide Service Network sheet
- Serial Number Card
Features and Specs
|Maximum Aperture||F4 (W) - 5.8 (T)|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The smc Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8ED is a 5.45x telephoto zoom lens for Pentax D-SLR and interchangeable lens cameras. Its 35mm equivalent is 82.5-450mm, and is ideal for moderate to long shots.
Lens Mount: The lens has a KAF-mount, and can fit Pentax D-SLR and interchangeable lens cameras with KAF, KAF2 and KAF3 mounts. This includes the Pentax K-5 and K-01 cameras.
Zoom Ring: With the 55-300mm lens, zooming is performed by rotating the zoom ring (closest to the camera body). Markings are provided at 55, 70, 100, 200, and 300mm.
Lens Hood: The lens kit includes the PH-RBG 58mm lens hood to keep unwanted light out of the lens, and protect the front of the lens. It has a PL filter window which can be opened for facilitate the manipulation of the circular polarizing filter when the lens hood is attached. The hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens for storage. When installed, the hood adds approximately 2" to the overall length of the lens.
ED Glass: The Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass lens element offers superior sharpness with minimum chromatic aberration.
Super Protect: The Pentax-original SP (Super Protect) coating repels dust, water, and grease to help keep the lens clean.
- Focal Length: 55-300mm
- 35mm Equivalent: 82.5-450mm
- Lens Construction: 12 elements in 8 groups
- Mount Type: KAF-mount
- Maximum Aperture: F4-F5.8
- Minimum Aperture: F22-F32
- Maximum Magnification: 0.28x
- Angle of View: 29° to 5.4°
- Minimum Focus Distance: 4.67'
- Lens Hood: PH-RBG 58mm
- Filter Diameter: 58mm
- Diameter: 2.792"
- Length: 4.766" (5.211" w/caps)
- Weight: 15.5 ounces (16.6 oz w/lens hood)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.