Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The Pentax WG-4 is rugged and ready to take memorable photos wherever you take it.
A tough, weatherproof camera
This is a tough camera — exactly what you need if your weekend plans often take you off the beaten path. The Ricoh WG-4 is waterproof, resists freezing temperatures, and it's shockproof as well. The internal shake reduction keeps your images from coming out blurry. Pentax calls it "adventure proof".
Shoot HD video
The WG-4 also provides full HD movie recording, which lets you capture high-quality, extended movie clips. It also features a high-speed camera function for slow-motion playback of captured movie clips and a fast-forward movie function so you have plenty of creative options. The built-in micro-HDMI connector makes it easy to display your videos on a compatible TV.
Get ready for your close-up
You can take landscape shots and portraits with the WG-4, but you'll really notice how handy it is when you want to go macro. The camera features six bright LED lights arranged around the lens, ready to illuminate close-up shots perfectly, even when you're underwater.
- 16-megapixel CMOS sensor captures low-noise, high-resolution images
- rugged waterproof, shockproof digital camera
- 3" (460,000-dot) color LCD screen
- six LED lights positioned around the lens illuminate close-up macro shots
- 4x optical zoom (7.2x digital)
- sensitivity (ISO) settings: 125-6400
- 20+ exposure modes, including Surf & Snow, Night and Fireworks
- 17 scene modes, including Landscape, Sport and Sunset
- shutter speed: 1/4000-4 seconds
- red-eye compensation
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- compatible with Eye-Fi wireless memory cards
- USB 2.0 compatible with included cable
- micro HDMI connector built-in
- 4-15/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-1/4"D
- weight: 8.07 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Today's point-and-shoot cameras make great pictures easier than ever
From baby's first steps, to that dream vacation in the islands, these cameras make it easy to capture life's greatest hits. Today's cameras have helpful automatic features, like face detection and scene recognition that make shooting more foolproof than ever. And they all have plenty of megapixels for detailed photos that stay sharp, even when you enlarge and print them.
Ricoh WG-4 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great Underwater Camera
The Camera is rugged, takes good photos, and works well underwater. I wanted this camera due to the reasonable price point, compared to others. I'm happy with the purchase.
Pros: Rugged Great Underwater Good Pictures
Cons: Needs wrist strap
Great Camera for the Outdoors
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I bought this camera for an upcoming trip to Kauai, HI. Overall, it is a well built camera that is sturdy and can take the abuse of the outdoor environment. Playing on the beach, I was not afraid to get it wet or place it in the sand. The picture quality is excellent and it is very straight forward, easy to use. Having used a Nikon D5000 DSLR for the last few years, this camera is a good compliment to that. The lens gathers light nicely allowing for good low light shots.
Pros: - Waterproof and rugged design - Aperture starting at f/2.0. - Textured casing for good grip even when wet. - Tv (Shutter priority) setting - Function button allowing for 4 more instant controls of the camera
Cons: - No Av (Aperture priority) setting - Supplied strap and carabineer would be better replaced by a wrist strap
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Just had a chance to try it out and so far it is very good. I like the way it gives you a written description of the different modes on the display screen. I took several pictures this morning and they are sharp. Have not tried it out underwater yet.
Pros: easy to use. Sharp pictures.
Cons: Wish it had a view finder. I would give it 5 stars if it did. In bright light, the screen is a little hard to see.
What's in the box?
- Digital camera (lime yellow)
- D-LI92 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 925mAh 3.5Wh)
- D-PA135 AC adapter (5V 1A)
- 59" I-USB7 cable (with Type A USB on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- O-MS2 Macro stand
- O-ST145 Carabiner strap
- MediaImpression software on CD-ROM
- Operating Manual
- Quick Guide
- Notification of Change of Company Name sheet
- Pentax Worldwide Service Network sheet
- Serial Number Card
- "Do not return this product to your dealer" sheet
- "Regarding Waterproof - Dustproof - Shockproof Design" sheet
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-100mm|
|Internal Memory||70 MB|
|Effective Megapixel Count||16|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The WG-4 is Ricoh Imaging's 17th generation of "ruggedized" digital camera, and is designed to withstand almost any adventure. Its sturdy design is ideal for explorers, hikers, and extreme sports. The camera's high-quality optics and features can deliver excellent photos and videos.
Note: Previous versions of the WG-series cameras were sold under the Pentax brand name.
Rugged Design: The WG-4's rugged body is designed to withstand the following extreme conditions:
- Waterproof: waterproof to a depth of 45 feet for 2 hours (JIS grade 8)
- Shockproof: shockproof to protect from drops of up to 6.6 feet (MIL Standard 810-F Method 516.5)
- Crushproof: crushproof to withstand weights of up to 220 LBF (pound-force)
- Coldproof: coldproof to temperatures of 14°F (-10°C)
- Dustproof: protects camera from dry, dusty environments (JIS grade 6--equivalent to IP68)
3.0" LCD Monitor: The camera features a large, bright 3.0" LCD monitor for framing your shots and playing back recorded still images and movies. The monitor's 460,000-dot resolution gives you crystal clear images, and features a wide 170° viewing angle. The camera does not have a separate viewfinder.
Image Sensor: The WG-4 is equipped with a 16-megapixel 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor, which delivers high resolution image quality with accurate colors and low noise. It has 16.79 million total pixels and 16.0 million effective pixels.
Lens: The WG-4 has a 4x optical zoom, F2.0-4.9 lens with a focal length of 4.5-18mm, which is equivalent to 25-100mm in 35mm photography.
Intelligent/Digital Zoom: Beyond the 4x optical zoom, the camera has an intelligent zoom of 6x at 7M image size up to 28.8x at VGA. The zoom ratio varies with the image sizes. For larger image sizes, the digital zoom will give you a total zoom value of 28.8x.
Recording Media: The camera can record still images and movies onto SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards. In addition, the camera has a built-in memory of approximately 70 MB which will store images when no card is inserted. You can copy images and sound files from the built-in memory to the SD Memory card, or vice versa, at any time.
Still Image Sizes: The WG-4 can shoot JPEG still images in three aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9, and 1:1. You can set the image quality level (compression ratio) for each size and aspect ratio, to Best, Better, or Good. Image sizes include:
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (4:3)
- 12M: 3456 x 3456 (1:1)
- 12M: 4608 x 2592 (16:9)
- 7M: 3072 x 2304 (4:3)
- 5M: 3072 x 1728 (16:9)
- 5M: 2592 x 1944 (4:3)
- 4M: 2592 x 1464 (16:9)
- 3M: 2048 x 1536 (4:3)
- 2M: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
- 1024: 1024 x 768 (4:3)
- VGA: 640 x 480 (4:3)
Movie Recording: High Definition movies can be recorded in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format. You can choose from Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 30 frames per second, or 1280 x 720 at 60 or 30 fps.
Focus Modes: The WG-4 offers six focus modes:
- Standard AF: When the distance to the subject is approximately 15.75" to infinity, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- Macro: When the subject is 4"-20" away, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- 1cm Macro: When the subject is 0.4" to 12" away, the camera focuses on the subject in the autofocus area when the shutter release is pressed halfway.
- Pan Focus: The entire picture, from front to back, is focused. This mode is handy when you ask someone to take pictures for you, or taking pictures of scenery through a window of a car or train.
- Infinity: This mode is used for taking distant objects. (Flash is set to Off)
- Manual Focus: This mode lets you set the focus manually, using the four-way controller.
Macro Lights: The WG-4 features six white LEDs mounted around the lens that can be used in a number of ways. They can be turned on manually to add additional light to the subject, or to use as a temporary supplemental light. They automatically light when the camera is in Digital Microscope mode.
AF-Area Modes: You can set the range of the Auto Focus Area (AF Area) to one of three options: Multiple (normal AF area), Spot (small AF area), or Automatic Tracking (AF area moves with subject).
Drive Modes: The WG-4 offers several options for shooting single and multiple images at once. You can choose from the following Drive Modes:
- One Shot: Photos are taken one at a time with each press of the shutter release button.
- Continuous/Burst: Photos are taken continuously as long as the shutter release button is pressed. In Continuous Shooting Mode, photos are taken at 16M (4:3) resolution at approximately 1.5 frames per second. In Burst Shooting mode, up to 30 frames can be taken at 5M (4:3) at 12 fps, or 4M (16:9) at 14 fps.
- Interval Shot: The Interval mode lets you take 2 to 1000 shots at intervals of 10 seconds to 99 minutes apart. You can also set a delay time for the first shot of up to 24 hours.
- Self-Timer: A single photo is taken after approximately 10 seconds to allow the photographer to get into the picture. A 2-second self timer can be used to avoid camera shake when the shutter release button is pressed.
- Remote Control: Using the optional remote control, the shutter is released immediately after the shutter release button on the remote is pressed. A 3-second delay Remote Control setting is also available. Ricoh Imaging offers the optional Remote Control F, Remote Control E, or Remote Control Waterproof O-RC1.
- Auto Bracketing: You can take three consecutive images at three different exposure levels when the shutter release button is pressed once. Three images are saved with each release, one at standard exposure, one underexposed by 1.0 EV, and one overexposed by 1.0 EV.
Metering: You can select the portion of the image sensor to use for measuring brightness and determining exposure:
- Multi-segment: The sensor meters the brightness in 256 zones.
- Center-weighted: Metering is taken of the entire image, with the center of the image having more influence on the exposure.
- Spot: The brightness is measured only within a limited area at the center of the image.
Shooting Modes: The WG-4 has a variety of shooting modes that let you take pictures or record movies and sound in different situations simply by choosing the right mode for the particular situation from the Capture Mode Palette. You can select from the following: Program, Shutter Priority, User, HDR, Handheld Night Snap, Movie, Underwater, Underwater Movie, Digital Microscope, Landscape, Flower, Portrait, Interval Shot, Interval Movie, High Speed Movie, Time Lapse Movie, 1-cm Macro Movie, Digital SR, Surf & Snow, Kids, Pet, Sport, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Fireworks, Food, Report, and Auto Picture.
Note: The Auto Picture mode automatically selects the optimal mode for capturing the subject: Standard, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Landscape, Flower, Portrait, Sport, Candlelight, Blue Sky, Portrait Blue Sky, Portrait Backlight, Sunset, Portrait Sunset, Group Photograph, and Text.
Green Mode: In addition to the above shooting modes, the Green mode makes picture-taking easy by setting all of the camera's settings to a standard setting with the push of a button.
EV Compensation: You can deliberately overexpose or underexpose a picture using EV Compensation. The compensation value can be set between -2 and +2 EV in 1/3 EV intervals.
Shake Reduction: The WG-4 offers two types of shake reduction to ensure sharp, blur-free images and videos, even in dim lighting: Sensor Shift (optical) and Dual (optical and electronic). When no Shake Reduction is needed, it can be turned off.
White Balance: White Balance is a function for adjusting the color of an image so that white objects appear white. You can choose Automatic White Balance (AWB), or a preset White Balance depending upon the lighting source: Daylight, Shade, Tungsten Light, Daylight Colors Fluorescent, Daylight White Fluorescent, White Light Fluorescent, or Manual.
ISO Sensitivity: You can set the sensitivity to suit the brightness of the surroundings. The sensitivity can be set to ISO AUTO (ISO 125-1600) or manually to ISO 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400. The ISO Auto can be set to a range of 125-200, 125-400, 125-800, 125-1600, 125-3200, or 125-6400.
Flash: The WG-4 has a built-in flash for use in low-light situations. There are several Flash Modes to choose from:
- Auto Flash: the flash automatically fires based on brightness of the scene
- Auto + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires automatically with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Flash On: the flash fires regardless of the brightness
- Flash On + Red-eye Reduction: the flash fires regardless of the brightness with a pre-flash for red-eye reduction
- Flash Off: the flash does not fire regardless of subject brightness
Magnifying Images: Single images can be magnified up to 10 times in playback mode. You can gradually magnify the image in steps starting at 1.1x. The Quick Zoom feature automatically magnifies the image at 10x. While the image is magnified, you can use the 4-way controller to move around in the magnified area.
Slide Show: The Ricoh WG-4 allows you to play back still images one at a time in slide show fashion. You can adjust the interval (3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec, or 30 sec) and the screen effects (fade, wipe, checker, random, or no effect). A sound effect can be added during slide transitions, if desired.
Thumbnail: You can display multiple thumbnail images on the LCD monitor. You can choose the number of images to be displayed in the monitor: 6 or 12. Images can also be displayed by folder or in a calendar display.
Image Editing: The Playback Mode Palette lets you perform playback and editing functions on recorded images and movies. Some of the functions include: Image rotation, Small Face Filter, Ink Rubbing Filter, Collage, Digital Filter, HDR Filter, Original Frame, Resize, Cropping, Image Copy, Protect, Red-eye Edit, Slideshow, and DPOF.
HDMI: The WG-4 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV. A Micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required (sold separately). You can set the HDMI output resolution to 1080i, 720p, 480p (NTSC), 576p (PAL), or Auto, corresponding to the maximum resolution of the AV device.
PC/AV: The proprietary PC/AV terminal can be used to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied I-USB7 cable. The terminal is USB 2.0 High-Speed compatible. You can also connect the camera to a TV using an optional I-AVC7 AV cable. The cable has composite video and mono RCA audio plugs. The AV output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
Lithium-Ion Battery: The Ricoh WG-4 is powered by the D-LI92 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V / 925mAh / 3.5Wh). The battery charges in approximately 180 minutes using the supplied D-PA135 AC adapter. The recording and playback capacity with a fully charged battery is as follows:
- Normal Shooting: 240 images
- Movie Recording: 65 minutes
- Playback Time: 200 minutes
MediaImpression 3.6.2 LE (Windows) / 2.2 LE (Macintosh): The WG-4 comes with MediaImpression software for Ricoh on CD-ROM. With the software, view, manage, and edit the images and movies.
Compatible Operating Systems: The MediaImpression software for Ricoh is compatible with the following operating systems:
- MediaImpression 3.6.2 LE (Windows):
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- MediaImpression 2.2 LE (Macintosh): Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
- Connecting the camera as a removable disk: Windows XP (SP3), Vista, 7, 8, and Mac OS X 10.4-10.8