Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Turn your iPhone 5® into a high-quality audio recorder with the Zoom iQ5. The iQ5 microphone array can connect via its Lightning connector to your compatible iPhone 5, iPad®, iPad mini®, or iPod touch®. And once connected, you'll be amazed at what it can do. The mic array swivels with left and right channels clearly marked, so you can record with your device oriented horizontally, vertically, or even lying face up on a table.
The Zoom Handy Recording App provides easy-to-use recording and editing options.
Built-in controls for optimal recording
The iQ5 has two microphones — a directional mid mic to cover the front, and a bidirectional side mic to cover the sides. A slider on the iQ5 lets you adjust the balance of these mics for wider or narrower stereo pickup. You can also use the iQ5 as an audio mic that records what you point it at, or as a video mic to get high-quality audio when you use your Apple portable to shoot video.
A rotating wheel lets you manually adjust the recording level of the iQ5. There are also automatic record level settings you can switch to, plus a limiter for recording loud sound sources.
Zoom Handy Recording app
The Zoom Handy Recording app turns your Apple portable into a miniature recording studio. With the app, you can choose to record either in AAC format to save memory space, or 16-bit/44.1 kHz PCM for full, uncompressed sound. You can also edit your tracks with the app, as well as apply different EQs and other effects. You can even manually adjust your EQ settings. And when you're done, you can upload your finished recording to SoundCloud — all from within the Zoom app.
Power option and other extras
When connected to a power source, this lets you keep your Apple portable charged while the iQ5 is plugged into it. A built-in headset jack lets you monitor your audio input. And there's a mini USB charging port built into the iQ5. The iQ5 is compatible with most programs that support an external microphone, including Garage Band.
- Lightning connector - compatible with iPhone 5, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad (4th generation), iPad mini
- microphone array rotates to record with connected device in either horizontal or vertical position
- adjustable stereo width
- MIC Gain wheel lets you manually adjust gain
- three gain presets
- built-in limiter to avoid input overload
- headphone jack to monitor input
- mini USB charging port (charging cable included)
- compatible with most apps that support audio input from external microphone
- Zoom Handy Recorder app (free from iTunes Store)
- record in AAC or 16-bit/44.1kHz PCM
- edit your recording
- add effects and EQs
- upload to SoundCloud
- 2-5/16"W x 1-1/2"H x 2-7/16"D
- weight: 1.07 oz.
- warranty: 60 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Zoom iQ5 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great Product - Exceeded expectations
Superb sound and imaging. When recording a concert, It captures the full audio spectrum cleanly with punch and dynamic range. Great bass/sub bass without boominess, High frequencies are clean w/o harshness. Mids: Guitar and vocals are warm and detailed. Fine adjustments can be made using the ZOOM "Handy Recorder" APP.
Pros: Versatile, well built and adjustable.
Cons: Cannot be used with most cases.
Worth the money
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This lil guy is worth the money. It picks up the faintest noises. I had to turn off my ceiling fan while recording. It is very easy to use . Good quality product.
Handy Lil Recorder
Very easy to use interface and perfect clarity.
Pros: Perfect for all my recording needs.
Cons: None yet...
What's in the box?
- Condenser mic for Lightning connector Apple iOS device
- Operation Manual
Condenser Microphone for Lightning Connector Apple Devices: The Zoom iQ5 is a high-quality mid-side stereo condenser mic for your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad with Lightning connector; perfect for recording music and compact enough to be slipped into your pocket. The Zoom iQ5 simply connects to the Lightning connector of your iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPad (4/Mini/Air) or iPod touch (5th gen); running iOS 6.0 or newer.
Rotating Design: The iQ5 employs a unique rotating mechanism that enables audio recording with correct left-right stereo orientation whether used vertically or horizontally. Use it in standard "audio" position or simply rotate it to the "video" position in order to record video with the attached iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch held horizontally.
Dual Microphone Elements: Mid-side recording makes it easy for anyone to record in realistic (and fully mono-compatible) stereo. The iQ5 contains two microphone elements; a directional "mid" mic that captures audio coming from in front and a bidirectional "side" mic that covers ambient signal
Customizable Stereo Width: Stereo width can be customized to the precise recording situation; Set it to 90° to hone in on an individual sound, or 120° for a wider image that includes the surrounding ambience and reverberation. For even more control, record the mid and side mic signals as raw MS data so that you can later adjust the stereo width from 30° to 150° with Zoom's free Handy Recorder iOS app for iPad and iPhone.
Handy Recorder App: The Handy Recorder app allows you to record high-quality audio with your Apple iOS device. Use it with a ZOOM iQ5 mic, which is designed to capture audio of the best quality with iOS devices, and record using the high-fidelity linear PCM and space-saving AAC formats. This app includes normalize and divide functions that can be used on recorded files. In addition, it has compressor, EQ and reverb effects. Moreover, you can directly upload your recordings from Handy Recorder to the SoundCloud file-sharing site, allowing you to bring your creations to the world over the Internet.
- PCM (WAV)/AAC Recording: The Handy Recorder app allows you to record in linear PCM (WAV) 16-bit/44.1kHz format for CD-quality audio that accurately captures the full subtlety of acoustic instruments and spaces. When you need to conserve storage space for long recordings, you can instead record in compressed AAC format for smaller file sizes and faster data transfer.
- Effects: The Handy Recorder effects presets enable you to easily shape and control your sound. Add reverb for extra richness, or dynamics processing to give performances more punch. Six-band EQ enables full tonal control, and there's also a normalization feature that allows you to increase the volume of your recordings to the maximum possible level.
- File Division: With the Divide function, you can separate files into their important components. By deleting unnecessary sections, you can increase the amount of open space on your iOS device and extend the available recording time.
- Automatic Recording: The Handy Recorder's automatic recording function can be used to start and stop recording when a preset level is reached; convenient when recording meetings or speeches and in other situations when you want to capture sound only when it rises above a certain level.
Note: The iQ5 can be used with most iOS apps that support audio input from an external microphone. Use it with the standard iOS Camera app to record high quality audio to go with your video and then use streaming apps to broadcast live performances. Record vocals and instruments with music apps like Apple's GarageBand and take your Instagram and Vine creations to a new level of excellence
Precision Gain Control: The iQ5 makes it easy to capture great sound no matter what type of material you're recording. Dial in the exact input level you need with the analog-type MIC GAIN wheel, choose Auto Gain to automatically set the perfect recording level, or use the Limiter setting to avoid overloads.
Headphone Monitoring: The iQ5's dedicated 3.5mm headphone jack enables direct monitoring during both recording and playback.