Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The Libratone Zipp has a style and sound all its own. This portable powered wireless speaker system sports a real leather handle and comes wrapped in a fine Italian wool cover. Want to clean the cover? Just unzip it (that's how the system got its name, by the way) and you can slip it off.
High quality, room-filling sound
Libratone's innovative FullRoom™ design disperses sound equally in a spacious 360 degree sound field. An advanced digital signal processor (DSP) ensures the incoming audio stream is decoded accurately, retaining the detail of the source material.
Two 4" high-performance ribbon tweeters deliver clean mids and accurate highs. A 4" woofer fills in the low tones for satisfying bass. And with 60 watts total system power, the Zipp lets you play your music loud and proud.
The convenience of Apple AirPlay
Apple AirPlay technology lets you wirelessly connect your iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes® to the Zipp via your Wi-Fi® network. Stream audio from your Apple portable directly to the Zipp. Or stream music from the iTunes library on your laptop or desktop computer and use your Apple portable as a remote to make selections, as well as adjust volume.
More playback options
If you own Android™ devices, you still have music playback options. The Zipp can stream music wirelessly from DLNA-compatible computers, smartphones, and tablets. A stereo minijack input lets you play music from other portable devices. Connect your iPhone or iPad to the Zipp via USB, and play music from your Apple device while it automatically recharges.
- Italian wool cover with zipper
- real leather strap
- Wi-Fi wireless options
- Apple AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or computer
- DLNA for Android smartphones and compatible PCs
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the speaker via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- two 1" ribbon tweeters for clear highs and one 4" woofer for low tones
- frequency response: 60-20,000 Hz
- system power: 60 watts
- Libratone App available from iTunes® Store and Google Play
- setup guide
- volume control
- bass and EQ control
- room optimization
- USB port for Apple portables allows play through and charging
- stereo minijack input for portable devices
- AC power adapter
- built-in lithium ion battery provides up to 8 hours wired or 4 hours wireless operation
- 4-13/16"W x 10-5/16"H x 5-1/8"D
- weight: 4 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Libratone Zipp Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Sound exceedwd my expectations. I would buy another as gifts but alas they wer out I hope they restock..
Pros: Sound quality is a plus. Battery life slightly better than stated in literature. Customer support is the best I have ever experienced.
Cons: After activating the speaker I tried to update using my I phone. Update froze and did not complete. Was after usual customer service hours so I used email tech support. Got an answer within 5 5 minutes and problem was fixed within 10 minutes.
Solid, portable sound
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
the libratone zipp is a solid performer. the sound is impressive given the size. set up is relatively easy, and the direct connect option is a nice alternative to the sometimes spotty airplay.
Pros: -great sound -easy set up -super portable -good looking'
Cons: -battery life seems so-so -needs to be close to an airport device for consistent airplay playing
What's in the box?
- Wirless powered speaker
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- AC plug insert
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Libratone brochure
FullRoom Sound Technology: The Libratone Zipp wireless powered speaker employs two 1" ribbon-based tweeters, a single 4" midbass driver, and a 60-watt digital amplification with digital signal processing for premium sound. Unlike convention speakers, which have a "sweet spot" directly in front of them, FullRoom technology disperses sound in all directions providing a 360° soundstage.
Wireless Connectivity: Thanks to its built-in WiFi, the Libratone Zipp lets you wirelessly connect to your AirPlay-compatible Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or DLNA-compliant Android smartphone/tablet, as well as other DLNA-compliant servers/computers for music playback. You'll have access to stored music and music apps on select wireless streaming devices.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your stored music and music apps directly from your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad, or stream your stored iTunes library (not music apps) on your PC or Mac to the Libratone Zipp speaker system, over your home network connection. Apple Lossless technology ensures a perfect transfer from a music source to the Libratone Zipp. By downloading Apple's free Remote app onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 5.0 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- DLNA (for Android/Windows devices): The Libratone Zipp also lets you wirelessly stream stored music (not music apps) from your DLNA-compliant Android smartphone/tablet, Windows 8 Phone, Windows laptop/computer, or other DLNA-compliant servers/devices via your home's WiFi network. Your device may require a 3rd-party DLNA app from the GooglePlay Store.
- PlayDirect (for iOS and DLNA Devices): PlayDirect enables you to stream stored music (not music apps) from both AirPlay- and DLNA- compliant devices to the Libratone Zipp speaker without the need for an in-home Wi-Fi network connection. The Libratone Zipp speaker acts as its own WiFi hotspot for your iOS or DLNA device. Supported devices include Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (iOS 5.0+), Android smartphones/tablets (2.3.3+), laptop/computers (Windows or Mac).
Note: You are able to stream simultaneously to multiple Libratone speakers (sold separately) from your AirPlay-enabled laptop/computer in order to fill your home with music from your iTunes library. You can use Apple's free Remote app to control your computer's iTunes library from your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad. Not able to do this from music apps or other iOS and Android devices.
Wired Connectivity: The Libratone Zipp powered speaker is fitted with an Apple-certified USB port and a standard 3.5mm auxiliary input for a wired connection of external audio devices.
- USB Port: The Libratone Zipp supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its rear-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the speaker system's rear-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the speaker, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. Music navigation and song/artist information will still be done from your connected Apple device. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A); will not charge the iPad.
- Aux Input: A 3.5mm auxiliary input lets you connect and play music from other audio sources, such as a portable CD player or MP3 player with an audio output or headphone output jack.
Libratone App (for iOS/Android): Download the Libratone App onto your Apple iOS (4.3+) or Android (2.3.3+) device (from the Apple App Store or GooglePlay Store) and optimize your sound experience. The app allows you to enhance and customize your audio experience by feeding the app information on the placement of your sound system, whereby it automatically adjusts the sound to fit your room. Voicing functionality offers a variety of different settings to adapt the sound of the Zipp speaker. You can also update the Libratone sound system through the app when new features become available. Finally, the app allows you to use your iOS device to control volume when you use the AUX connection.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Libratone Zipp is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 12/18/2013).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|AirPlay||PlayDirect||USB||Audio||Video||iPod/iPhone||Libratone App||Track Info||Artist/Song Text|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Wool Cover + Leather Strap: The Libratone Zipp features a fashionable Italian wool cover for a distinctive look. The wool cover features a zipper and is interchangeable; additional wood covers sold separately from manufacture. It also includes a sturdy leather strap for portability.
Built-in Rechargeable Battery: The Libratone Zipp powered speaker features a built-in rechargeable battery. A full charge provides up to eight hours of playback with wired connection, and up to four hours using a wireless connection. An AC power adapter is included to charge the battery and supply power to the speaker. A full charge takes approximately 1.5-2 hours