Our take on the Crown XTi 4002
Power and protect your system
Crown's XTi 2 Series power amplifiers don't just make your speakers sing — they serve as vital lynchpins for your sound system, allowing your music to reach the masses without compromise or overexertion. The Crown name on the front of these amps ensures you've got a trustworthy power source that's loaded with innovative features, like advanced limiters that give you full control, plus integrated signal processing tools for dialing in the perfect tone. When it's time to raise the hair on the back of the crowd's neck, a Crown XTi 2 amplifier does the heavy lifting for you.
The rear of the XTi 4002 power amplifier offers XLR inputs, plus Speakon and binding post outputs, as well as loop-through XLR Link/Out output connectors.
The Crown XTi 4002 amplifier serves up 650 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms, 1200 watts per channel at 4 ohms, and up to 3200 watts in bridged mode. The proportional speed fan features three user-defined settings — normal, early, and full-speed — to help keep things cool within the front-to-rear airflow system. The universal tracking switch-mode power supply maintains efficiency and reliability. Steel construction with a cast aluminum front panel helps keep this dynamo robust under repeated use.
Up front the amp boasts independent level control knobs and LEDs, an on/off switch, LCD screen, and three menu control buttons. You'll be able to monitor the amp's presets and processing status through the LCD screen.
The Crown XTi 4002 offers balanced XLR inputs, as well as binding posts and Neutrik Speakon® outputs for the speakers, plus XLR loop-thru connectors for connecting additional amps. Integrated cast aluminum rack handles promote smooth transport between the van and the gig, and these amps are eminently rackable and stackable.
Push it to the limit
Looking for a way to push your sound to the edge without going too far afield? Crown's Peakx Plus Limiter technology gives you total control over threshold, attack, and release times, so you can dial in your sound at the boundaries without worry about excess stress on your system. It's defeatable, just in case you want to work around it.
The XTi 4002 gives you plenty of options for shaping your sound from the rack. It's got 6 parametric filters per channel for the input EQ, plus high- and low-pass crossovers. 8 parametric filters per channel on the output EQ give you further adjustments. You also get built-in delay and 30 total presets, 29 of which are user-defined.
Crown's SubHarmonic Synth feature takes your low-frequency signal, then "synthesizes" a new signal with the same characteristics, just one octave lower. The XTi 4002 sums the two signals and sends the result to your subwoofer. You can adjust for frequency, gain, and filter type to get the most out of your low end.
HiQnet for further adjustments
You can connect the XTi 2 Series amp to your laptop using the amplifier's USB plug, providing access to optional HiQnet Band Manager or Audio Architect software which you can download. These software programs allow you to tweak your amp's and system settings right from your laptop, and save the settings for future gigs. They can also give you real world feedback on how different components can fit into your system down the road.
See more info on this item
- 2-channel power amplifier with built-in digital signal processing
- power output:
- 650 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms
- 1200 watts RMS per channel at 4 ohms
- 1600 watts RMS per channel at 2 ohms
- 2400 watts RMS (mono) at 8 ohms in bridged mode
- 3200 watts RMS (mono) at 4 ohms in bridged mode
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (-1 dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB
- total harmonic distortion: 0.5% (20-20,000 Hz)
- independent right- and left-channel level controls
- LCD screen with sel/prev/next buttons
- digital signal processing:
- defeatable Peakx Plus Limiters for each channel
- input EQ: 6 parametric filters per channel
- high-pass and low-pass crossover filters
- output EQ: 8 parametric filters per channel
- 50 ms of total delay
- SubHarmonic Synth
- proportional speed fan with front-to-rear airflow and three user-defined settings
- initial power, DC voltage, short circuit, thermal, and current limiting protection
- front-panel LEDs indicate power, signal, -10dB and -20dB below clipping, ready, clipping, and temperature
- integrated cast aluminum handles
- balanced XLR inputs
- XLR Link/Out outputs to send signal to another amp
- binding posts and Neutrik Speakon outputs
- USB connection for HiQnet applications