Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
PreSonus can't write songs for you. But they can do just about everything else to make it easy for you to start recording music quickly. This home recording bundle is all you need — just supply your own computer, instrument, and inspiration. The equipment included here will fill in the gaps. Here's what you get:
The AudioBox USB recording interface connects to your computer and offers 2 inputs for microphones or electric guitars.
- AudioBox USB recording interface
The AudioBox USB is the link between your computer and your instrument and microphone. There are two front-panel combination inputs that can accept an XLR cable from a mic or a 1/4" instrument cable directly from an electric guitar or bass. Mic signals are routed through high-quality Class A preamps for clean sound. Connect headphones for monitoring while you record as well as studio monitors for playback during mixing. With headphones, use the built-in analog mixer to dial in your ideal monitor mix from the input signals and the computer-returned signals. Turn the Mixer knob all the way to "Inputs" for latency-free monitoring with no timing delays.
- StudioOne® Artist recording software
PreSonus designed their StudioOne digital audio workstation to be both powerful and easy to use. With a full suite of mixing and editing features, you can manipulate and fine-tune your recordings to produce professional-sounding songs. Create an unlimited number of tracks, apply effects with drag-and-drop simplicity, and choose from built-in or third-party plug-ins included with the software. Record high-resolution 24-bit files and mix down to MP3s for easy sharing and uploading to sites like SoundCloud.
The M7 condenser mic captures the fine details of your vocal performances.
- M7 condenser microphone
Capture vocals with more clarity and detail than many dynamic mics can replicate. This large-diaphragm condenser mic is designed for studio use, with the sensitivity to pick up the nuances of your vocal performance. Connect it to the included XLR cable, plug it into the AudioBox USB, and you're ready to start tracking. We recommend picking up a mic stand for connection to the included threaded adapter.
- HD7 headphones
These around-the-ear headphones are great for monitoring your performance as well as mixing and editing. The large dynamic drivers offer accurate sound while the semi-open earcups ensure a more open, natural presentation than similar closed-back models. Pop the 1/4" adapter on for connection to the AudioBox USB, or use the miniplug connector for listening with a smartphone.
- 2-input, 2-output computer recording interface
- 2 XLR/TRS balanced mic/line inputs for connecting microphones, electric guitars or basses
- Class A mic preamps with 48V phantom power for condenser microphones
- MIDI input/output (5-pin DIN) for use with an external MIDI controller
- two 1/4" TRS balanced left/right outputs for connection to powered monitors or a mixing board
- This interface does not have a line level input
- USB 1.1 port for connection to a computer (cable included)
- built-in headphone amplifier with 1/4" output
- Mixer fader offers both direct monitoring of analog input signals and incoming digital signal from recording software
- 24-bit analog-to-digital conversion with sampling rate of 44.1 or 48kHz
- compact, rugged steel chassis for desktop or portable use
- 5-1/2"W x 1-3/4"H x 5-1/2"D
- weight: 5 pounds
Studio One Artist 2 digital recording software:
- unlimited audio tracks, MIDI tracks, buses, and effects channels
- drag-and-drop functionality for intuitive use
- 26 effects and virtual instrument plug-ins
- includes 10GB of third-party plug-ins
- compatible with Mac® and Windows®
- large-diaphragm condenser microphone for capturing fine detail
- includes adapter for easy connection to a mic stand
- 9-foot XLR cable included
- comfortable, around-the-ear fit with soft earpads
- 50mm neodymium dynamic drivers and semi-open-back design deliver natural sound with punchy bass
- 98" cable with 1/8" miniplug
- 1/4" plug adapter included
- XLR and USB cables included
- compatible with the following operating systems: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista (32-bit SP1, 64-bit SP1) Windows 7 (32-bit SP1, 64-bit SP1), Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later
- minimum system requirements: USB 1.1 port; Intel® Core™ Duo or AMD Athlon™ X2 processor; 2GB RAM; 20GB hard disk space; DVD-ROM drive
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
PreSonus AudioBox™ Studio Reviews
What's in the box?
- Pro Audio USB/MIDI interface (AudioBox USB)
- M7 Microphone
- HD7 Headphone
- 9' Mic cable
- 98" Headphone cable
- 6' USB cable
- Mic stand adapter
- 2 Storage bags (mic/headphones)
- Studio One Artist 2 software on DVD-ROM
- Owner's Manual
Overview: The PreSonus AudioBox Studio consists an AudioBox USB/MIDI interface, Studio One Artist 2 recording software, M7 condenser microphone, and HD7 studio monitor headphones. All you need now is a computer with a USB connection, a few cables, powered speakers, and your instruments, and you are ready to record in the studio or in front of a live audience.
24-Bit/48kHz DAC: The AudioBox USB employs a high-definition 24-bit/48kHz analog-to-digital converter for exceptional sound quality and recording with up to 108 dB dynamic range.
XMAX Preamps: The AudioBox USB is equipped with PreSonus XMAX microphone preamplifiers for use with all types of microphones. The net result of the XMAX preamp design is high headroom, low noise, wide dynamic range, extended frequency response, and most importantly, musicality and transparency, with smooth highs, solid deep lows, and everything in between. XMAX preamplifiers are built with three key elements.
- High Voltage: The XMAX preamplifier runs on power rails of 30V. Most off-the-shelf, op-amp-based designs run on power rails of 10V to 18V. Higher-voltage power rails deliver more headroom, deeper lows, smoother highs, and a richer overall sound.
- Discrete Components: XMAX preamplifiers only use genuine transistors, resistors, and capacitors. Other Op-amps add noise, coloration, and harshness to a signal. This discrete design delivers ultra-low noise and transparency.
- Class A: Class A circuits have no crossover distortion and deliver purer, clearer, and more musical results than the Class AB designs that are found in many preamps.
Mic/Instrument Combo Inputs: The AudioBox USB offers two convenient front-panel mic/instrument combo inputs with global phantom power.
- Microphone Inputs: Both channels of the AudioBox USB have Mic/Instrument combo jacks. This convenient connector accepts either a 1/4" phone plug or an XLR plug.
- Instrument Inputs: The 1/4" TS connectors on channels 1 and 2 are for use with instruments (guitar, bass, etc.). When an instrument is plugged into the instrument input, the mic preamp is bypassed, and the AudioBox USB becomes an instrument preamplifier.
- 48V Phantom Power: The AudioBox USB provides 48V phantom power for the microphone input on each channel. Press the 48V button to enable phantom power for all microphone inputs.
Note: Active instruments are those that have an internal preamp or a line-level output. Active instruments should be plugged into a line input rather than into an instrument input. Plugging a line-level source into the instrument inputs on the front of the AudioBox 22/44VSL not only risks damage to these inputs but also results in a very loud and often distorted audio signal.
USB 1.1 Port: The AudioBox USB's USB 1.1 port is where you connect the included USB cable from the USB to your computer. The AudioBox USB is bus-powered via this connection and does not require an external power supply.
Controls: The AudioBox USB provides the following front-panel controls.
- Mixer: The Mixer knob allows you to blend your input signals with the playback streams from your computer. This allows you to monitor your input signal with zero latency. If the knob is positioned at 12 o'clock, the input signal and the playback stream will be equally balanced. Turning the knob to the left will increase the level of the input signal relative to the playback stream; turning to the right will increase the level of the playback stream relative to the input signal.
- Phones: The Phones knob controls the volume of the headphone output on the front of the unit.
- Main: The Main knob controls the output level for the Main Outputs on the back of the AudioBox, with a range of -80 dB to 0 dB.
Note: When creating monitor mixes using Virtual StudioLive software, it is important that you turn the Mixer knob all the way to the VSL position. Monitoring both the input signal and the playback stream will create a doubling effect that will make monitoring difficult
Main Outs & Headphone Out: The PreSonus AudioBox USB features two 1/4" main outputs. The output level of the Main Outs is controlled by the Main volume knob on the front of the unit. The AudioBox USB is also fitted with a 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones for monitoring privately.
MIDI I/O: MIDI stands for "Musical Instrument Digital Interface". MIDI inputs and outputs allow connection to, and communication with, external MIDI equipment. One function of these ports is MIDI sequencing but the MIDI protocol can be used for much more than instruments and sequencing.
Note: MIDI is not audio but is frequently used to trigger or control an audio source (such as a plug-in or synthesizer). It's important to ensure that your MIDI data is correctly sent and received by the appropriate hardware or software devices. If the devices generate audio, you may also need to return the audio to an AudioBox USB input channel.
Condenser Microphone (M7): Condenser mics are the overwhelming choice of recording studio professionals, due to the very small mass that must be moved by the in-coming sound wave. This means you can capture musical details, harmonics, and subtle nuances that would get lost with dynamic mics. From vocals to acoustic guitar recordings, you'll hear the difference. Large diaphragm microphones like the M7 tend to "warm up" a sound and are a great choice for recording vocals and for recording instruments when you want a "deep" sound. The M7 can be phantom powered from the AudioBox USB interface and comes with a mic-stand adapter, 9' mic cable, and cloth carry bag.
Studio Monitor Headphones: Whether you're monitoring, tracking or mixing, you can expect impressive sonic performance from PreSonus' high-definition HD7 headphones. These headphones take advantage of a patented, semi-open sound chamber to deliver exceptionally deep low frequencies with a balanced and yet powerful bass punch.
Studio One Artist 2 Software: Studio One Artist 2 lets you work quickly and stay focused on your studio or live mix. Incredibly easy to learn, it offers unlimited tracks and plug-ins and delivers features not normally found in entry-level DAWs. Access powerful editing tools without wading through menus. Load and save audio clips, MIDI files and, effects by drag-and-drop.
- Unlimited audio tracks, MIDI tracks, virtual instruments, buses, and FX channels
- Content browser with convenient sort options and preview player
- Real-time audio time-stretching and resampling
- Multitrack comping and Audio/MIDI editing
- Transient detection and editing and groove extraction
- Automatic delay compensation
- 26 Native Effects 32-bit effects and virtual instrument plug-ins
- 10+ GB of third-party software, loops, and instruments
Note: You can use the AudioBox USB with any audio-recording application that supports Core Audio or ASIO.
Computer System Requirements: Below are the minimum computer-system requirements for the AudioBox USB.
- Windows XP SP3, Vista x64/x32 SP2, Windows 7 x64/x32 SP1, Windows 8 x64/x32
- Intel Core Duo or AMD Athlon X2 processor (Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X4 or better recommended)
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
- Mac® OS X 10.6.8 or later
- Intel Core Duo processor (Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Core i3 or better recommended)
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB or more recommended)
Note: Your compatible Windows or Mac computer will also need a USB 1.1 port, Internet connection (for activation), DVD-ROM drive, Monitor (1024x768 or greater), 20GB hard-disk space, 7200 RPM internal/external storage drive.