Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The go-anywhere studio monitor
Ideally, you're sitting in the comfy chair in your own studio when you get ready to mix. If you instead find yourself on the go with a laptop and some basic gear, PreSonus E4.5 powered studio monitors provide accuracy and affordability in a portable package. With 4-1/2" Kevlar woofers encased in solid MDF cabinets, the E4.5 pair becomes a crucial part of a durable, reliable listening station you can use anywhere.
Flexible connection and control options
Each Eris E4.5 pair consists of one active speaker and one passive speaker. Primary connections are located on the back of the active speaker, which provides signal and power to the passive speaker through a regular speaker wire connection. One pair of balanced 1/4" TRS inputs and a pair of unbalanced RCA inputs give you flexibility for line-level input. A 1/8" jack on the front of the same speaker allows you to plug in an MP3 player to check how everything sounds on a mobile device.
When you're on the move, you don't always have control over the space you're working in, but the E4.5 has takent that into account. Output equalization is available via two variable tuning knobs, one for high frequencies, and another for mids. There's also a low cut switch offering flat response, or attenuation at 80 Hz or 100 Hz. If you can't quite manage ideal placement of the speakers in your workspace, the Acoustic Space switch helps you tune the action of the rear bass ports so the low frequencies are still hitting on all cylinders. If your work takes you overseas, the E4.5 also has an AC select switch so you can adapt to voltage requirements outside the U.S.
- 4-1/2" Kevlar woofer and 1" silk dome tweeter
- Class A/B amplifier with 25 watts x 2
- frequency response: 70-20,000 Hz
- peak SPL: 100 dB
- balanced 1/4" TRS
- unbalanced RCA
- 1/8" stereo auxiliary
- 1/8" headphone output
- front-panel volume control
- bass-reflex cabinet with rear port
- variable high-frequency shelf EQ with ±6 dB boost/cut at 10 kHz
- variable mid-frequency peak EQ with ±6 dB boost/cut at 1 kHz
- low-frequency cutoff switch (flat, 80 Hz, 100 Hz) with -12 dB/octave slope
- Acoustic Space switch (0, -2 dB or -4 dB) to adjust bass boost when placed near a wall
- AC select switch allows Eris E4.5 to be used outside the U.S.
- 6-7/16"W x 9-1/2"H x 7-1/8"D
- weight: 13 lbs./pair
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Hear what's happening in your music
These monitors have their own built-in amps for easy, foolproof setup. Having the amps matched perfectly to the drivers helps ensure flat, accurate response, so you can hear the details of your mixes. "Bi-amplified" or "tri-amplified" models use separate amplifiers for each driver for maximum fidelity. Tone-shaping controls are frequently built in to help you customize your monitors to suit your space.
PreSonus Eris E4.5 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great Self Powered Units.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I purchased a SONY XBR x810c 4K tv, the television was out of this world, and as with any Bravia XBR no issues with picture and display. The sound thats another story. I did look at sound bars and external speakers but all I wanted to do is go from the XBR's headphone/line out to a set of speakers. I did experiment with computer speakers and that was OK with a mini sub. I did purchase these PreSonus speakers and wow what a difference. I set the SONY to give me variable out via the OUT jack and set the PreSonus to 85% on the volume. The High pot on the speakers were adjusted a little high for good voice and speech reproduction, and the Low Cutoff was FLAT, MID was +2 and HIGH was +3. The Acoustic Space was 0dB. The clarity and the sound is just great ! No issues at all. It kicks in the bass for what I need during the program well not over thumping. I did not think that this would work this well for a 4K LED TV vs. a sound bar which really did not do the job for me. I will probably recommend all my friends and family to get these.
Pros: Great buy for the money ! fits a notch that it was not really designed for (Flat Panel TV sound distribution).
Cons: Weird stuff - YES ... just one it does hiss and you will hear it when you are right up to the speakers and within 3 feet of the units, I am 7+ feet watching TV so I dont hear it. If you use this in studio or computer speakers turn the HIGH pot below 0 somehwere (-2) and its gone.
What's in the box?
- E4.5 active studio monitor
- E4.5 passive studio monitor
- 59" Audio cable (with 3.5mm TRS plug on one end and 2 RCA stereo plugs on the other end)
- 59" Audio cable (with 3.5mm TRS plugs on each end)
- 6.5' Speaker wire (bare wire ends)
- Power cable
- 8 Self-adhesive foam feet
- Owner's Manual
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||4.5|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Full range Driver size||N/A|
|Enclosure type||Bass reflex|
|Built in amplifier||Y|
|RMS Power rating||25|
|Peak Power rating||N/A|
|Inputs||1/4" TRS, RCA|
|Parts warranty||1 Year|
|Labor warranty||1 Year|
|Maximum Peak SPL||100|
Active Two-Way Speaker: The PreSonus Eris E4.5 powered studio monitor speaker sports a 4.5" Kevlar low-frequency driver and 1" silk-dome tweeter powered by a 25W Class-AB amplifier. It can crank out a clean 100 dB SPL, peak. Frequency response is rated at 70 Hz to 20 kHz
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The E4.5 powered studio monitor speaker has a rear-ported enclosure made of vinyl-laminated, medium-density fiberboard (MDF).
Signal Inputs: The E4.5 has balanced 1/4" TRS and unbalanced RCA inputs, as well as unbalanced 1/8" inputs for your smartphone or MP3 player, giving you all the flexibility you need for system hookup. Spring clips terminals are used to connect the E4.5 active and passive speaker together with the included 6.5' length of speaker wire.
Controls: A combination of controls lets you create a linear response for accurate monitoring and enables you to simulate different listening environments, so you don't have to listen to mixes on your car, consumer computer speakers, and home stereo to check how the music sounds with different systems. Instead, you can adjust the Eris E4.5 studio monitor response and test your mixes without leaving your studio.
- Input Gain: The Input Gain sets the level of the speaker's input signal from your connected source before it is amplified.
- Acoustic Tuning EQ: The Eris E4.5 provides three EQ
controls in its Acoustic Tuning section; High, Mid, and Low Cutoff. These
controls enable you to fine-tune the monitors and even to broadly
approximate the sounds of different types of speakers so you can hear what
your mix might sound like.
- High: boosts or cuts all frequencies above 10 kHz by ±6 dB
- Mid: the Mid control is a peak EQ that lets you boost or cut a specified frequency band; in this case, a band about two octaves wide, centered at 1 kHz
- Low: rolls off the level of all frequencies below the specified frequency (80 or 100 Hz) at a slope of -12 dB/octave
- Acoustic Space Switch: In addition to the Acoustic Tuning controls, the Eris speaker offers a three-position Acoustic Space switch. This switch controls a second-order, low shelving filter that cuts the level of all frequencies below 800 Hz by a specified amount (-2 or -4 dB) to compensate for the boundary bass boost that occurs when the monitor is placed near a wall or corner. If you don't want to roll off those lows, set it to 0 dB.
Protection Circuitry: Any loudspeaker is subject to an assortment of environmental and performance problems, and the Eris monitor offers protection from the most common of these factors.
- RF Shielding: RF shielding protects against radio frequencies that could be induced into the signal and become audible.
- Thermal Protection: The Eris monitor also provides over-temperature protection to avoid heat-related issues.
- Short Circuit: Current-output limiting prevents damage should there be a short circuit on the speaker terminals.
- Subsonic Filter: Subsonic protection is used to filter out extremely low-frequency vibrations that could interfere with the woofer's performance.
- Soft Start Up: The integrated power amplifiers have a "soft startup" so that you don't get damaging pops in the speakers when you power them up.
Placement: Ideally, near-field monitors should be placed so that the tweeters are at the same height as your ears when you are mixing. The Eris E4.5 speaker can be placed vertically or horizontally; when placed horizontally, two E4.5 speakers should form a mirror image pair, with the tweeters on the outside. The speakers should be separated so that the tweeters form an equilateral triangle with your head. The monitors should be "toed-in" or angled, so that they are pointed at you, not pointed straight ahead.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.