Our take on the Sony HDR-MV1
The Sony HDR-MV1 gathers high-quality stereo audio.
Where's my audio?
Here's a compact, convenient video camera designed with musicians and stage performers in mind. The Sony HDR-MV1 is here to boost your chances of bringing home the best possible sound from your shoot. With tools like 120° X/Y twin-axis stereo microphones that capture a wide soundfield, to uncompressed linear PCM or Internet-ready AAC recording, the 'MV1 does far more than almost any camera in its class to up the audio side of your production equation. The camera also features an external 3.5mm microphone input so you can connect a variety of specialized professional microphones.
That's not to say they've ignored anything about the video capture. A 120° wide-angle Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® lens gets the entire scene into the frame. And the camera features smooth 1080/30p capture that saves to readily-available SD-family Micro memory cards or Sony Memory Stick™ Micro media.
Why one wide-angle?
So why does this camera feature a fixed wide-angle? Well, firstly, it's perfect just for setting up on stage or in your home studio and capturing the entire band — or getting up close to capture your and your instrument. But it's also optimized for people who like to shoot videos with multiple cameras. Think music video.
Much of today's video editing software uses the audio signal to accurately sync up shots so you can easily cut between cameras. In order to do that reliably you need a good, clear audio signal that's stronger than you might be able to get from a typical HD camcorder's on-board, mounted-on-the-top mic. And you need a wide field of view so you can, by comparing shots, make sure your close-up camera stays in good sync with your master audio. Sony's Audio Lip Sync functionality makes this simple, by ensuring accurate audio-to-video lock.
And with the built-in near-field communication (NFC) and the camera's own Wi-Fi® ad-hoc network, you can use Sony's free downloadable PlayMemories apps for iOS® and Android™ to remotely control, remotely view, and share files from your camera.
The multi-camera problem solver
In essence, the HDR-MV1 replaces two pieces of gear that are invaluable in every multi-camera video setup. a dedicated, high-quality audio recorder, and a wide-angle camera for a "master shot." Start your production and leave it running. It'll solve a lot of problems downstream before you're even aware they exist.
Storage and Formats:
- records high-definition video to optional Memory Stick Micro or Micro SD and SDHC cards
- maximum video resolution: up to 1920 x 1080/30p (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)
- 1/2.3" (7.7mm) back-illuminated Exmor® R CMOS image sensor for improved detail and lower noise
- fixed Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® lens (18.2mm equivalent)
- Audio Format : MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch, MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch (48kHz/16bit)
- 2.7" widescreen LCD
- built-in near field communication (NFC) initiates camera's own Wi-Fi® network for communicating with smartphones and tablets
- on-screen audio level display
- manual level adjustment for individual audio channels
- internal charging and data transfer via USB
- external 3.5mm microphone/line level input
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB cable for video transfer and charging
- rechargeable NP-BX1 battery pack
- lens cap and string tether
- micro HDMI output (cable not included) for watching your videos on an HDTV
- operating guide
- 1-1/8"W x 2-7/8"H x 4-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee