Our take on the Clarion CMS5
If you're over CDs…..
If you carry all of your music in your phone or other portable device, Clarion's marine-rated CMS5 digital media receiver is like a source unit and a multimedia hub all in one. This compact package consists of a 4.3" color LCD controller and a cleverly-designed, hideaway "black box" that lets you create a system that's custom-tailored to your on-the-water entertainment needs.
Link to what you like
The CMS5's hideaway box contains a built-in AM/FM/Weather Band tuner, plus a USB port for your iPhone, a second USB port for another device, and an auxiliary input. Built-in Bluetooth gives you hands-free calling and music streaming with just about any phone.
If you love Pandora® Internet radio, just connect your iPhone® or iPod touch® and enjoy all your favorite stations while you're enjoying a day on the water. You can even give your "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" with the Clarion's controls. You can also plug in a USB thumb drive or portable player and enjoy MP3, WMA, and MP4 files you've ripped from your CD collection.
The CMS5 works with the SiriusXM tuner (not included), so you can enjoy the wide variety of entertainment provided by satellite radio up to 100 miles offshore. It even supports iTunes® Tagging, Artist Alerts, Song Alerts, Game Alerts and Replay to keep you current on the music, news, sports, and entertainment that matter to you.
Start building your system here
The CMS5 is a terrific start toward building a great marine audio system. The receiver houses a built-in amp (19 watts x 4), and you can access bass and treble controls through your wired remotes. You'll appreciate the three pairs of preamp outputs when you add marine amps, along with the dual-zone outputs that allow you to play different sources in different parts of the boat.
A tough, versatile controller
With the CMS5's "black box" installed, you can control everything from the watertight wired controller. The simple, robust design and IP66-rated water resistance combine to give you maximum functionality and reliability, even in the tough marine environment. The 4.3" LCD lets you see what's playing or who's calling, plus you can watch downloaded video. When you plug your rear-vision camera into the dedicated RCA input on the box, you can even see what's behind you when you're backing out of the slip. Best of all, J1939 compatibility means that you can control this Clarion receiver through your boat's multi-function display.
Clarion invests thousands of hours into making their marine electronics tough enough to withstand salt water, heavy fog, blistering sunlight, and lashing rain. All that hard work leads to quality gear that's engineered to stand up to the extremes of a marine environment.
Note: Bluetooth compatibility with this receiver may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- marine digital media receiver
- package includes compact hide-away black box and 4.3"color LCD controller
- built-in Bluetooth
- built-in MOSFET amp (19 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak by 4 channels)
- global AM/FM/Weather Band tuner
- iPod/iPhone Direct Control via USB
- Pandora Internet radio
- Android Smartphone-compatible
- plays USB, MP3, WMA
- Beat EQ and Magna Bass EX
- dual-zone entertainment controls
- switchable high-pass and low-pass filters
- 3-band parametric equalizer
- SiriusXM-ready with iTunes tagging
- inputs: RCA audio/video input; dual 2.1 amp USB ports; RCA composite camera input
- outputs: composite video output; 8-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub, plus 2-channel rear zone)
- wireless remote included, marine wired remote ready
- J1939 interface port allows control of this Clarion from your boat's multi-function screen
- low power consumption mode when powered off
- long memory retention for presets
- meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (salt/fog exposure)
- meets or exceeds ASTM D4329 (UV exposure)
- Humi Seal-coated PCB