Combination video light and flash
Share this product:
Our take on the Sony HVL-HFL1
Sony's versatile HVL-HFL1 is actually two light sources in one. First, it's a video light ideal for brightening dimly lit footage and filling in unwanted shadows caused by direct sunlight. Plus, it's a flash for taking still pictures with your compatible Sony camcorder. This handy light is powered by your camcorder through the Active Interface Shoe, so it doesn't require its own batteries.
A single power switch lets you set the video light to On, Off, or Auto. In Auto mode, the video light turns on automatically when using the camcorder in a dark setting. In addition, this unit's front-mounted sensor automatically controls the brightness level of the flash to ensure proper illumination of your subjects.
- mounts directly to compatible Sony camcorders with the Active Interface Shoe including the DCR-DVD203, DCR-DVD-403, DCR-HC42, and DCR-HC90
- light is powered by the camcorder's battery through the accessory shoe
- lamp power consumption: 3.5 Watts
- video light illumination range: approximately 11 lux (at 10 feet)
- recommended flash range: 3 to 16 feet
- video lamp color temperature: 3,000 degrees K
- flash color temperature: 5,700 degrees K
- video lighting angle: 15 degrees
- average video light bulb life: approximately 100 hours (bulb is replaceable)
- weight: 1.9 ounces
- 1-1/4"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-7/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
For use only with compatible Sony camcorders equipped with the Active Interface Shoe and digital photo mode.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere.
That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team — they open the box,
verify contents, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs.
We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Features Overview: The Sony
HVL-HFL1 functions as a video light and flash
when attached to a compatible Sony camcorder.
Compatibility: The HVL-HFL1 can only be
used with a Sony camcorder that has the active interface accessory shoe
Controls: The Video Light's On/Off/Auto
functions are controlled from the Standby mode of the camcorder. When set to
Auto the video light comes on automatically in dark places.
Usage: The HVL-HFL1 can be used as a video
light or flash for your Sony camcorder.
- Video Light: provides bright lighting
for shooting video in dark places
- Built-in Flash: used for still
photography on a camcorder (compatible Sony camcorder must have PHOTO mode)
Power Requirements: Power to the Video
Light/Flash is supplied by the camcorder's active accessory shoe.
- Lamp Type: Xenon
- Connection Type: Sony's
Active Accessory Shoe
- Power source:
7.2 V DC
- Power consumption: 3.5 W
- Weight: 1.9 oz
- Video Flash Segment:
- Flash Life: Approx. 1,500
- Guide no.: equivalent to
approx. 10 (ISO100,m)
- Flash Shooting Distance:
3.25' - 16.25'
- Flash Lighting Angle:
45-degree (vertical), 60-degree (horizontal)
- Video Light Segment:
- Maximum Luminous Intensity: Approx.
- Lighting Direction: Horizontal
- Lighting Angle: Approx. 15-degrees
- Color Temperature: Approx. 3,000 K
- Average Life of Lamp: Approx. 100
- Illumination Range:
- 3.25 ft at 100 lux
- 6.5 ft at 25 lux
- 9.75 ft at 11 lux
- Continuous lighting time (these are
approximate lighting times with a fully charged battery):
Pack used in Camcorder
Review this product:
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences about this product. Please
be sure to focus your comments on the product itself. Read our
Review Guidelines for more information.
For a more in-depth review and enhanced detailed information on the
Sony HVL-HFL1, please visit the Crutchfield website product
Get live, personalized service from an expert
Crutchfield Advisor: Hi there.
We're happy to answer questions or provide additional info about this item.
Advisors also available at 1-888-600-3963