Our take on the Yamaha CD-S3000
An exquisite musical experience
The flagship of Yamaha CD players, the CD-S3000 delivers a musical experience so involving that even the subtlest nuances of the original performance come to life in your living room. Whether playing standard CDs and SACDs, or decoding the latest high-res music files streaming from your computer or other digital audio sources, the 'S3000 offers the perfect union of digital clarity and analog smoothness, musicality and warmth.
The CD-S3000 receives the same meticulous care and finish as Yamaha's world-class musical Instruments.
Crystal-clear sound with your digital sources
Along with its impressive disc-spinning skills, the CD-S3000 features optical, coaxial digital, and USB inputs for use as a stand-alone, high-resolution DAC. Its world-class ESS SABRE32 digital-to-analog converter runs in a dual-differential configuration so that even the most delicate musical details emerge from a stunningly silent background.
The player's analog and digital circuitry are completely independent, with each boasting its own dedicated toroidal power transformer. Separating the circuitry eliminates any loss of sound quality caused by interference and noise between the two — a common problem with single power supply designs. It's a costly effort, but priceless to your music.
To maintain optimal sonic performance the CD-S3000 offers fully balanced circuitry throughout, ending with XLR audio outputs to provide a low-noise, pro-quality connection to the compatible high-end amplifier of your choice, such as Yamaha's matching A-S3000.
Yamaha sweated the details, so you'll hear every detail
Sophisticated circuitry is just one aspect of this player's high-quality construction. Yamaha has paid particular attention to how those circuits interact. Crucial internal connections are made with screws rather than solder, and short cable runs are employed wherever possible — all to eliminate signal loss. Every circuit has been deliberately placed, including the digital and analog power supplies and their circuit boards, which are positioned on opposite sides of the player to prevent internal interference and achieve the ideal weight balance. It all represents Yamaha's dedication to preserving even the faintest musical details while offering sound marked by superior warmth and spaciousness.
A look inside the CD-S3000's interior highlights the exceptional build quality and shows off its high-quality components such as twin copper-shielded toroidal power transformers.
Beautiful inside and out...
Just like Yamaha's world-renowned concert grand pianos, the CD-S3000 is beautiful in appearance, sturdy in construction, and created with genuine craftsmanship to give music lovers listening enjoyment and pride of ownership. It was built from the ground up with meticulous care to draw out all the details in your music.
Starting with its thick aluminum faceplate and high-rigidity main chassis, this player provides a massive platform to help eliminate vibrations that can rob your music of its sparkle and presence. The 'S3000's newly designed custom drive mechanism is attached by heavy anchors to the chassis to achieve maximum mechanical rigidity and resistance to outside vibration. Then the transport is carefully fine-tuned to ensure perfect horizontal alignment.
These time-consuming, labor-intensive adjustments eliminate any minute tilting of the mechanism to achieve stable rotation and ultra-precise signal reading by the laser pickups. At the same time, this precise alignment helps prevent any vibration caused by rotation of the disc from affecting the circuit boards. Even the tray itself is made from high-rigidity aluminum to further reduce secondary vibrations due to resonance of the spinning disc and motor. Load a disc into this player's disc tray and you'll immediately appreciate the incredibly smooth, quiet operation.
...right down to its feet
Yamaha left no stone unturned in its quest to squelch vibration. Even the 'S3000's feet are engineered to improve sound quality. The four heavy-duty metal footers include your choice of spikes or pads to support the player's beefy 42-pound chassis. And each one is individually adjustable to ensure perfectly level and stable operation. It all adds up to a player of uncompromising performance and sound quality that will raise your system to a whole new level.
- stereo playback for SACDs, audio CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs (including MP-3 and WMA discs)
- rear-panel asynchronous USB input (type B) for audio playback of stored computer or streaming music files, including high-res files up to 24-bit/192 kHz (ASIO 2.3 Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is available as a free download from the Yamaha web site)
- ESS Technology ES9018 SABRE Reference Stereo digital-to-analog converter operated in dual-differential mode for superior signal-to-noise ratio
- rigid main chassis with left-right symmetrical construction improves anti-vibration properties
- high-precision disc mechanism with aluminum disc tray minimizes vibration
- fully balanced audio output stage with discrete circuitry greater accuracy and musicality
- height-adjustable feet with built-in anti-vibration spikes
- independently configured digital and analog circuits each with dedicated toroidal transformer-based power supplies
- solid 5mm thick aluminum top cover
- stereo RCA and balanced XLR outputs
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs for use in DAC mode
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs for CD
- SACD specs:
- frequency response: 2-50,000 Hz (-3 dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 116 dB
- dynamic range: 110 dB
- CD specs:
- frequency response: 2-20,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 116 dB
- dynamic range: 100 dB
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- weight: 42.3 lbs
- 17-1/8"W x 5-5/8"H x 17-3/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee