Our take on the Sonos PLAY:1
A world of music you can fit almost anywhere
If you have a wireless home network and a smartphone, then you're ready to start streaming music in any room in your home. All you're missing is Sonos, the easiest way to create a network of wireless music players throughout your home. Now, it's more affordable than ever to get in on the fun. The compact PLAY:1 offers easy setup, clear sound, and simple placement or wall mounting in almost any spot you'd like to liven up with some tunes.
How much music can you access with the PLAY:1? How about pretty much any music available anywhere? Get Pandora® Internet radio, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Last.fm, Rhapsody®, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations. The compact Sonos PLAY:1 lets you enjoy music from the Internet as well as songs stored on your home computers or portable devices — without filling your room with audio gear. It's perfect for small rooms and cozy corners, and setup is as easy as pushing a button. You can even pair two PLAY:1 speakers and configure them for rich stereo sound.
Expand to any (or every) room
Place Sonos players like the PLAY:1, as well as the larger PLAY:3 and PLAY:5, in every room where you want to listen to music. The players connect to the Internet and communicate with each other using Sonos' proprietary wireless network. If you have your router in a room where you won't have a Sonos player, use a BRIDGE to connect to your network. Once you have one speaker connected, you're free to add others without connecting them to a BRIDGE or your router.
You probably already own a Sonos controller
You can use an iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or Android™ device to control any and all Sonos players. A free download turns your smartphone or tablet into a full-fledged Sonos controller. Easily navigate and search through playlists and tracks stored on your computer, or select an Internet radio station. Create customized playlists on the fly for individual rooms or for playback over your entire Sonos system. You can also mute or adjust the volume of each of your players.
Don't have your portable device handy? Press the "Play/Pause" button on top of the PLAY:1 to pick up the music where you left off.
Play music stored on your Apple® or Android™ portable device
Sonos now gives you convenient wireless access to music and podcasts stored on iOS and Android devices, for playback throughout your entire Sonos system. This function works on Apple devices running iOS6 or later (see below for full list of compatible Apple devices) as well as Android smartphones and tablets. The system even lets you connect multiple devices at once. For instance, you can queue up songs from your iPhone® to play in the kitchen while you cook, and your spouse can stream a podcast in the den on his smartphone at the same time.
Spotify®, Pandora®, SiriusXM, and more at your fingertips
The Sonos system works seamlessly with a host of Internet-based digital music services, including Rhapsody, Pandora, last.fm™, Slacker, Songza, and SiriusXM Internet Radio. Spotify offers instant access to millions of songs and seemingly endless playlists. SiriusXM Internet Radio gives you access to over 80 channels of programming. Every Sonos system includes free 30-day trials of these two services, so you can start listening the moment you take it out of the box. Pandora and last.fm create customized Internet radio streams just for you — all you have to do is enter the name of your favorite song or artist. And because Sonos connects directly to the Internet for all of these music services, you don't even have to turn on your PC.
MOG — over 15 million songs, available instantly
MOG is an award-winning online music service with one of the largest and best-sounding streaming catalogs in the industry. It offers all of its music in the 320 kbps MP3 format — that higher bit rate translates to better sound. In fact, we use it frequently in the Crutchfield Labs to test high-end audio gear. MOG's "Primo" service ($9.99/month) gives you unlimited, ad-free access to their extensive music library of over 15 million songs on a wide range of devices including Sonos® network music players, Samsung TVs, your computer, iPad®, iPhone®, and Android™ devices.
Expand your Sonos system
You can have up to 32 Sonos music players in your system, and each one can play an independent selection of individual tracks or playlists. Listen to jazz in the den while your spouse plays rock music in the kitchen, or pump a single playlist of songs throughout the entire house during a party.
- two built-in amplifiers and two built-in speakers (one midrange driver and one tweeter)
- communicates with other Sonos players via proprietary Sonosnet 2.0 wireless technology, or wired Ethernet connections
- Sonosnet 2.0 features a greater wireless range than previous version
- control your Sonos system with your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or Android device with the free app
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, AAC+, WAV, FLAC, ALAC (Apple Lossless), AIFF, and Ogg Vorbis files (firmware is upgradable to support future audio formats)
- compatible with protected WMA files from Urge, AOL, and many other music download sites
- not compatible with protected AAC files from iTunes
- play music and podcasts stored on Android or Apple portable devices; Apple devices include an iPhone (3GS or later), iPad (iPad 2 or later), and iPod touch (4th generation or later)
- plays MP3 and WMA streaming Internet radio stations
- compatible with most online music services, including Spotify®, MOG, Amazon Cloud Player, SiriusXM, and Rhapsody® (subscription required for most services)
- plays personalized Internet radio stations from PANDORA® and Last.fm
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- configure two PLAY:1 speakers for stereo playback or use them as rear channels with a PLAYBAR and SUB for 5.1-channel surround sound
- top-panel controls for playback and volume allow you to play, pause, and skip tracks on the speaker
- compatible with Windows® (XP Service Pack 3 or higher operating system)
- compatible with Mac® (OS X 10.6 or higher operating system)
- 1/4" threaded mount for wall placement
- Ethernet port for connection to a wireless router (cable included)
- AC adapter included
- 4-3/4"W x 6-3/8""H x 4-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet connection