Our take on the Garmin nüvi® 2597LMT
Voice-activated navigation and Bluetooth® means safer driving
Garmin's nüvi 2597LMT portable navigator gives you the confidence to travel to and within unfamiliar locales, with spot-on guidance that won't waste your time or gas. And even if you're just using it to run errands or commute to work, you'll still find its ability to find shorter routes tremendously beneficial. If you're safety conscious, the nüvi 2597LMT features voice-activated navigation that recognizes your speech, so you can keep your hands on the wheel. And Bluetooth connectivity not only lets you enjoy hands-free calling with your compatible phone, but you can also wirelessly connect to Garmin's free app for Android™ phones to get valuable real-time info the navigator can't provide.
Voice-activated navigation is quite simple: with one spoken command, you can "wake up" the navigator to respond to your voice. You can then search through menus on the 5" screen, then input addresses and destinations without touching the screen. The Garmin will respond to your words intelligently. Built-in Bluetooth lets you sync your compatible phone to the navigator for hands-free conversations you carry through the nüvi's integrated microphone and speaker.
Android phone users can download Garmin's free Smartphone Link app to their device and connect to the nüvi 2597LMT. When paired, the navigator can use your phone's existing data plan to share information such as saved and recently found locations, where you parked, and your current destination. You can then use your phone to give you step-by-step directions back to your car in a large parking lot, for example, or import destinations to your navigator from your phone. You can also launch Garmin Live Services from the app, which give you local weather reports, live traffic updates, real-time photos from traffic cameras, area gas prices, and nearby parking help. Some Garmin Live Services require a subscription. Data charges may apply for using Smartphone Link — you'll want to check with your service provider.
Hear things clearly
The nüvi 2597LMT offers Garmin Real Directions with Garmin Real Voice, a combination that helps keep you relaxed as you drive. Real Directions voice prompts speak the instructions to you like a friend would, using easy-to-see landmarks, buildings and businesses, and traffic lights, rather than streets with tiny signs that you might not see in time. With Real Voice technology, you'll hear directions spoken in a personable, human-sounding voice that you'll easily understand.
Eye-catching 5" screen
The nüvi 2597LMT's 5" touch display makes it easy to follow along, and you can view its maps in either portrait or landscape orientation. You'll have access to preloaded maps of the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and several Caribbean islands, along with millions of points of interest; you can even add your own favorite stopping points. You can find and select businesses right on the map screen without having to go through time-wasting menus. Speed limit displays with visual warnings on major roads help keep you in check, and you'll even be notified of school zones. And with one tap of the screen, you can pull up details for services that lie ahead on your route, including restaurants, gas stations, and more. You also get free updates on traffic along your route and quick solutions for avoiding delays, as well as up to four free map updates per year to keep you updated on road changes.
Stay on course
Garmin incorporates several helpful visual tools to keep you on the correct path:
Active Lane Guidance shows you colored arrows for the correct lane for an upcoming turn.
Bird's Eye junction view gives you a detailed look at complicated interchanges from above, to give you a better perspective.
photoReal junction view displays realistic images of intersections, including signs and surrounding terrain, along with colored arrows for the correct lane.
You'll see all three visual features in a split-screen with your overall route so you won't lose sight of what's further down the road.
The nüvi 2597LMT features free lifetime traffic updates using Garmin's Traffic service, which is more expansive and timely than ever. Garmin Traffic incorporates data from active devices on the road, historical traffic patterns, and other factors like construction, concerts, and sporting events to give you a comprehensive look at congestion in most metropolitan areas, including a few cities in Canada. Garmin Traffic is also voice activated, so it can respond to the sound of your spoken words. Best of all, you won't have to pay a penny more for this service over the life of your nüvi.
- portable GPS navigator
- nüMaps Lifetime download card (receive up to 4 map updates per year without additional fees)
- includes Garmin Traffic receiver for free lifetime traffic info
- suction-cup windshield mount
- cradle, car power adapter, mini-USB cable and built-in rechargeable battery with up to 2.5 hours of life
- 5" (480 x 272 pixels) display with touchscreen control
- accepts spoken commands and voice address entry
- 10 million points of interest (allows custom points of interest)
- preloaded with maps for the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus most of Mexico and several major Caribbean islands
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- Real Directions gives instructions using landmarks, buildings, and traffic signals
- Real Voice announces directions in human-like voice
- trafficTrends provides routes based on actual historic travel times due to daily traffic
- Active Lane Guidance with voice prompts
- Bird's Eye and photoReal junction views
- speed limit and school zone indicators
- Up Ahead feature informs of nearby services
- multi-destination routing: route optimization
- transport modes: auto, pedestrian
- Bluetooth for making and receiving hands-free calls with your compatible cell phone
- works with Garmin Smartphone Link app for Android phones
Other features and specs: