Looking for tv sound solutions?Start shopping
Introduction to Home Theater & TV Sound
Today's HDTVs can produce stunning pictures, with lifelike color and detail. But they tend to fall down on the job when it comes to big, convincing sound. That's why many people rely on a separate sound system to provide realistic, engaging audio effects that can match the quality of their picture.
You've got plenty of options for getting good sound, from simple one-speaker systems to full multi-speaker home theater systems. In the guides below, we've answered many commonly asked questions about these popular TV sound setups. We've also got more detailed explanations to help you understand topics like surround sound and HDTV. Most important, we'll help you get an idea of what system is right for your room, and what's going to be involved when hooking it up.
What Are Your Audio Options?
- Learn about four ways to add great sound to your TV.
- Get the scoop on single-speaker "sound bar" systems.
- Find out about the components you need for home theater.
- Understand exactly what each speaker in a home theater system does.
- Learn how Dolby® Digital, DTS® and other formats work their magic.
- Compare formats in this handy surround sound chart.
Need to Plan Your Viewing Room?
- Learn all about choosing your TV's screen size and placing your TV in a room.
- Check out diagrams and tips on home theater speaker placement.
- Read tips on connecting speakers without having wires all over your floor.
- Find out what kind of speaker wire you should be using.
- Get some tips on how to manage all of your cables.
- Become familiar with the TV audio and video connections available to you.
- Get some answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.