HDTV: An Introduction
|The usual response from a new HDTV owner is, "Wow, I had no idea what I was missing." If you're still missing out on the HD experience, we want to help.|
There are a lot of decisions to make when choosing a new HDTV. What's the best screen size for your room? Which TV technologies best fit your viewing habits, and which features can you live without? The videos and articles listed below will help you answer those questions, and offer tips on how get the best picture on your TV once you get it home. You can also watch our videos about HDTV in our video library, including shopping guides, how-to's, and product reviews.
And don't forget, you can always get good TV advice from one of our expert advisors.
- Our HDTV FAQ is a great place to start — it covers HDTV basics, as well as new technologies like 3D TV and LED-backlit LCD TVs.
- Read about how to get HDTV signals to your TV.
- Make sense of terms like 1080p with our article and video on HDTV resolution.
- Watch a video on what to look for when shopping for an HDTV.
- Watch a video covering easy ways to get HDTV signals.
- Learn about what you need to get 3D at home and how it works.
- Check out our extensive 3D TV FAQ for more details, including what you'll be able to watch in 3D and troubleshooting tips.
- A good starting point is our quick TV comparison chart.
- Deciding between LCD and plasma? Watch our video for a quick rundown of the pros and cons of each, or check out our article for more in-depth info.
- Read about how projectors create the biggest home theater images available.
- Watch our short video to learn about what contrast ratio means for a TV's picture quality, and how to use contrast ratio numbers when comparing TVs.
- Check out our short video to learn about today's Internet-ready TVs.
- Shopping for an LCD TV? Watch our video to learn about faster 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rates, and what they mean for the performance of your HDTV.
- Learn about the differences between fluorescent and LED backlighting in LCD TVs in this short video.
TV connections and setup
- Find out how to connect your TV for the best picture quality with these tips on video connections.
- Read our guide to choosing and installing an antenna for HDTV. Over-the-air HD broadcasts are free.
- Get familiar with HDMI connections — the most future-ready type of high-definition hookup.
- Watch our video on wall mounting your flat-panel TV to learn the basics of what's involved, and find more detailed instructions in our how-to guide.
- Read our article on choosing the right wall mount for your setup.
Getting the best picture and sound
- Learn how to optimize your TV's picture for a variety of video sources, and dig into these additional tips focused on improving the look of non-HD sources on your HDTV.
- Bothered by the "black bars" that sometimes appear on your HDTV's screen? We'll explain why you see them and offer some solutions.
- Want to enjoy better sound with your TV? Learn about four ways to make it happen.