Our take on the Sharp LC-70UD1U
A 4K TV loaded with "firsts"
The LC-70UD1U is Sharp's first Ultra High Definition TV. It's also the world's first 70" 4K TV, and the first to earn THX® 4K certification. Getting THX certified has never been easy, but to be 4K-certified, the LC-70UD1U had to pass over 400 rigorous laboratory tests for both HD and 4K picture quality.
Watching movies, sports, or just your favorite shows — in 2D or 3D — on a screen this large and detailed is much more intense and immersive than what we're used to. The sheer visual impact is similar to what you experience with a projector system. But projectors will only truly look their best with the lights off, while the LC-70UD1U's edge-lit LED backlight produces a crisp, bright picture in virtually any room lighting.
Sharp's Revelation 4K Upscaler
If you've been looking at 4K TVs you're probably already aware that there's very little true or "native" 4K content available. And until the content catches up with the hardware, owners of Ultra HD TVs will be relying on their TV's ability to upconvert HD and other video formats to 4K. Sharp's Revelation 4K Upscaler takes a two-step approach to this critical task. First, a dual-core processor fine-tunes the original signal for optimal picture quality, removing as much digital noise and other artifacts as possible. Next, the upscaler analyzes and intelligently enhances the signal to create a 4K (3840 x 2160-pixel) image.
The sophistication of Sharp's upscaler proved itself in THX's exacting tests. Basic qualities like color performance and motion processing received intense scrutiny. And when it came to analyzing image detail for movies, THX's battery of tests made certain that essential film elements such as grain and texture weren't "smoothed over." Sharp's unique Integrative Cognitive Creation (ICC) technology is able to reconstruct images that look more realistic than other upconverted pictures.
The sound is more detailed, too
With a picture this big and spectacular, you'll probably be using the LC-70UD1U with a high-quality surround sound system. But if you're not, you'll be happy to know that Sharp put some serious effort into this TV's sound capabilities. The 6-speaker system includes separate midrange drivers and tweeters for the right and left channels, along with Sharp's dual-woofer DuoBass system.
This is one Smart TV
The LC-70UD1U has features and capabilities that are similar to other Wi-Fi-equipped Smart TVs, plus a couple of cool extras. Sharp's intuitive SmartCentral™ interface lets you quickly connect to your home's network for more entertainment choices. Stream movies and TV shows from Netflix®, indulge in video snacking at YouTube®, and keep the music flowing with Rhapsody® and Pandora® Internet radio. Here's a feature we haven't seen before: the ability to display a split-screen view with a video source and web streaming. Makes it easy to surf the web while you watch TV.
Learn about the ins and outs of HDMI connections at the Crutchfield Learning Center.
Shop our selection of HDMI cables.
- 69.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, metallic black finish and arc stand
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- the only THX® 4K-certified TV passed over 400 laboratory tests to meet the highest picture quality standards for HD and 4K
- displays 3D images when you wear Sharp's active 3D glasses (two pairs of glasses are included)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- AquoMotion 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- Wallpaper Mode lets you display pre-installed artwork or your own photos in an elegant 4K picture frame
- Internet-ready Smart TV plays Netflix video and more (subscription required for some services)
- supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix and Vudu (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- dual-core processor for improved web browsing and app multitasking
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- Sharp Beam Wi-Fi mirroring send content wirelessly from a compatible smartphone to this TV
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- Skype-compatible (requires Sharp camera sold separately)
- 6-speaker DuoBass audio system (10 watts x 2 plus 15 watts for woofer)
- multibrand remote control
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone as a remote control
- AQUOS Link simplifies control of compatible Sharp components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
Connections and Dimensions:
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 HDMI
- 1 component video
- 2 composite video
- PC input
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (may only pass 2-channel audio from HDMI-connected sources)
- stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 2 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable stand
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 62-3/16"W x 37-7/16"H x 4-1/2"D (39-1/8"H x 16-1/2"D on stand)
- weight: 121.3 lbs. with stand; 103.6 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee