Our take on the Niles C5-DAWM
If you're putting together a multi-room audio system that involves longer cable runs between rooms, check out the Niles C5-DAWM. This clever device uses durable, inexpensive CAT-5 cable to send digital audio signals to another room in your house. Plus, it installs neatly in your wall for a décor-friendly look.
The 'DAWM is a great option for homes with an existing CAT-5 network, since you won't have to install any new in-wall wire. And it delivers crisp, detailed sound, even over cable runs of up to 600 feet.
How it works
You'll need to purchase two coaxial digital audio baluns to set up a fully functioning system. You can use two C5-DAWMs, or pair one with a
small component-style model. Installation is straightforward just connect one of the baluns to each end of your in-wall CAT-5 cable, then mount them in your wall. Place one in your main room, and connect a CD/DVD changer or other digital audio source using a coaxial digital audio cable. Install the other in your remote room. Then hook it up to an A/V receiver via its coaxial digital audio input. Now you can send audio from your main room to your secondary room.
What is a balun?
A balun gets its name by converting signals between balanced and unbalanced lines. Balanced cables can carry signals over much longer distances than unbalanced lines because of their superior noise rejection. The C5-DAWM balun converts audio signals between balanced CAT-5 connections and unbalanced coaxial digital audio connections.
- two Niles coaxial digital audio baluns required for a fully functioning setup
- coaxial digital audio input/output with gold-plated RCA connector
- shielded CAT-5 jack
- maximum range: 600 feet
- not compatible with Wi-Fi® adapters
- cannot share CAT-5 cable with other signals
- installs flush in wall
- fits standard single-gang junction box
- Decora wall plate included
- coaxial digital audio cables required for installation (sold separately)
- 2-3/4"W x 4-1/2"H x 2-1/2"D
- warranty: 10 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee