About the Bose® Lifestyle® 28
The Bose Lifestyle® 28 system offers a sleek solution to all of your home theater needs the only other component you need to add is a TV! The sound of this system's five tiny speaker arrays and hideaway Acoustimass® bass module will amaze you, filling your room with deep, rich Bose sound for movies and music.
The sound is perfectly tailored to your room and furnishings, too, thanks to the included ADAPTiQ audio calibration system. It's incredibly easy: Just put on the supplied headset equipped with built-in microphones, sit in 5 of your favorite spots to enjoy music and home theater, and the ADAPTiQ system does the rest! The included Bose proprietary software analyzes a series of test tones, allowing your Lifestyle® system to adjust itself for optimum performance in your room.
The Lifestyle® 28's media center houses a DVD/CD player that also plays audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, and even MP3 CDs! It also contains an AM/FM tuner with 50 presets for your favorite stations. Built-in decoding for Dolby® Digital and DTS® provides you with incredible DVD home theater thrills, while Bose's proprietary Videostage® 5.1 steering circuitry creates exciting 5.1-channel sound from sources like CDs, VHS tapes, and even mono TV broadcasts. And you can control the system plus your TV, VCR, and cable box or satellite receiver from anywhere in your home using the multibrand RF remote.
The media center includes enough digital and analog inputs to allow connection of up to four external devices (such as a VCR, your TV's sound, a tape deck, and a CD mega changer), plus optical and coaxial digital outputs that allow you to send direct digital signals to a CD-R or MD deck. You also get one video pass-through for a composite, S-Video, or component video source, a very handy feature if your TV only has one set of inputs.
To maximize your entertainment options, the Lifestyle® 28 system also offers dual-zone capability. Note: Dual-zone use requires a Zone 2 Stereo Adapter Kit; an additional set of Bose powered speakers or a Bose Wave® radio; and an extension cable available directly from Bose. Extension cable is already included with optional Lifestyle® powered speakers.
Plus, save 10% on select Bose® products when you add them to your order for the Lifestyle 28! Click here for details.
- Media center:
- DVD/CD player plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding
- Bose Videostage 5.1 steering circuitry
- AM/FM tuner with 50 presets
- multibrand RF remote
- dual zone capability
- 1 video input/output (composite, S-video, or component video component video input requires a special adapter which must be purchased directly from Bose)
- inputs and switching for 4 audio sources (4 analog, 4 coaxial digital, 1 optical digital)
- stereo analog output
- digital outputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 15-3/4"W x 3-3/4"H x 11-1/2"D
- swiveling dual-cube design
- 6-1/4"H x 3-1/8"W x 4-1/8"D
- automatic tonal adjustment for home theater and music applications
- 8"W x 16-1/8"H x 24-15/16""D
- ADAPTiQ audio calibration system automatically adjusts your Lifestyle® system for your specific room and furnishings
- warranty: 1 year
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Satellite speakers (front left/right, center, surround left/right):
Acoustimass bass module:
What's in the box:
- Black Acoustimass module
- 5 Black dual-cube speakers
- Silver and black Media Center
- White RC28T1-27 wireless remote control
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- Media Center power supply with attached 6' cord (Output:33V/1.1A Max)
- AM loop antenna
- AM antenna base
- FM wire antenna
- 7.8' AC power cord (for use with Media Center power supply)
- 5.7' Acoustimass module AC power cord
- 5.7' S-video cable
- 6' RCA composite video cable
- 6' RCA stereo audio cable
- 30' audio input cable (has a phone-type jack on one end and an 8-pin male connector on the other end)
- Three 19.9' front speaker cables (each cable has a male RCA connector on one end and tinned wire on the other end)
- Two 49.7' surround speaker cables (each cable has a male RCA connector on one end and tinned wire on the other end)
- TV on/off detector with attached 6' cord (cord is terminated with a mono mini-jack)
- 2 Self-adhesive Velcro mounting strips (for mounting TV on/off detector)
- IR emitter with attached 6' cord (cord is terminated with a stereo mini-jack)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet (for the Acoustimass module)
- 5 Self-adhesive rubber pads (for Jewel Cube speakers)
- Lifestyle Home Entertainment System Setup DVD
- Lifestyle 28 and 35 System Update Disc
- Operating Guide
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Bose Product Registration & Warranty Information
- AM antenna instructions
- Quick set up guide
- "Our Commitment To You" letter
- List of worldwide Bose corporate contacts
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bose® Lifestyle® 28
Media Center: The stylish media center is only slightly larger than a notebook computer, but is packed with features. It includes an integrated DVD player and AM/FM tuner and provides access to more of today's most popular audio and video content, including CD, CD-R/RW, PCM, Digital 5.1, MP3 on CD and MPEG-2. It incorporates advanced radio frequency (RF), infrared (IR) and TV power sensing, and works with the universal radio frequency remote for control integration.
Acoustimass Module: Innovative technology within the improved Acoustimass module in the Lifestyle 28 system combines to deliver the clarity of pure bass reproduction down to the lowest frequencies, even at the loudest levels. The design allows prodigious airflow at the lowest bass frequencies, working to recreate bass so natural and pure, its source is almost impossible to localize.
Direct/Reflecting Cube Speaker Arrays: These cube speaker arrays can be swiveled, allowing you to reflect sound off the walls as well as project it directly into the room. The result is full, spacious sound throughout the room, not just in one small "sweet spot."
Surround Sound Decoding: The Media Center has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. For analog sources, Bose's Videostage 5 decoding circuitry (see below) is included.
Videostage 5 Decoding Circuitry: While digital 5.1 decoding takes the home theater experience to a new level, you can enjoy it only from properly encoded materials like DVDs, digital satellite broadcasts and HDTV. Unlike conventional digital systems, the Bose Videostage 5 decoding circuitry gives you a five-channel surround sound experience from everything you listen to, including VHS tapes, stereo CDs, even mono TV programs.
Dual-Zone Capability: Simply add Bose powered speakers, and you can enjoy the same source at the same time in two different rooms, or two different sources at the same time in two different rooms.
On-Screen Settings Menu: The on-screen settings menu allows for simple and efficient system control.
Audio Settings: You can adjust the following audio settings:
Movie EQ: automatically sets bass and treble compensation for the proper playback of movie sound tracks
Range Compression: range compression automatically adjusts the volume to allow you to hear soft sounds and to prevent you from being overwhelmed by a loud special effect, such as an explosion
Mono Decoding: automatically engages Bose Videostage decoding when a Dolby Digital bitstream indicates that it contains a mono program
Center Channel: focuses or softens the presentation of center-channel sound
MP3 Playback: This system can play MP3 files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs.
Repeat Play: When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current chapter. When playing an audio CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc. Using the AB Repeat feature, you can repeat a portion of a DVD by selecting the starting and stopping points for the section to be repeated.
Random Play: When playing an audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Scan Search: When playing a DVD, there are three fast-play speeds in both directions.
Station Presets: The built-in tuner allows you to store up to 25 AM and 25 FM stations. Once a station is stored in memory, you can select it using the remote control or the on-screen settings menu.
Parental Control: This system allows you to set playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a Parental Control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer turns the system off after a set period of time. You can adjust the sleep timer from 1 to 99 minutes.
Display Brightness: The display on the Media Center can be adjusted to one of seven brightness levels.
House Code Settings: Each Lifestyle remote uses a system of matching house codes to communicate with its corresponding Media Center. If commands given from your remote ever conflict with those of another nearby Lifestyle system, you can easily set a new house code for your system.
Selectable Video Format: The system can output video in NTSC or PAL format.
Multibrand RF Remote: The remote is pre-programmed to control this system and certain functions on other brands of TVs, VCRs, and cable/satellite receivers. In addition, the remote emits a powerful RF (radio frequency) signal, allowing you to operate your system from another room.
Control Integration: The Media Center and universal radio frequency (RF) remote combine to provide complete system control. A radio frequency receiver is built into the Media Center for exclusive communication with the Bose remote. The infrared (IR) control system includes an infrared receiver and an infrared transmitter, allowing the Media Center to retransmit operating commands from the radio frequency Bose remote to the infrared-based video components, such as a TV or cable box.
Media Center Rear Panel:
- AM Antenna: female mono sub-mini for supplied AM antenna
- FM Antenna: threaded F-connection
- Record Outputs: stereo RCA jacks, standard coaxial digital jack, and standard Toslink digital output with a plastic cover
- Tape Inputs: stereo RCA jacks and standard coaxial digital jack
- Aux Inputs: stereo RCA jacks and standard coaxial digital jack
- VCR Inputs: stereo RCA jacks and standard coaxial digital jack
- TV Inputs: stereo RCA jacks and standard coaxial digital jack
- Video Inputs: RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video Outputs: RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Optical Input: standard Toslink digital input with a plastic cover
- Speaker Zone 1: 8-pin female jack that connects to the Acoustimass module
- Speaker Zone 2: 8-pin female jack that connects to optional Bose powered speakers
- DC Power Jack: for use with Media Center power supply
- TV Sensor: female mini-jack for use with supplied TV on/off sensor
- IR Emitter: female mini-jack for use with supplied IR emitter
- Serial Data: female mini-jack
Acoustimass Module Rear Panel:
- Audio Input: phone-type jack for use with audio input cable
- Outputs to Cube Speakers: 5 RCA jack (front left, front right, center, surround left, and surround right)
- AC Power Jack: for use with supplied Acoustimass module AC power cord
Cube Speaker Array Inputs: Each cube speaker array has a 2-pin female jack for use with the supplied speaker cable.
- Media Center: W=15.724", H=3.709", D=11.419"
- Acoustimass Module: W=8.05", H=16.0625", D=24.9375"
- Cube Speaker Arrays: W=3.1", H=6.2", D=4.03"