About the Clarion CMS2
Two-part marine audio solution
Two-part marine audio solution
Clarion's CMS2 marine digital media receiver puts you in control of your music while your gear stays safe below decks. This two-part marine audio solution includes a waterproof comprehensive control panel you can mount in the cockpit of your craft, connected to a hideaway unit that you install in a safe place out of the elements.
The hideaway unit features a 4-channel amplifier that drives your marine speakers, along with an AM/FM/Weather Band tuner that keeps you up to date with news, weather, and more. You'll find plenty of inputs for a variety of media, including a USB input for your iPhone or a thumb drive, an auxiliary input for portable devices, and an input for a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner. And the system also includes Bluetooth® connectivity so you can stream audio from your compatible device.
Waterproof control panel
The Marine Source Commander control panel puts you in charge of all your audio options, allowing you to switch between sources and access all receiver functions. This watertight Commander features an easy-to-use interface and a backlit display with easy-to-read large text. Its silicone keys shrug off damage from the marine environment for long-term reliability. You can plug Clarion's MW1, MW2, or MW4 wired remote into the hideaway box to add audio control in other spots on your boat.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- marine digital media receiver (no CD player)
- hideaway module includes tuner and amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- wired remote Commander unit
- Weather-Band tuner built in
- Bluetooth music streaming
- Commander control panel meets IPX6 splash-proof standards
- all components meet ASTM B117 (salt/fog Exposure) and ASTM D4329 (UV exposure) standards
- highly legible 3-line display (black on blue)
- iPod/iPhone direct control via USB input
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: USB input, auxiliary input
Other features and specs:
- compatible with select Clarion wired remote controls
- dimensions: 6-7/8"W x 2"H x 6-3/4"D (black box); 5-1/4"W x 3-1/4"H x 1"D (controller)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CMS2
What's in the box:
- Marine display controller
- Hide-away connection module
- Wiring harness
- 10' DIN cable
- 8 Mounting screws
- 4 Rubber sleeves
- Owners/Installation Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
Clarion CMS2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion CMS2
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Marine Tested: The Clarion CMS2 Marine Mechanism-Less Source Unit has been engineered and tested for use in the harsh marine environment. The unit meets or exceeds ASTM B117 Salt/Fog Exposure and ASTM D4329 UV Exposure standards. The CMS2 offers full IPX6 tested and certified Waterproof protection. The CMS2 features a water resistance chassis and HumiSeal coated PCB to protect against corrosion.
Note: The CMS2's watertight commander is waterproof (XPX6). The hide-away commander unit is water resistant.
Hide-Away Module: The Clarion CMS2 includes a hide-away module which contains all of the system's hardwired connections. The hide-away module also contains the system 4-channel amplifier and AM/FM/Weather tuner. The hide-away module connects to the display controller via a 10' DIN cable.
Watertight Mechanism-less Commander: With the hide-away connection module installed in a water-protected area, you can control everything from the CMS2's wired watertight commander unit. Its simple design is void of any mechanisms to maximize reliability. Its 3-line dot matrix LCD with large characters provide easy recognition for various functions, and silicone keys help to enhance durability and resistance to the elements. You can adjust the contrast of the unit's display from 1-8.
Wired & Wireless Remotes (Optional): The unit is equipped with a rear mounted 8-pin DIN connector to accommodate optional Clarion wired & wireless remote controls.
- Wired Remote: The MW1 (020MW1; sold separately) is a hardwired remote control with an LCD display,
- RF Remote: The Clarion MF1 (020MF1, sold separately) is a RF remote control which is waterproof and designed to float. The MF1 meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure), ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure), and IP67 (International Protection Rating).
- WiFi Remote Module: The Clarion MF2 marine remote module (020MF2, sold separately) features built-in WiFi and allows you to control the marine stereo system via the free Clarion MF2 app on your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad (iOS 6.0+).
Note: When two remotes are used in combination with one another, Clarion's Y-adapter (020MWRYC, sold separately) is required.
Optional USB/Aux Extension Cable: Use Clarion's 37" CCAUSBAV USB/Auxiliary extension cable (020CCAUSBA, sold separately) to extend the hide-away module's Aux input and USB port. The CCAUSBAV features a male USB (type-A) connector, a male composite video jack (not used), and male stereo RCA jacks on one end of the cable and a female USB (type-A) port and female 3.5mm AV jack on other end of cable. The female USB port and 3.5mm AV jack are covered by a pre-installed rubber cap making it usable for the marine environment. The female USB port and 3.5mm AV jack is designed to be flush-mounted using the pre-installed mounting collar.
Optional NMEA 2000 Interface Module: Clarion's MW6 NMEA 2000 Compliant interface module (020MW6, sold separately) allows Clarion marine source unit to be seamlessly added to your boat's onboard NMEA 2000 network, enabling control of the Clarion source unit directly from the boat's Multi-Function Display (MFD) device.
Bluetooth Technology: The Clarion CMS2 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 3.0+EDR, allowing you wirelessly connect to your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Blackberry, etc.. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles - A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
- Simple Secure Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Clarion CMS2 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Once a device is paired, the registered Bluetooth device will automatically connect to the receiver when it is in close proximity (up to 30') to the receiver. You can register up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices with the Clarion head receiver (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
- Wireless Audio Streaming w/ aptX: The Clarion CMS2 can stream & control music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps on your mobile device to the CMS2 receiver. The unit even employs aptX audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with compatible aptX-compatible phones (like some Android OS 4.0+). The unit offers basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, & Random/Repeat) for stored music and music apps. In addition, the CMS2 provides a Track List of the stored music on your smartphone (AVRCP 1.4 phones only) and even offers Playlist/Artist/Album/Song/Genre/etc. browsing for stored music on your iPod/iPhone (iOS 6.0+); as a result you can find your music much quicker. The receiver will also display your stored music and music app song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion CMS2. Visit Clarion Bluetooth Support for complete list of compatible phones and players.
USB Port: The CMS2's hide-away module is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port for connection of a USB mass storage class device; such as your digital audio player or thumbdrive. The CMS2 supports playback of MP3/WMA (8-320 kbps) audio files recorded in FAT/FAT32 on these USB MSC devices (up to 32GB). The unit can recognize up to 255 folders and a maximum of 65,535 files. This unit is compatible with, and will display MP3 & WMA ID3 tags. The CMS2 offers USB playback functions such a Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Skip (Track/Folder), Repeat (Track/Folder), and Random (Folder/All); as well as a list of your connected USB mass storage device's tracks and folders. This unit will also charge (1A) your connected USB device when the receiver is turned on.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Clarion CMS2's USB port also acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. This type of connection allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the Clarion marine receiver. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the receiver and sound quality to be maximized through the receiver's 1-bit D/A converter.
- Music Control: The Clarion receiver allows you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. The receiver also supports Repeat (file/all) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone. In Simple Control mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. You can also listen to your favorite music apps from your iPhone (iOS 5.0+) through the Clarion receiver and your vehicle's speakers. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to navigate your apps.
- Information Display: The receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, and Artist/Artist name. The receiver will also display song/artist information from the Pandora App. It will not display metadata from other streamed apps or when in Simple Control mode.
- Battery Charging: The receiver's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion CMS2 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model feature (as of 2/7/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary: The hide-away connection module features a stereo RCA auxiliary input so you can connect an external audio source. The sensitivity of the aux input can be set (low, mid, or high) to match the output of the auxiliary source to the other sources.
AM/FM/Weather Tuner: The CMS2 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with US and European tuning. The built-in AM/FM tuner offers Seek, Manual, and Preset tuning. The CMS2 allows you to store up to 10 AM/FM preset stations. The CMS2 is also equipped with a built-in weather band tuner.
|Channel (Ch)||Frequency (MHz)|
SiriusXM-Ready: The Clarion CMS2 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels.
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category.
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, and Song Title can be viewed on the receiver's display.
- The Replay feature allows you to pause, rewind, and replay (up to 30 minutes) of live SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
- Up to 10 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets.
- Direct tune allows you to directly enter a station number.
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion CMS2 employs a MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) power amplifier capable of delivering 50W (Peak) x 4ch of high quality sound with superior linearity & less distortion than conventional power amps, even with the volume cranked up.
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the CMS2 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/2V RCA Output + Sub Level Control: The Clarion CMS2 features 6ch/2V RCA line level outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (0-14) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse), as well as a variable low-pass crossover (80/120/180Hz) .
EQ: You can choose between 10 EQ presets - Flat, Jazz, Pop, Classic, Rock, News, Urban, Rave, Movie, Techno, and User. The User preset mode lets you manually adjust the receiver's Bass (60Hz), Midrange (1kHz), and Treble (10kHz) from -12 to +12.
Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer at lower volumes.
Mute: Use this function to turn off the system's sound immediately.
Key Beep: The marine receiver provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Watertight Commander: The watertight commander should be mounted to a dry, clean, and flat surface; using the integrated mounting bracket and four supplied mounting screws (two plastic end caps must be removed and then reinstalled). Ensure the integrated rear gasket is fully sealed to the mounting surface.
- Width = 5.3125"
- Height = 3.375"
- Depth = 1.25"
Note: The four mounting-holes are 4.3125" apart (horizontally) and 2.3125" apart (vertically).
Hide-Away Module: The hide-away module should be installed in a dry, water-protected area. Select an area with sufficient ventilation for the mounting of the hide-away module in order to prevent the module from overheating. You may mount the module in a horizontal or vertical position. The hide-away module features integrated mounting flanges and included four mounting screws.
- Width = 8.3125"
- Height = 2.125"
- Depth = 7.5625"
Note: If the module is mounted in a vertical position, do not mount the module with the harness connection point directly facing up to prevent water collection in this area.
Optional Gimbal Mount: Clarion's BKU001 Gimbal Mount (020BKU001, sold separately) is a pedestal-type mount designed for the Clarion CMS2 Marine Source Commander. It provides suction-cup, screw-in, or self-adhesive mounting. Once installed, the gimbal mount offers multi-angle adjustment of the CMS Marine Source Commander, so you can swivel the unit left/right or tilt the unit up/down.
Optional Flush Mount Bracket: The Clarion Flush Mount Bracket (020BKU003, sold separately) allows you to flush mount the Clarion CMS2 in your boat's bulkhead.
- Outer Dimensions: 6.0625" (w) x 4.125" (h) x 0.25" (d)
- Cutout Dimensions: 5.4375" (w) x 3.5" (h) x 3.125" (d)
Notes: The included C-bracket secures the flush mount bracket to the bulk head.
9 questions already asked