About the Clarion CX505
Clarion designed their CX505 CD receiver with an elegant, simple control panel that gives you complete control over its long list of features. This sharp-looking receiver comes loaded with a built-in HD Radio™ tuner, built-in Bluetooth® with aptX® for ultra-clear wireless sound, Pandora® Internet Radio controls for an iPhone® or Android™, and a brilliant 2-line, variable-color display. You can control it all using the user-friendly controls or the included wireless remote.
The large, multi-function knob and simple control panel make it easy to keep your eyes on the road.
Bluetooth with aptX
In addition to hands-free calling with Bluetooth, you can pair your phone with this Clarion for wireless audio streaming. If your Android is Bluetooth aptX-compatible or if you store AAC files on your iPhone, you'll enjoy clear, CD-quality music streaming. Clarion integrated the sensitive Bluetooth microphone on the front panel, so callers can hear you loud and clear while your eyes stay on the road. You also have the option of using an external mic (not included), good news if you drive a convertible or any vehicle with a noisy interior.
Go gaga over radio
The CX505 gives you control over Pandora Internet Radio using Bluetooth for your Android or the front USB port with your iPhone. You can also enjoy HD Radio from participating stations -- once you hear FM that's close to CD quality or AM that comes in clear and static-free, you'll never go back. If your memory's not what it used to be, you can tag songs that you hear on HD Radio when your iPod's connected, then buy them later online. And most participating stations send out secondary programming, giving you more choices when you're in the mood for radio.
You can also check out the incredibly deep programming offered by satellite radio by adding a SiriusXM tuner to this Clarion. You'll never lose your favorite SiriusXM stations, whether you're going to the grocery store or to the Grand Canyon.
More good stuff
You can also satisfy your music fix with the receiver's CD player, or by connecting a portable music player to the front aux input. The receiver's front-panel USB port offers direct control over a connected iPod or iPhone or a flash drive full of MP3 and WMA music.
Three sets of hot 4-volt preamp outputs maximize the performance of any outboard amps in your system, and you can adjust your subwoofer level and the character of your bass. Once you've got your music selected, you can use the 3-band equalizer and EQ presets to adjust the sound in your vehicle. The variable-color display lets you pick the look, making this Clarion look right at home in your vehicle.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our articles about Bluetooth profiles and streaming music using Bluetooth with aptX.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- plays CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files
- 2-line variable-color display with 728 colors
- fits 4" tall dash openings
- built-in Bluetooth with aptX for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 3 preset EQ curves
- subwoofer level controls
- high and low-pass filter controls
- bass boost and loudness controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included)
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- CD receiver
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RCX001)
- CR2025 3V battery
- 8 ISO screws
- Owners/Installation Manual
- Warranty Card
Clarion CX505 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion CX505
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||22 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||12 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Bluetooth Technology: The Clarion CX505 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion CX505. Visit Clarion's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Clarion CX505 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to three Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Clarion head unit, but only one can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ Integrated Mic): The Clarion CX505 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. The CX505 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. An integrated front-panel microphone (or Clarion's RCB-204 optional external mic; sold separately) carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, or using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Clarion
in-dash head unit's front-panel controls.
- Direct Dial: Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers (0-9, *, #, +) directly via the car stereo's rotary control knob.
- Phonebook: You can search for contact names in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Clarion CX505 and then make your call. The head unit can store up to 500 contact numbers.
- Call Log: You can also make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed) from the Clarion CX505.
- Redial: You can simply redial the last number dialed with a press of a single button on the in-dash head unit.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ aptX): The Clarion CX505 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for aptX music streaming.
- Stored Music & Music Apps: You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Clarion CX505 for playback.
- SBC + aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the CX505 incorporate the CSR' lossless Bluetooth aptX codec (for Android OS 4.0+) which helps retain sound elements lost during digital compression of audio files, ensuring users the ability to always enjoy high quality sound with wireless convenience.
- Basic Playback Control: You can use the front-panel controls of the CX505 to operate basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music & music apps; such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track (not compatible with all apps). Advanced music control of your stored music and music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
CD Compatibility: The Clarion CX505 in-dash head unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio discs, as well as finalized CD-R and CD-RW audio discs.
- Disc-In-Play-Function: This feature allows you to turn the power to the unit "on" and start playing the disc automatically when the disc is inserted even if the unit is not powered up, as long as the ignition key is turned to the "on" or "acc" position.
- Top Function: The Top Function resets the CD player to the first track of a CD-Audio disc or first track of a folder for an CD-R/RW disc.
- Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 15 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Note: For proper CD playback you must install the unit within 30° of horizontal.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Clarion CX505 features a front panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-up cover. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) or USB thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of MP3 & WMA music files stored on a compatible USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This head unit's USB port does not support newer MTP and AOA enabled Android smartphones including HoneyComb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat, and newer.
Compatible Music Files: The Clarion CX505 supports the following types of MP3 & WMA files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs or loaded onto a USB thumbdrive or other USB mass storage class devices.
|File System||ISO9660 level 1/2, Joliet||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||
MP3: bit rate of 8-320
kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||999 filers per folder/3,000 total files|
|Tags||ID3 tag, WMA tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The CX505 provides a variety of playback & search functions that help find your music easier and allow you to enjoy your music even more.
- Folder/File Select: This function allows you to select a folder containing MP3/WMA files and start playing from the first track in the folder.
- Scan Play: This function allows you to locate and play the first 10 seconds of all the tracks recorded on a CD or the first 10 seconds of the first track of all the folders on an MP3/WMA disc.
- Repeat Play: This function allows you to play the current track on a disc repeatedly or play a file currently being played in a MP3/WMA folder repeatedly.
- Random Play: This function allows you to play all tracks recorded on a disc or in a folder in a random order.
- Last Position Memory: If you turn off the unit while a disc or USB device is playing, it will resume playback at the stopping point when it is turned on again.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Clarion CX505's front-panel USB port can be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or a 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). The CX505 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 94dB. The Clarion head unit supports audio playback of stored music, music apps, and podcasts on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Control: You can choose to control your iPod/iPhone from
the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Head Unit: The Clarion head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. You can search these categories alphabetically (A-Z). The head unit also supports Repeat (file/all) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone.
- Simple Control: In Simple Control mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. You can also listen to your favorite music apps from your iPhone (iOS 5.0+) through the Clarion head unit and your vehicle's speakers. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to navigate your apps. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode.
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, and Artist/Artist name. The head unit will also display song/artist information from the Pandora App. It will not display metadata from other streamed apps or when in Simple Control mode.
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Clarion CX505 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/20/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Aux Input: The CX505 features a front panel 3.5mm auxiliary input so you connect your external portable audio player or portable satellite radio receiver to this head unit. You can set the Auxiliary input sensitivity level to Low, Mid, or High to match the volume output of your connected external audio device.
HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: Multicasting is the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single AM/FM frequency. this increases the amount and diversity of content choices. A maximum of eight multicast station channels (HD1-HD8) can be selected on this unit.
- Station Text: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the unit's front-panel LCD.
- Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 18 FM and 6 AM preset stations. The unit's tuner can automatically seek and store six strong stations in a selected band in order of signal strength. Sub-program services of multicast stations are not included in the automatic memory search.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from and HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs. Your iPod/iPhone must have at least 50MB of free space to "tag" and transfer songs. iTunes 7.4 or later is required to purchase "tagged" songs.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion CX505 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+), via the cable that came with your iPhone device or a 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Music Control: The CX505 provides control over the Pandora music service. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down or bookmark songs/artists that are currently playing.
- Song/Artist Display: The CX505 will also display your Pandora station's song/artist information such as artist name, song title, and album title.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Clarion CX505 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- iTunes Tagging for your USB-connected iPod or iPhone
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion CX505 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the CX505 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the CX505 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6Ch RCA Outputs: With 6-Channel 4-Volt RCA Outputs, you are free to add external power amplifiers to create a more powerful, sophisticated audio system. What's more, the 4-volt output assures a pure, high quality signal for your entire sound system. The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (+/-6) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse).
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion CX505 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer RCA output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The CX505 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or RCA-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
BeatEQ: BeatEQ lets you tune the sound to your liking, depending on the category of music, for a more fulfilling listening experience. The Clarion CD receiver provides 4 preset EQ curves (Bass Boost, Impact, Excite, Off) and 1 custom EQ curve. Bass Boost emphasizes the bass portion of your music; Impact emphasizes the bass & treble portions of your music; Excite emphasizes bass, midrange & treble portions of your music; while Flat sets the bass, midrange, & treble to 0. The Custom EQ lets you freely customize the frequency, Q-factor, and level of the bass, midrange, & treble. BeatEQ settings are applied to all sources.
|BeatEQ (Custom Mode)||Frequency||Q-Factor||Level|
|Bass||50Hz, 100Hz, or 200Hz||0.7, 1.0, 1.4, or 2.0||-7 to + 7|
|Midrange||500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz|
|Treble||5kHz, 10khz, 15kHz|
Note: BeatEQ settings are applied to all sources.
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. What is more, boost levels are dependent on the system volume, resulting in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction.
Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Variable Color Illumination: The CX505 is equipped with a high visibility, 728 Variable-Color Illumination LCD that allows numbers and characters to be displayed clearly in all lighting conditions. You can select the exact color you want for the head unit's display and button illumination to match your car's instrument panel or personal preference.
Screen Saver: This unit is provided with a Screen Saver function which allows you to show various kinds of patterns and characters in the operation status indication area of the display in a random order. You can turn this function on or off. If the button operation is performed with the screen saver function "On", the operation display corresponding to the button operation is shown for about 30 seconds and then the display returns to the screen saver display.
2-DIN Chassis: The Clarion CX505 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using your vehicle's factory radio brackets and the supplied hardware. There is also an optional custom double-DIN sleeve (0202DBKT, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to mount the CX505 in a custom 4" opening. As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Wireless Remote: The Clarion CX505 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the in-dash CD receiver. The remote provides music playback & search controls; it does not offer hands-free phone controls for Bluetooth. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium cell 3-volt battery.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Clarion CX505 replaces these items
- adjustable illumination (you can select different colors for the display and controls)
- front and rear USB inputs (rear is for Bluetooth adapter)
- included Bluetooth adapter
- front-panel USB and auxiliary inputs
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs
13 questions already asked