About the Clarion CX609
Fill your vehicle's double-sized opening with the Clarion CX609 CD receiver its sleek, stylish looks will make a statement, and its performance will bring a smile to you and your passengers on your next road trip. You can even select from 728 display colors to pick the look that best fits your dash.
Built-in Bluetooth® lets you conduct phone calls while keeping your hands on the wheel. When a call comes in, your music mutes and you hear your caller through the speakers. Clarion includes a microphone you can mount in a strategic place for crystal-clear call sound quality.
Discs and playlists
Play your store-bought CDs or those you've loaded with MP3, WMA, or AAC files, as Clarion's powerful internal amplifier pumps out all your favorite music with authority. Connect your iPod® to the rear USB slot and access your playlists with the receiver's controls no adapter needed. Whatever your source may be, you can check out song info with a quick glance at the large, 2-line display.
BeatEQ gives you three preset tone curves, all of which you can customize with the 3-band parametric equalizer. Magna Bass EX lets you dial in big bass when you want it, and BBE MP reproduces the warmth, nuance and harmonics that may be missing from your digital music files. Clarion includes a handy remote for on-the-fly changes.
Add endless entertainment variety with a satellite radio, or load up a thumb drive with MP3, WMA, and AAC files and plug it into the rear USB slot. Your friend can plug her MP3 player into the auxiliary input on the front panel. Two sets of preamp outputs let you add amps and subs for a complete car audio system.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Clarion stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Clarion, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
iPod note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- double-size CD receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files)
- built-in Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- 2-line dot matrix display
- 728-color variable illumination
- remote control
- BeatEQ with three preset tone settings and 3-band parametric equalizer
- Magna Bass EX bass boost
- BBE MP digital music enhancer
- built-in iPod control no adapter necessary
- compatible with optional satellite radio, CD changer
- inputs: USB input on rear cable (for Windows Media devices, USB storage devices, and iPod), front auxiliary input
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (front, rear/sub)
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN AM/FM/CD receiver
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness (with in-line 15A fuse on constant power wire)
- RCB-176 Wireless remote control
- CR2025 3-Volt Lithium battery
- Microphone with attached 9.5' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector
- Self-adhesive microphone bracket
- Large visor clip
- Small visor clip
- 8 Counter-sunk phillips-head screws
- 8 Hex-head bolts with a flat-washer attached to each one
- 8 Plastic rings
- 2 Self-adhesive gaskets
- Owner's Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Wire Connection Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty sheet
Clarion CX609 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion CX609
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||22 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Display Color||728 Color|
|Key Button Color||728 Color|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
2-DIN Chassis: The Clarion CX609 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using your vehicle's factory radio brackets and the supplied hardware. There is also an optional custom double-DIN sleeve (0202DBKT, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to mount the CX609 in a custom 4" opening.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
728 Variable-Color Illumination Display: The high visibility, 728 Variable-Color Illumination LCD display on the CX609 allows numbers and characters to be displayed clearly in all lighting conditions. You can select the exact color you want for the headunit's display and button illumination to match your car's instrument panel. You can adjust the display contrast to match the angle of installation of this unit between 1 to 16.
Illumination Dimmer: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate.
Screen Saver: This unit is provided with a Screen Saver function which allows you to show various kinds of patterns and characters in the operation status indication area of the display in a random order. You can turn this function on or off. If the button operation is performed with the screen saver function on, the operation display corresponding to the button operation is shown for about 30 seconds and the display returns to the screen saver display.
Message Information: A message up to 30 characters long can be stored in memory and displayed as a type of screen saver.
Anti-Theft System: Since the CX609 does not have detachable face, this unit features Clarion's Anti-Theft System (CATS). CATS allows you to create a 4-digit code that must be entered to operate the unit if it is ever disconnected from your vehicle's battery.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the CX609 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the CX609 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Two 2-Volt Preamp Outputs: The CX609 is equipped with a pair of 2-volt front and rear preamp outputs. You can fade between the front and rear preamp outputs or you can set the rear-preamp output to a subwoofer (non-fading) preamp output.
Crossovers: The Clarion CX609 is equipped with high and low pass crossover filters.
- High-Pass Crossovers: The CX609 features a high-pass crossover filter which can be set to "Through", 60, 90, or 120 Hz for the headunit's speaker and preamp outputs. The high-pass crossover setting will be the same for the front and rear speaker or preamp outputs of the headunit.
- Low-Pass Crossover: When the rear preamp output of the CX609 is to "Subwoofer", you can adjust the headunit's low-pass crossover to 60, 90, or 120 Hz to prevent any unwanted high-frequencies from reaching your connected subwoofer amplifier and speaker. You can also se the low-pass crossover to "Through" if your connected subwoofer amplifier features its own built-in low-pass crossover.
Subwoofer Output Volume: You can adjust the volume output from the headunit's subwoofer output between -6 and +6 dB.
Beat EQ With Parametric Equalization: In addition to providing 3 preset equalization patterns (Excite, Impact, B-Boost), BeatEQ lets you freely customize the level and range of the bass, midrange and treble portions of each pattern with a 3-band parametric equalizer.
- B-Boost: Bass is emphasized from -3 to +3.
- Impact: Bass and treble are emphasized from -3 to +3.
- Excite: Bass, treble and midrange are emphasized from -3 to +3.
- Off: No sound effect.
- Custom: Adjusts the bass, midrange, and treble independently from -7 to +7. You can set the effected bass frequency to 50, 100, or 200 Hz; the effected midrange frequency to 500Hz, 1kHz, or 2kHz; the effected treble frequency to 5k, 10k, or 15k. The Q-factor for each frequency (Bass, Midrange, and Treble) can be set to 0.7, 1,0 1.4, or 2.0.
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. The Magna Bass EX circuit boosts bass at 50Hz. This creates a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. The Magna Bass EX boost levels are dependent on the system volume, which results in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction
BBE MP (Minimized Polynomial Non-Linear Saturation): By restoring the harmonics that are lost during digital compression of MP3 and WMA audio files, BBE MP reproduces the warmth, details and nuances of sound that you would otherwise miss. Effective for digital audio files and CDs.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion CX609 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with a total of 24 presets (18FM/6AM). You can store these presets manually or automatically. The headunit also offers manual or seek tuning, as well as preset station scan.
Instant Station Recall (ISR): You can store one radio station in Instant Station Recall (ISR) memory and recall it from any mode (except Power Off). Once the ISR station has been recalled, you cannot tune to another station without first disengaging the ISR function. You can, however, switch to another source.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: The Clarion CX609 features a direct
XM port for connecting and controlling an optional XM Radio tuner. There are
two options for purchasing the parts needed to add XM Radio:
- CNP2000UCA: The CNP2000UCA package (220CNP2UCA, sold separately) includes all the necessary parts, plus an extra; the included XMDirect² Vehicle Tuner and car antenna are used; the included protocol interface is not used, therefore no firmware download is required.
- Home XM Tuner + Antenna: The XM Tuner (220XHD2H1, designed for home use) includes one necessary part, plus an extra; the included XMDirect² Home Tuner is used, but the included home antenna is not used. A car antenna must be added to the tuner (209XMICRO2 or 250XMICRO, sold separately) to complete the installation.
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SC-C1 SIRIUS Connect Universal Vehicle Tuner and the Clarion CLA-SC1 Ce-NET SIRIUS Satellite Radio interface (700SIRCLAR, sold separately). You can also use the Clarion CLA-SC1 Ce-NET SIRIUS Satellite Radio interface (020CLASC1) and the SIRIUS dock-and-play adapter (607SCVDOC1) along with a compatible portable SIRIUS radio (all sold separately).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable XM or Sirius satellite
radio receiver can be connected to the head unit via an auxiliary input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The unit can play MP3, WMA, and AAC files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs using ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Joliet, Romeo, or APPLE ISO formats. The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 255 files per folder and 510 total files. Bit rates for MP3 and AAC are 8-320 kbps, plus VBR (Variable Bit Rates). Bit rates for WMA are 8-320 kbps. This unit is compatible with, and will display MP3, WMA, and AAC ID3 tags up to 64 characters.
Note: Copyright-protected WMA/AAC files cannot be played.
Title Entry: Titles up to 10 characters long can be stored in memory and displayed for CD, CD changer, and Radio stations. The number of titles that can be entered for each mode are as follows - 50 disc titles for CD Mode, 30 station titles for Radio Mode, and 100 disc titles for Changer mode.
Disc-In-Play-Function: This feature allows you to turn the power to the unit "on" and start playing the disc automatically when the disc is inserted even if the unit is not powered up, as long as the ignition key is turned to the "on" or "acc" position.
Top Function: The Top Function resets the CD player to the first track of a CD-audio disc. In the case of an MP3/WMA/AAC disc, the first track of a folder being played will be reset.
Scan Play: This function allows you to locate and play the first 10 seconds of all the tracks recorded on a CD or the first 10 seconds of the first track of all the folders on an MP3/WMA/AAC disc.
Last Position Memory: If you turn off the unit while a disc is playing, it will resume playback at the stopping point when it is turned on again.
Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 15 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Mounting: For proper CD playback, you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Port: The headunit features a rear panel USB port on a 42" pigtail that allows you to connect and play USB Mass Storage devices loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files. This unit is compatible with USB 1.1/2.0 with maximum data transfer rates of 12mbps. MP3, WMA, and AAC files with a bit rate of 8-320 kbps are supported, while titles up to 64 characters can be displayed in USB mode. This unit also supports USB Digital Media Steaming which allows you to play music files transmitted using Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) and supports the playback of WMDRM 10 files. The headunit can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 255 files per folder and 510 total files. The CX609 offers the following playback operation of your USB Mass Storage device - Play, Pause, Track selection, Fast-forward/backward, Scan play, Repeat play, Random play and Folder selection.
Note: Copyright-protected WMA/AAC files cannot be played.
iPod Direct: The Clarion CX609 allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone to the headunit's rear-panel USB port using your iPod's USB/Dock cable for audio playback, control, and charging of your iPod/iPhone. This headunit also supports the display of title information transmitted from your iPod/iPhone.
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 90dB.
- Audio Playback: The Clarion headunit supports audio playback of music files stored on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Navigation: The CX609 offers two iPod playback modes - Play Mode and iPod Menu Mode. During Play Mode you can control the following playback functions of your iPod: Skip Tracks, Fast-forward/backward, Pause, Repeat, Random, and Cancel. The iPod Menu Mode allows you to select music for playback from your iPod by category (Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer). You can select between categories by using the headunit's numbered preset buttons 1-6. Once you have selected a category, you can search through the tracks in that particular category alphabetically.
- Information Display: The headunit will also display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, and Album Title.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is
set to ACC or ON, the headunit's USB connection will power and charge your
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion CX609 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of January 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Info||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The CX609 feature a front panel 3.5mm auxiliary input so you connect your external portable audio player or portable satellite radio receiver to this headunit. You can adjust the Auxiliary input sensitivity level from Low, Mid, to High to match the volume output of your connected external audio device.
Built-in Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth technology allows you to utilize your vehicle's built-in audio system for wireless mobile phone or music hands-free operation. The Clarion CX609 features built-in Bluetooth technology for wireless connection with Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, PDAs and MP3 Players. The CX609 supports Bluetooth Ver.2.0 profiles A2DP/AVRCP for audio streaming and HFP/OPP for hands-free operation, so you can easily communicate and transfer digital music to your vehicle's audio system.
- Hands-Free Communication: The CX609 will be able to retrieve phonebook contacts, received calls, dialed calls, missed calls, incoming calls, outgoing calls, and redialed calls. The CX609 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. A wired microphone is supplied to carry on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person.
- Audio Streaming: The CX609 will also be able to control basic playback features such a Pause, Track Selection, Fast Forward, and Reverse. Up to 5 phones and/or audio devices can be paired to this unit.
Note: The Clarion CX609 is not compatible with all Bluetooth enabled phones or audio players. See Clarion.com for complete list of compatible phones and players.
Wireless Remote: The Clarion CX609 is equipped with the RCB-176 infrared wireless remote control for convenient and wireless operation of the headunit. The remote measures 4.461" long x 1.718" wide x 0.494" deep.
OEM Remote Ready: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.