About the Clarion DXZ785USB
Do you value great sound above all? Clarion loaded their DXZ785USB CD receiver with sound-shaping features and expansion options, all built around a solid foundation of high-fidelity mobile sound.
A 24-bit digital-to-analog converter renders your CDs with startling accuracy, while the powerful amplifier ensures clean performance from your speakers. A versatile suite of sound-shaping controls, including speaker-matching presets and a 3-band parametric equalizer, allows you compensate for your vehicle's acoustics. Dial in the digital time-alignment controls to put yourself in the perfect stereo "sweet spot."
Accessing these features has never been easier. Clarion's Slidetrak control system replaces knobs and buttons with a simple interface that lets you scroll through menus and select options with remarkable speed and ease. The highly visible LCD screen keeps you informed with 3 lines of info, and makes it easy to read song file, artist, and album info. You can customize the display with any of 728 different colors to match your vehicle and mood.
Enjoy plenty of musical sources with the DXZ785USB listen to and control your iPod® by plugging it in to the rear USB input, or use the USB input to tap into music libraries stored on thumb drives or hard-disk drives. The Sound Restorer feature breathes new life into digital music files by recreating info lost in the compression process.
Add an optional satellite radio for an unparalleled selection of news, sports, talk, and music. You can also stream audio wirelessly with Clarion's optional Bluetooth adapter. You'll find three sets of 6-volt preamp outputs for driving your outboard amps, and you can turn off the internal amp to prevent noise from reaching your system.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD receiver with built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/53 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files)
- motorized, detachable face with 728 color variable backlighting
- Slidetrak control system
- remote control
- Digital Z-enhancer (3-band parametric EQ with three adjustable tone settings)
- Magna Bass EX bass boost
- digital time-alignment
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC)
- high- and low-pass filters
- built-in iPod control no adapter necessary
- compatible with optional satellite radio, CD changer, Bluetooth adapter
- inputs: rear USB input, rear auxiliary input
- outputs: 6-channel 6-volt preamp outputs (front, rear, sub)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver
- Hard plastic face case
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness (with in-line 15A fuse on constant power wire)
- Preamp output harness
- RCB-176 Wireless remote control
- CR2025 Lithium battery
- 2 Hook plates (radio removal tools)
- Face fixing screw
- Phillips-head bolt with washer attached
- 8 Rubber caps
- Owner's Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Installation/Wire Connection Guide (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
Clarion DXZ785USB reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion DXZ785USB
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||53 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5.8 volts|
|Display Color||728 Colors|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
SLIDETRAK Controls: SLIDETRAK Control provides precise control of the key features on the head unit with a simple swipe of the fingertip. In addition, SLIDETRAK maximizes the available space on the head unit's face to create a large easy-to-read display. SLIDETRAK also allows an increase in button size for easy identification of buttons. This way, you can keep your eyes on the road while operating the source unit, promoting safe driving.
Motorized Sloping Control Panel (Detachable): The DXZ785USB features a motorized control panel. The unit's motorized control panel slopes down electronically to allow you to load or eject your CDs. Once a CD is loaded the control panel automatically returns to its normal position and begins play of your CD. The headunit's face also detaches and comes supplied with a hard plastic carrying case for safe keeping to deter theft. The unit features a red Anti-theft indicator LED which blinks when the control panel is removed to help deter theft even more.
728 Color LCD Display: Its high contrast, 728-color LCD design lets you fine-tune the look of your source unit. You can choose from 12 different color presets, let the LCD display morph through the entire color spectrum, or fine tune the Red, Green and Blue levels to match your vehicle's dash lights perfectly. The illuminated buttons change along with the display. Below are the following color settings you can choose from.
- Preset Colors: Indigo Blue, Surf Blue, Silky White, Aqua Green, Fresh Green, Leaf Green, Warm Amber, Passion Red, Vivid Pink, Pale Pink, Dark Violet, or Pure Purple
- User Colors: User Color 1, User Color 2, or User Color 3 can be adjusted from 0-8 for Red, Green and Blue levels
- Color Scan: scans through all presets colors and user colors in 3 second intervals
MP3/WMA Playback: The unit can play MP3 and WMA files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs using ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Joliet, or Romeo formats. The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 255 files per folder and 510 total files. Bit rates for MP3 are 8-320 kbps, plus VBR (Variable Bit Rates). Bit rates for WMA are 8-320 kbps. This unit is compatible with, and will display MP3 and WMA ID3 tags up to 64 characters.
AAC Playback: This unit will also playback AAC files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs with a bit-rate of 8-320 kbps or a variable bit-rate. AAC files composed with the following conditions can be played: AAC files encoded with iTunes, iTunes Ver. 7.0 or earlier, and File extension .m4a (.M4A). The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 255 files per folder and 510 total files. The headunit will also support folder name and file names up to 64 characters.
Note: Tracks purchased at an iTune Music store, and copyright-protected files cannot be played.
Auxiliary Input: The DXZ785USB feature a rear panel stereo RCA auxiliary input so you connect your external portable audio player or portable satellite radio receiver to this headunit. You can adjust the Auxiliary input sensitivity level from Low, Mid, to High to match the volume output of your connected external audio device.
Three 6-Volt Preamp Outputs: The DXZ785USB is equipped with a pair of 6-volt front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs. You can fade between the front and rear preamp outputs, while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The high-output pre-amplifier voltage provides reduced signal clipping and lowers the chance of stray electrical noise from degrading the audio signal. The end result is musical reproduction with extended dynamic range and more headroom
Amp Canceller: If you choose to connect the receiver to external amplifiers, you can turn off the built-in amplifier for better sound quality.
Speaker System Configuration: When this unit is turned on for the first time, it allows you to select a speaker system configuration to match your installation application. You can choose from the following.
- Normal: Front 2ch, Rear 2ch, and Subwoofer 2ch; set to Normal when you are using coaxial speakers for the front and rear speakers and have a pair of subwoofers installed.
- 3-Way:High 2ch, Mid 2ch, and Subwoofer 2ch; set to 3-Way when you are using component speakers up front and a pair of subwoofers in the rear.
- 2-Way:High 2ch, Mid 2ch, and Rear 2ch; set to 2-Way when you are using a set of component speakers up front and a pair of coaxial rear speakers.
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion DXZ785USB features built-in 2-Way and 3-Way crossover settings.
- 2-Way Crossover: The headunit's built-in high pass crossovers let your front and rear speakers reproduce the proper frequencies (selectable between 50, 80, 125Hz or Full-Range) for natural sound and efficient power handling using either the headunit's speaker outputs or preamp outputs. A low pass filter with selectable frequencies of 50, 80, and 125Hz or Full-Range, coupled with a Subwoofer Level Control of -6 to +6 allow full adjustment and control of a subwoofer for maximum performance.
- 3-Way Crossover: The 3-way crossover separates the audio spectrum
into different bands to optimize each speaker's frequency response and
minimize phase cancellation. The 3-way crossover optimizes each speaker's
output range resulting in natural and smooth transitions between frequency
ranges. The 3-Way crossover uses a High, Mid, and Sub crossover.
- High-Pass Crossover: You can set the High-Pass crossover's center frequency between 25 to 20,000Hz or Full-range and the slope to 6, 12 or 18 dB. The phase of this crossover can set to either Normal or Reverse.
- Mid-Range Crossover: The Midrange crossover's high-pass center frequency can be set between 25 to 10,000Hz or Full-range and the slope to 6, 12, or 18 dB; while its low-pass center frequency can be set between 630 to 10,000Hz or Full-range and the slope to 6, 12, or 18 dB. In addition, the phase of the Midrange crossover can be set to either Normal or Reverse.
- Sub Crossover: The Sub Crossover's low-pass center frequency can be set between 25 to 10,000Hz or Full-range and the slope to 6, 12 or 18dB; while the its high-pass center frequency can be set between 16 to 250Hz or Full-range and the slope to 6, 12, or 18dB. In addition, the phase of the Sub crossover can be set to either Normal or Reverse.
Digital Z-Enhancer: By using a digital equalizer, there is more flexibility in tailoring your music to sound the way you want it. The Digital Z-Enhancer employs digital signal processing offering three preset equalization curves each adjustable to -3 to +3. You can choose from 21 custom EQ curves, each tailored to a specific speaker type.
- DZE 1: Suitable for factory speakers.
- DZE 2:Suitable for separate (component) speakers.
- DZE 3: Suitable for co-axial speakers.
- DZE Off: No sound effect.
Parametric EQ: The unit's P.EQ (Parametric Equalizer) allows you to compensate the entire frequency level range in detail by smoothing out the audio frequency curve using frequency compensation matched to the type of vehicle you own. You can select between Sedan, Mini Van, Wagon or User for type of vehicle You can then adjust the Center frequency setting between 20 to 20,000Hz, the Q-curve setting to 1, 4, 5, 7, or 20; and the gain level to -12 to +12 dB for your Bass, Midrange and Treble band. The DXZ785USB features the following P.EQ Default Settings.
|No. (Car Type)||Parametric Equalizer Parameters|
|Channel||Band 1 (Bass)||Band 2 (Midrange)||Band 3 (Treble)|
|1. Sedan-1||Front||250 Hz||3||-8 dB||2 kHz||1||-4 dB||5 kHz||1||-4 dB|
|Rear||250 Hz||3||-10 dB||1.25 kHz||5||0 dB||8 kHz||5||0 dB|
|2. Sedan-2||Front||250 Hz||7||-10 dB||800 Hz||3||-4 dB||8 kHz||1||-5 dB|
|Rear||80 Hz||7||+3 dB||125 Hz||5||-12 dB||1.25 kHz||5||0 dB|
|3. Mini Van-1||Front||125 Hz||5||-4 dB||1.25 kHz||3||-4 dB||2 kHz||7||+3 dB|
|Rear||250 Hz||1||-6 dB||630 Hz||3||-4 dB||8 kHz||5||0 dB|
|4. Mini Van-2||Front||250 Hz||3||-4 dB||1.25 kHz||3||-8 dB||80 Hz||3||+3 dB|
|Rear||250 Hz||3||-8 dB||500 Hz||5||05 dB||8 kHz||5||0 dB|
|5. Wagon||Front||250 Hz||3||-8 dB||1 Khz||3||-8 dB||10 kHz||1||-6 dB|
|Rear||250 Hz||3||- 8 dB||800 Hz||1||-8 dB||8 kHz||5||0 dB|
|6. User||Front||500 Hz||1||0 dB||1 kHz||1||0 dB||5 kHz||1||0 dB|
|Rear||500 Hz||1||0 dB||1 kHz||1||0 dB||5 kHz||1||0 dB|
Bass And Treble Adjustment: The Clarion headunit features independent Bass (80Hz) and Treble (10kHz) settings from - 6 to +6 when not using the custom Parametric Equalizer.
Digital Time Alignment: To achieve optimum sonic imaging, each speaker in your vehicle should be mounted the same distance from the listing position. Unfortunately, this is almost impossible within the environment of a vehicle. Digital Time Alignment digitally delays the sound from each speaker to effectively align the speakers for perfect imaging in your vehicle. The distance from the listener to each speaker can be entered in 2.3 cm steps from 0 to 501.4 cm so the time it takes for sound to reach the listener is the same.
Speaker Gain: This function allows you to adjust the speaker output level of each speaker in you car audio system so that the volume that are output from each speaker are well-balanced with one another. You can adjust each speaker's gain from -20 to 0.
Sound Restorer: The Sound Restorer feature enriches the playback of all types of music files that have undergone any level of data compression. The Sound Restorer can be set to three different levels or turned off.
- Level 1: For music sources compressed for high quality at low bit rate.
- Level 2: For music sources compressed for standard quality at low bit rate.
- Level 3: For music sources compressed for low quality at low bit rate.
- Off: For music sources compressed at high bit rate.
Title Entry: Titles up to 10 characters long can be stored in memory and displayed for CD, CD changer, Radio stations and TV stations. The number of titles that can be entered for each mode are as follows - 50 disc titles for CD Mode, 20 station titles for TV mode, 30 station titles for Radio Mode, and 100 disc titles for Changer mode.
Disc-In-Play-Function: This feature allows you to turn the power to the unit "on" and start playing the disc automatically when the disc is inserted even if the unit is not powered up, as long as the ignition key is turned to the "on" or "acc" position.
Top Function: The Top Function resets the CD player to the first track of a CD-audio disc. In the case of an MP3/WMA/AAC disc, the first track of a folder being played will be reset.
Scan Play: This function allows you to locate and play the first 10 seconds of all the tracks recorded on a CD or the first 10 seconds of the first track of all the folders on an MP3/WMA disc.
Last Position Memory: If you turn off the unit while a disc is playing, it will resume playback at the stopping point when it is turned on again.
Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 15 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Instant Station Recall (ISR): You can store one radio station in Instant Station Recall (ISR) memory and recall it from any mode (except Power Off). Once the ISR station has been recalled, you cannot tune to another station without first disengaging the ISR function. You can, however, switch to another source.
Illumination Dimmer: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate.
Screen Saver: This unit is provided with a Screen Saver function which allows you to show various kinds of patterns and characters in the operation status indication area of the display in a random order. You can turn this function on or off. If the button operation is performed with the screen saver function on, the operation display corresponding to the button operation is shown for about 30 seconds and the display returns to the screen saver display.
Message Information: A message up to 30 characters long can be stored in memory and displayed as a type of screen saver.
OEM Remote Ready: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls and/or rear seat radio controls when used with the optional SWI-JACK interface adapter (item number 127SWIJACK, sold separately). The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Harley Davidson, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles. Please consult "Outfit My Car" to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Mounting: You can install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal. When ISO-DIN mounting, you will need to use your vehicle radio's original factory ISO screws.
Wireless Remote: The DXZ785USB is equipped with the RCB-176 infrared wireless remote control. Dimensions: L = 4.461", W = 1.718", D = 0.494".
USB Port: The headunit features a rear panel USB port on a 42" pigtail that allows you to connect and play USB Mass Storage devices loaded with MP3 and WMA files. This unit is compatible with USB 1.1/2.0 with maximum data transfer rates of 12mbps. The USB port can be used with USB memory media carrying up to 130,560 songs. MP3, WMA, and AAC files with a bit rate of 8-320 kbps are supported, while titles up to 64 characters can be displayed in USB mode. This unit also supports USB Digital Media Steaming which allows you to play music files transmitted using Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) and supports the playback of WMDRM 10 files. The DXZ785USB offers the following playback operation of your USB Mass Storage device - Play, Pause, Track selection, Fast-forward/backward, Scan play, Repeat play, Random play and Folder selection.
iPod Direct: The Clarion DXZ785USB allows you to connect your iPod to the headunit's rear-panel USB port using your iPod's USB/Dock cable for audio playback, control and charging of your iPod. This unit also supports the display of title information transmitted from your iPod. The DXZ785USB offers two iPod playback modes - Play Mode and iPod Menu Mode:
- Play Mode: During Play Mode you can control the following playback functions of your iPod: Skip Tracks, Fast-forward/backward, Pause, Repeat, Random and Cancel.
- iPod Menu Mode: The iPod Menu Mode allows you to select music for playback from your iPod by category (Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer). You can select between categories by using the headunit's P.Ch switch. Once you have selected a category, you can search through the tracks in that particular category.
Note: The head unit's USB port supports the following iPods - iPod nano (1st/2nd/3rd/4th generation), iPod video (5th generation), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod touch (1st/2nd generation), and iPhone/iPhone 3G. Your iPod should be updated with the latest software from Apple. For 4th generation iPod and iPod photo, you will need the 020EA1251B iPod interface, connected through the head unit's Ce-NET input.
Bluetooth Ready: The DXZ785USB is compatible with Clarion's BLT370 Bluetooth system via its rear-panel RCA stereo input. The BLT370 gives you hands-free communication from your compatible Bluetooth cellular phone and wireless streaming audio from any Bluetooth compatible portable audio device. The DXZ785USB can be set to automatically mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can listen to your telephone call using your car speakers.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional CNP2000UC XM Mini Tuner (item number 220CNP20UC) and the Clarion CNP-CLA1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMCLA1).
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SC-C1 SiriusConnect Universal Vehicle Tuner and the Clarion CLA-SC1 Ce-NET SIRIUS Satellite Radio interface (package item number 700SIRCLAR).
- Auxiliary Input:
A portable satellite radio receiver,
such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head
unit via an auxiliary input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
CeNET CD Changer Controls: This unit is equipped with a CeNET control connector and can control up to a total of two CeNET changers (CD and/or MD). Two changer control requires a Y-adapter (item number 020CCA519, sold separately). The following operations are the same as for built-in CD mode: Pause, Track Selection, Fast-forward/Fast-backward, Scan Play, Repeat Play, and Random Play.