About the Clarion M505B1
Get your system started
Get your system started
If you want to upgrade your boat's marine audio system, this receiver/speaker package is a great starting point. The Clarion M505 marine digital media receiver gives you plenty of functionality, while the 6-1/2" marine speakers will make music sound great from any source. Clarion has earned its reputation for building marine electronics tough enough to withstand salt water, heavy fog, blistering sunlight, and lashing rain, so this system will sound great for years.
Built-in Bluetooth® for your boat
The M505 receiver lets you stream music from your smartphone or any Bluetooth device to your boat's sound system. Bluetooth aptX processing (also found in many Android smartphones) restores the sparkle that's lost during compression, so you'll hear vastly improved sound quality.
iPod® and iPhone® controls
The M505 gives you mastery over your music collection, including genre/album/song title search using your iPod control wheel. If you're a Pandora® Internet radio fan, you can listen to your favorite stations when your iPhone's connected via USB. Song and artist information shows up clearly on the sharp-looking black-on-white 2-line display.
If you've ripped your entire CD collection and gone digital, you can plug a thumb drive into the front USB port and enjoy all your favorite MP3 or WMA tunes, or you can play your digital music player through the handy front AUX input. You can also enjoy the vast array of programming on satelllite radio by connecting a SiriusXM tuner (sold separately, subscription required).
Sculpt the sound you want
Clarion built this rugged marine receiver to last, but it's also designed to deliver outstanding sound. The 3-band equalizer lets you adjust the highs, mids, and lows to suit your preferences, and you can use the built-in frequency filters and subwoofer controls to get the best possible performance from your system. You'll find the three sets of preamps handy if you're adding amplifiers to your sound system.
Dual zone control lets you split the boat into two distinct areas to suit your needs. Using a special controller (sold separately), you can crank up the bow speakers for max performance, while leaving the cabin speakers at a more conversational level.
Sweet speakers, too
These 6-1/2" Clarion marine speakers will bring serious audio performance to your boat, too. These full-range speakers will handle up to 50 watts RMS (100 watts peak) and they're tough enough to handle high volume all day long. A rugged die-cast aluminum basket protects the entire structure, and the high-impact plastic grilles are UV-treated to resist punishing sunlight. A liquid drainage system designed into the structure keeps rain and spray from pooling up. All Clarion marine speakers are designed to meet or exceed industry standards for UV-ray, salt, fog, and moisture resistance. These speakers require an opening of 5.678", so we recommend measuring your boat's speaker openings before ordering.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- package includes M505 digital media receiver and two 6-1/2" marine speakers
- marine digital media receiver with built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- no internal CD player — plays MP3 and WMA music files from your iPod and other external sources
- built-in Bluetooth® for music streaming
- Bluetooth aptX for superior sound quality from Android phones
- enjoy Pandora internet radio using your iPhone®
- 2-line black-on-white LCD display
- marine-ready features:
- specially sealed against the elements for use in the marine environment
- conformal-coated PCB circuit board
- covers for front USB and AUX inputs
- resistant to salt, fog and UV exposure
- 3-band equalizer with 11 preset sound curves
- fully-adjustable fader and control subwoofer controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- built-in iPod control
- inputs: front USB and AUX inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- wireless remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- 6-1/2" 2-way marine speakers
- injection-molded, mica-filled polypropylene woofers with synthetic rubber surrounds
- 1-1/4" PEI cone tweeters
- handles up to 50 watts RMS (100 watts peak power)
- UV- and corrosion-resistant ASA plastic basket and grille
- water-resistant componentry
- cutout size: 5.678" (please measure your speaker openings before ordering)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # M505B1
What's in the box:
- Clarion M505:
- Marine digital media receiver
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim-ring (attached)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RCX001)
- CR2025 3V battery
- 4 Counter-sunk screws
- 4 Hex-head screws
- 2 Removal tools
- Rear-support bolt
- Owners/Installation Manual
- Warranty Card
- Clarion CMG1622R:
- Two 2-way marine speakers
- 2 Plastic grilles
- 8 Stainless steel speed clips
- Eight 1" Stainless steel self-tapping mounting screws
- Specification sheet/Warranty information
More details on the Clarion M505B1
Marine Tested: The Clarion M505 Marine digital media receiver has been engineered and tested for use in the harsh marine environment. The M505 meets ASTM B117 and ASTM D4329 guidelines ensuring the receiver's resistant to salt, fog and UV exposure. The receiver features a drip shield chassis to keep water from dripping onto the unit's internal circuits. In addition, the head unit's PCB and microprocessor are conformal coated to protect them from corrosion.
High Visibility LCD: The two-line, 13-digit, high visibility LCD (with white background and black characters) on the M505 allows numbers and characters to be displayed clearly in almost any lighting condition.
Water Resistant Covers (optional): Even though the conformal coating makes the receiver water-resistant, it is still recommended that it be used with a universal marine cover such as the Metra (120999005B, sold separately) or Scosche (142ACM1, sold separately).
IR Remote: The Clarion M505 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the digital media receiver. The remote provides music playback & search controls. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium cell 3-volt battery.
Optional Wired & Wireless Remotes: The unit is equipped with a rear mounted 8-pin DIN connector to accommodate optional Clarion wired & wireless remote controls.
- Wired Remote: The MW1 (020MW1; sold separately) is a hardwired remote control with an LCD display.
- RF Remote: The Clarion MF1 (020MF1, sold separately) is a RF remote control which is waterproof and designed to float. The MF1 meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure), ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure), and IP67 (International Protection Rating).
- WiFi Remote Module: The Clarion MF2 marine remote module (020MF2, sold separately) features built-in WiFi and allows you to control your 2009-up Clarion marine receiver via the free Clarion MF2 app on your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad (iOS 6.0+).
Note: When two remotes are used in combination with one another, Clarion's Y-adapter (020MWRYC, sold separately) is required.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Optional NMEA 2000 Interface Module: Clarion's MW6 NMEA 2000 Compliant interface module (020MW6, sold separately) allows Clarion marine source unit to be seamlessly added to your boat's onboard NMEA 2000 network, enabling control of the Clarion source unit directly from the boat's Multi-Function Display (MFD) device.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Clarion M505 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for aptX music streaming. You are able to wirelessly stream your stored music library, music apps, and other content on your Bluetooth source device to the Clarion marine receiver.
- SBC + aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the M505 incorporates the Qualcomm's lossless Bluetooth aptX codec (primarily for Android OS 4.0+ devices) which helps retain sound elements lost during digital compression of audio files, ensuring users the ability to always enjoy high quality sound with wireless convenience.
- Control & Display: The receiver provides basic playback control (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat) of your streaming Bluetooth audio through its front-panel. Advanced music browsing and navigation will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device. The head unit will display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
- Simple Secure Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth device to the Clarion M505 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to three Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Clarion head unit, but only one can be used at a time.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Clarion M505's front-panel USB port lets you connect select Apple iPods and iPhones for music playback. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or an Apple certified cable (sold separately). The M505 supports audio playback, control, display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Control: The Clarion head unit allows you to navigate your Apple device's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, Audiobooks, or Podcast. These categories and music files inside these categories will be listed alphabetically. The head unit also controls Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat functions. You can also choose to use the touchscreen of your connected Apple device to access additional music apps and other playback options.
- Display: The head unit will display artist name, song title, and album title from your Apple devices stored music library and select music apps (not compatible with all apps).
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Clarion M505 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 4/3/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Clarion M505 features a front panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-up cover. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of MP3 & WMA music files stored on a compatible USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port does not support connection of an Android OS device.
Compatible Music Files: The Clarion M505 supports the following types of MP3 & WMA files recorded onto a USB thumbdrive or other USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||USB (Mass Storage Class)|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling
rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||65,535 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (V2.0 or later), WMA tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The M505 provides a variety of playback & search functions that help find your music easier and allow you to enjoy your music even more.
- Top Function: The Top Function resets the USB device to the first track.
- Folder/File Select: This function allows you to select a folder containing MP3/WMA files and start playing from the first track in the folder.
- Scan Play: This function allows you to locate and play the first 10 seconds of all the tracks or the first 10 seconds of the first track of all the folders.
- Repeat Play: This function allows you to play a file currently being played in a MP3/WMA folder repeatedly.
- Random Play: This function allows you to play all tracks recorded on in a folder in a random order.
- Last Position Memory: If you turn off the unit while a USB device is playing, it will resume playback at the stopping point when it is turned on again.
Front-Panel Aux Input: The M505 feature a front panel 3.5mm auxiliary input so you connect your external portable audio player or portable satellite radio receiver to this head unit. You can set the Auxiliary input sensitivity level to Low, Mid, or High to match the volume output of your connected external audio device.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion M505 using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. The M505 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G) or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Music Control: The M505 provides control over the Pandora music service. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down or bookmark songs/artists that are currently playing.
- Song/Artist Display: The M505 will also display your Pandora station's song/artist information such as artist name, song title, and album title.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and is only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Clarion M505 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220S XV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- The Replay features allows you to pause, rewind, and replay live SiriusXM Satellite Radio on the current channel or station
- iTunes Tagging for your USB-connected iPod or iPhone
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Global Radio Tuner w/ Weather Band: The built-in multi-band tuner supports reception of radio stations just about anywhere in the world - which is nice when you're sailing around the globe or just across the gulf. And with Weather Band you'll always have the latest weather updates, including automatic reception of emergency weather information to keep your voyage as smooth as possible.
- AM/FM Radio: The Clarion M505 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner offering manual, seek, & preset tuning. 18 FM station presets and 6 AM station presets can stored; stations can be stored manually or automatically. Preset scan lets you quickly scan through all of your preset stations in a selected band. This function is useful when searching for a desired preset station. When Local seeking is turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received. This unit's tuner is initially set to USA frequency intervals, but can be changed to Europe, Asia, and Australia tuning.
- Weather Band: Weather Band channels include - CH1 (162.400MHz), CH2 (162.425MHz), CH3 (162.450MHz), CH4 (162.475MHz), CH5 (162.500MHz), CH6 (162.525MHz), & CH7 (162.550MHz).
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion M505 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the M505 are as follows:
- CTA-2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the M505 are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6Ch RCA Outputs: With 6-Channel 4-Volt RCA Outputs, you are free to add external power amplifiers to create a more powerful, sophisticated audio system. What's more, the 4-volt output assures a pure, high quality signal for your entire sound system. The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (+/-6) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse).
Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer preamp output (when activated) will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Through (full-range).
3-Band EQ + Presets: The Clarion M505 incorporates a 3-band EQ and 11 EQ presets. The EQ presets consist of Flat, Jazz, Pop, Classic, Rock, News, Urban, Rave, Movie, Techno, and User. The User preset allows you to adjust the head unit's 3-band EQ (Bass, Mid, & Treble) from -7 to +7. EQ settings are applied to all sources.
Loudness: The Loudness features enhances both the bass & treble frequencies at lower volumes.
Dual Zone Audio with Fixed Output: The Clarion M505 is fitted with a stereo line-level output (fixed) for Dual Zone audio; requires an external amplifier in Zone 2. With this function, it is possible to split your boat into two discrete zones to enjoy different volume levels of entertainment. For instance, the bow can be tuned-in to a higher volume level for enjoyment in the wind while the stern can enjoy the music at a lower volume to accommodate conversations. Volume levels from the fixed zone are controlled by optional external volume control device or "pot" (sold separately). This is ideal for separate areas such as salons, wakeboard towers, and open bows
Marine Speakers: The Clarion CMG1622R speakers are designed and treated for use in the harsh marine environment. The speakers meet or exceed the ASTM B117 Salt/Fog Exposure standard, as well as the ASTM D4329 UV Exposure standard. Each speaker features a mica-injected polypropylene cone woofer with a Santoprene rubber surround and a titanium dome tweeter. The basket and grille are made of durable UV resistant plastic. The magnet is fully enclosed to protect it from corrosion. The speaker includes stainless steel mounting screws and an integrated rubber mounting gasket for a watertight fit. The speaker frame and grille have an integrated liquid drain channel to allow water to escape from the front of the cone area. The CMG1622R speakers also feature corrosion-resistant gold-plated terminals.
- Frequency Response: 67 to 20,000 Hz
- Power Handling: 2 to 40 watts (RMS) / 100 watts (Peak)
- SPL Rating: 86 dB
- Impedance: 3 ohm
- Cutout Diameter: 5.678"
- Mounting Depth: 2.315"
- Mounting Height (without Grille): 0.992"
- Frame Diameter (without Grille) 6.588"
- Bolt Pattern (4 Holes): 4.345" (perimeter) x 6.125" (diagonal)
- Grille Size: 6.955" (diameter ) x 0.96" (height)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?