About the Clarion M508
Merrily, merrily down the stream (-ing music)
Merrily, merrily down the stream (-ing music)
Clarion's M508 digital media receiver lets you stream music from your smartphone or any Bluetooth device to your boat's sound system. Bluetooth aptX processing (also found in many Android smartphones) restores the sparkle that's lost during compression, so you'll enjoy much better sound quality.
Shape your sound your way
Clarion built this rugged marine receiver to last, but it's also designed to deliver outstanding sound. The 3-band parametric equalizer lets you adjust the highs, mids, and lows to suit your preferences, and you can use the built-in frequency filters and subwoofer controls to get the best possible performance from your system. You'll find the four sets of preamps handy if you're adding amplifiers to your sound system.
Dual zone control lets you split the boat into two distinct areas to suit your needs, one zone powered by the radio and the second by an external amp (sold separately). You'll be able to crank up the bow speakers and leave the cabin speakers at a more conversational level.
Make the most of your music sources
The M508 gives you mastery over your music collection. If you're a Pandora® Internet radio fan, you can listen to your favorite stations when your iPhone's connected via USB. Song and artist information shows up clearly on the sharp-looking black-on-white 2-line display.
If you've ripped your entire CD collection and gone digital, you can plug a thumb drive into the front USB port and enjoy all your favorite MP3 or WMA tunes, or you can play your digital music player through the handy front AUX input. You can also enjoy the vast array of programming on satelllite radio by connecting a SiriusXM tuner (sold separately, subscription required).
Tune into terrestrial radio
Clarion's excellent AM/FM tuner hauls in plenty of local radio stations, no matter where in the world "local" might turn out to be. You'll also be able to get the latest on changing conditions from the Weather Band.
The black-on-white face makes it easy to see what you're tuned into at the moment, and the controls make changing channels or sources a breeze, even when you're underway.
Clarion has earned its reputation for building marine electronics tough enough to withstand salt water, heavy fog, blistering sunlight, and lashing rain. The M508 is a versatile, multi-source receiver that's tough enough to handle the extremes of a marine environment.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- marine digital media receiver with AM/FM/WB tuner
- no internal CD player — plays MP3 and WMA music files from your iPod and other external sources
- built-in Bluetooth® for music streaming
- Bluetooth aptX for superior sound quality from Android phones
- enjoy Pandora using your iPhone®
- 2-line black-on-white LCD display
- for single-DIN applications
- specially sealed against the elements for use in the marine environment
- conformal-coated PCB circuit board
- covers for front USB and AUX inputs
- NMEA 2000 connectivity with optional MW6 module
- marine remote ready
- 3-band EQ with 11 preset sound curves
- fully-adjustable fader and control subwoofer controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- built-in iPod control
- inputs: front USB and AUX inputs
- outputs: 8-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, sub, zone 2)
Other Features and Specs:
- built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 92701
What's in the box:
- Marine digital media receiver
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim-ring (attached)
- Wiring harness
- 4 Counter-sunk screws
- 4 Hex-head screws
- 2 Removal tools
- Rear-support bolt
- Owners/Installation Manual
- Warranty Card
Clarion M508 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Clarion M508
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Bluish white|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Marine Tested: The Clarion M508 Marine digital media receiver has been engineered and tested for use in the harsh marine environment. The M508 meets ASTM B117 and ASTM D4329 guidelines ensuring the receiver's resistant to salt, fog and UV exposure. The receiver features a drip shield chassis to keep water from dripping onto the unit's internal circuits. In addition, the head unit's PCB and microprocessor are conformal coated to protect them from corrosion. It also has low power consumption when powered off.
High Visibility LCD: The two-line, 13-digit, high visibility LCD (with bluish white background and black characters) on the M508 allows numbers and characters to be displayed clearly in almost any lighting condition. The display's backlight brightness can be set to High or Low. You can turn the display's backlight off in the event the display is too bright in different lighting conditions.
Water Resistant Covers (optional): Even though the conformal coating makes the receiver water-resistant, it is still recommended that it be used with a universal marine cover (sold separately - see Accessories Tab)
Optional Wired & Wireless Remotes: The unit is equipped with a rear mounted 8-pin DIN connector to accommodate optional Clarion wired & wireless remote controls.
- Wired Remote: The MW1 (sold separately) is a hardwired remote control with an LCD screen. The MW4 (sold separately) is a more advanced wired remote with a 2.8" color LCD screen.
- RF Remote: The Clarion MF1 (sold separately) is a RF remote control which is waterproof and designed to float. The MF1 meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure), ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure), and IP67 (International Protection Rating).
- WiFi Remote Module: The Clarion MF2 marine remote module (sold separately) features built-in WiFi and allows you to control the Clarion marine receiver via the free Clarion MF2 app on your Apple iOS 6.0+ device.
Note: When two remotes are used in combination with one another, Clarion's MW-RYC-RET Y-adapter (sold separately) is required.
Optional NMEA 2000 Interface Module: Clarion's MW6 NMEA 2000 Compliant interface module (sold separately) allows Clarion marine source unit to be seamlessly added to your boat's onboard NMEA 2000 network, enabling control and two-way communication of the Clarion source unit directly from the boat's Multi-Function Display (MFD) device. Control functions include source and track selection, play/pause, and more. Two-way communication between the Clarion source unit and your MFD allows source selection, song/track/ album title, radio frequency and more to display on the MFD interface.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Clarion M508 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.4) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for aptX music streaming. You are able to wirelessly stream your stored music library, music apps, and other content on your Bluetooth source device to the Clarion marine receiver.
- SBC + aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the M508 incorporates the Qualcomm's lossless Bluetooth aptX codec (primarily for Android OS 4.0+ devices) which helps retain sound elements lost during digital compression of audio files, ensuring users the ability to always enjoy high quality sound with wireless convenience.
- Control & Display: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the M508 lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
- Simple Secure Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth device to the Clarion M508 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to three Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Clarion head unit, but only one can be used at a time.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Optional External Mic: You can purchase Clarion's RCB-204 optional external mic (sold separately) to add Hands-Free Communication and Siri Eyes Free Control to the Clarion M508 marine receiver.
- Hands-Free Communication: The M508 allows you to answer and end phone calls from its front-panel controls. When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your speaker and the phone number will be displayed. The optional mic (sold separately) is used to carry on your side of the conversation, while your speakers are used to listen to the other party. You can make a call using voice recognition, if your phone supports voice dialing (Siri for iPhone and Google Voice for Android). The M508 does not allow you to manually enter a phone number, download your phone call, or create phone presets.
- Siri Eyes-Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the M508 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and optional external mic (sold separately). Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's Answer/End button to engage Siri and use the optional mic to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the M508 and the optional mic. You even can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: In addition to the Clarion RCB-204 external mic (sold separately), you'll also need to activate Hands-Free Communication within the receiver's menu (by default it is turned off).
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Clarion M508's front-panel USB port lets you connect select Apple iPods and iPhones for music playback. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or an Apple certified cable (sold separately). The M508 supports audio playback, control, display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Control: The Clarion head unit allows you to navigate your Apple device's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, Audiobooks, or Podcast. These categories and music files inside these categories will be listed alphabetically. The head unit also controls Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat functions. You can also continue to use the touchscreen of your connected Apple device (running iOS 6.0 or newer) to access additional music apps and other playback options. Older iPods and iPhone's will be locked during connection.
- Display: The head unit will display artist name, song title, and album title from your Apple devices stored music library and select music apps (not compatible with all apps).
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Clarion M508 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 4/3/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB MSC Playback: The Clarion M508 features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-up cover. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files stored on a compatible USB memory device.
- Control: Control functions include Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Rewind, and Intro Scan (10 seconds).
- Display: The unit will display song/artist/album information along with track number and elapsed playing time.
- Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port does not support connection of an Android OS device, USB hub, or card-reader.
Front-Panel Aux Input: The M508 feature a front panel 3.5mm auxiliary input, so you connect an external portable audio player.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion M508 using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. The M508 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G) or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Music Control: The M508 provides control over the Pandora music service. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down or bookmark songs/artists that are currently playing.
- Song/Artist Display: The M508 will also display your Pandora station's song/artist information such as artist name, song title, and album title.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and is only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Clarion M508 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Song/Artist/Album Display: Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display.
- Category Search: The Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category.
- Presets: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets for easier access.
- Replay & Jump: The Replay feature allows you to pause, rewind, and replay live SiriusXM Satellite Radio content from the current SiriusXM channel you are listening to. You can rewind or fast forward content 5, 10, or 30 seconds. During replay you can also jump to a live signal of that same SiriusXM channel.
- Parental Lock: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Global Radio Tuner w/ Weather Band: The built-in multi-band tuner supports reception of radio stations just about anywhere in the world - which is nice when you're sailing around the globe or just across the gulf. And with Weather Band you'll always have the latest weather updates, including automatic reception of emergency weather information to keep your voyage as smooth as possible.
- AM/FM Radio: The Clarion M508 is equipped with a
built-in AM/FM tuner offering manual, seek, and preset tuning (with preset
scan). 18 FM station presets and 6 AM station presets can stored; stations
can be stored manually or automatically. Preset scan lets you quickly scan
through all of your preset stations in a selected band. This function is
useful when searching for a desired preset station. When Local seeking is
turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be
received. This unit's tuner is initially set to USA frequency intervals, but
can be changed to Europe, Australia, and other countries tuning.
- USA: FM (87.9-107.9 MHz) / AM (530-1710 kHz)
- Europe: FM (87.5-108.0 MHz) / AM 531-1602 kHz)
- Australia/Other Countries: FM (87.5-108.0MHz / AM (531-1629 kHz)
- Weather Band: Weather Band channels include - CH1 (162.400MHz), CH2 (162.425MHz), CH3 (162.450MHz), CH4 (162.475MHz), CH5 (162.500MHz), CH6 (162.525MHz), & CH7 (162.550MHz).
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion M508 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the M508 are as follows:
- CTA-2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the M508 are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6Ch RCA Outputs: With 6-Channel/4-Volt RCA Outputs, you are free to add external power amplifiers to create a more powerful, sophisticated audio system. What's more, the 4-volt output assures a pure, high quality signal for your entire sound system. The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (0-12).
3-Band EQ + Presets: The Clarion M508 incorporates a 3-band EQ and 11 EQ presets. The EQ presets consist of Flat, Jazz, Pop, Classic, Rock, News, Urban, Rave, Movie, Techno, and User. The User preset allows you to adjust the head unit's 3-band EQ (Bass, Mid, & Treble) from -7 to +7. EQ settings are applied to all sources.
Dual Zone Audio with Fixed Output: The Clarion M508 is fitted with a stereo line-level output (fixed) for Dual Zone audio (requires an external amplifier in Zone 2). With this function, it is possible to split your boat into two discrete zones to enjoy different volume levels of the same audio source. For instance, the bow can be tuned-in to a higher volume level for enjoyment in the wind while the stern can enjoy the music at a lower volume to accommodate conversations. Volume levels from the fixed zone are controlled by optional external volume control device (such as the 142RLC - sold separately). This is ideal for separate areas such as salons, wakeboard towers, and open bows.
Beep Confirmation: The marine head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
The Clarion M508 replaces these items
- built-in Bluetooth® for music streaming
- enjoy Pandora internet radio using your iPhone®
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
12 questions already asked